Traveling with Grandparents: Where Should we Stay?

SwanVT2

DIS Veteran
With rates being released soon, we are looking forward to booking our end of June 2020 vacation with my parents. It will be grandparents, me and DD 8. I really need separate space to sleep from my folks who stay up late and get up early (while I go to bed early and wake up early). Here is what I am considering:

1 Bedroom at OKW with living room sleeper sofa bed and twin bed for DD. How is the soundproofing between living room and bedroom if my parents stay up late to watch TV?
Book connecting rooms at POFQ or POR (I know this is not guaranteed)? My parents are fine with walking. DD might enjoy the Alligator Bayou rooms with the trundle bed- I know this would not be guaranteed.
Book 1 bedroom with connecting studio at BWV (I love the location and DD loves the pool) but I'm sure this would be pricey!!

Any other suggestions I am not thinking of? I have looked into Swan and Dolphin, but since the renovation their prices have skyrocketed and we might as well stay on Disney property. I think my parents will arrive a week before we do to "get Disney out of their system" because they are go, go, go, while with DD it'll have to be slower with breaks. They will have a rental car.
Thank you!

If they arrive a week before you it might be difficult to have rooms near each other unless they move rooms once you get there. Although probably the most expensive option, I think the one bedroom and studio would be a great option. Lots of space for everyone. With your parents in the studio they can come and go as they please without disturbing you. If you do book this it would be booked as a two bedroom lockoff, this would guarantee the rooms are connected. If booked as a separate studio and one bedroom the rooms could be far apart.

The room isn’t really sound proof from the bedroom to living so you would probably hear the tv in there unless on low volume.

The room isn’t really sound proof from the bedroom to living so you would probably hear the tv in there unless on low volume.

Really? I stayed in a 2 bedroom at SSR and was thoroughly impressed with the soundproofing. I guess we could hear the TV if it was loud, but not clearly, if you know what I mean.

DH and I are used to yelling out instructions to our kids from our bedroom. But at SSR, they could only hear muffled voices, even when they were in the living room. I joke that I had to get up constantly to go tell them things. Felt like I walked more in that 2 bedroom villa than the parks sometimes haha!

Really? I stayed in a 2 bedroom at SSR and was thoroughly impressed with the soundproofing. I guess we could hear the TV if it was loud, but not clearly, if you know what I mean.

DH and I are used to yelling out instructions to our kids from our bedroom. But at SSR, they could only hear muffled voices, even when they were in the living room. I joke that I had to get up constantly to go tell them things. Felt like I walked more in that 2 bedroom villa than the parks sometimes haha!
I’ve only stayed in a two bedroom once and that room I couldn’t hear from the main bedroom. It’s not terrible insulation, but my husband was watching a movie in the living room and I was in the bedroom with the door shut and could hear it. Not perfectly, it was muffled, but I’m a light sleeper and it would have kept me up if I had been trying to sleep. I’m sensitive to sound so maybe it’s just me

2 rooms at POFQ. It’s a small resort which really cuts down on the amount of walking. It also has beautiful gardens to sit outside and enjoy and a nice lounge to enjoy an adult beverage and live music. The hot tub area is separate from the pool, making it a bit quieter and less chaotic. And having the ferry boat to Disney Springs is a great option!

With rates being released soon, we are looking forward to booking our end of June 2020 vacation with my parents. It will be grandparents, me and DD 8. I really need separate space to sleep from my folks who stay up late and get up early (while I go to bed early and wake up early). Here is what I am considering:

1 Bedroom at OKW with living room sleeper sofa bed and twin bed for DD. How is the soundproofing between living room and bedroom if my parents stay up late to watch TV?
Book connecting rooms at POFQ or POR (I know this is not guaranteed)? My parents are fine with walking. DD might enjoy the Alligator Bayou rooms with the trundle bed- I know this would not be guaranteed.
Book 1 bedroom with connecting studio at BWV (I love the location and DD loves the pool) but I'm sure this would be pricey!!

Any other suggestions I am not thinking of? I have looked into Swan and Dolphin, but since the renovation their prices have skyrocketed and we might as well stay on Disney property. I think my parents will arrive a week before we do to "get Disney out of their system" because they are go, go, go, while with DD it'll have to be slower with breaks. They will have a rental car.
Thank you!

FYI: The small trundle bed in POR is a booking category, so it is as guaranteed as anything can be. Connecting rooms are not guaranteed. If you book preferred rooms at POR and get 2 rooms, they may or may not be connecting, but there are only 4 buildings in this category, and I believe that these are all able to sleep a 5th (child). But be aware that there are no elevators in AB buildings and there are two floors.

If you have the grandparents with you, check the senior rates at the Swan/Dolphin (62 or older). Sometimes the rates are better than others, but these are the best discounts AFAIK. You can also get an alcove suite with a connecting room here that is less expensive than two regular rooms and that may fit your family. I would call and check on that. Be. sure to ask for the senior discount. Also, keep checking as prices seem to fluctuate at the Swan/Dolphin.

I like the WL or the CR (garden wing), if they fit your budget with elderly and children. Doesn't hurt to check the prices, at least.

Enjoy!

If your parents are arriving a week early then I would book two rooms. When your parents check into the resort they can ask to have your room blocked off, which means that they assign a room to you and block it so that another cast member doesn't give it to someone else. This would not be a guarantee but it would give you the best chance of success.

I agree with PP's. I would book 2 rooms (POR or POFQ) or a 2-bedroom villa. I, personally, wouldn't want to be sleeping on a pull-out in a villa living room for a week as I don't find them very comfortable. As PP mentioned, you can book a "5th sleeper" room at POR to guarantee the trundle, but you would have to book 2 "5th sleepers" to get both rooms in Alligator Bayou and it sounds like that extra bed is kind of unnecessary as only 2 guests will be occupying both rooms. Perhaps consider the Royal Rooms at POR? They are super cute.

We really love 2-bedroom villas. It guarantees connecting rooms, plus you get a full kitchen and washer/dryer which I find really handy and helps me cut down on the amount of clothing we pack. I, personally, would take any 2-bedroom on property over 2 rooms as I just love the in-room amenities and the fact that the 2-bedroom set-up typically cuts down on hallway noise.

As PP mentioned, keep checking the Swan/Dolphin rates as they fluctuate often and do call to ask about the 2-bedroom suites at both resorts. We just stayed in a 2-bedroom executive suite at the Dolphin over spring break and the entire unit (one room with 2 doubles, a huge living room and a king bedroom) was less than a standard room at Poly that week (about $700 total per night). We have another one booked for virtually the same price at Swan for the end of August.

Should you decide to book the BWV, make sure you book a two bedroom lockoff and not a studio and a one bedroom unless you don't want to be near each other.

Isn't a two bedroom kick-off a combination of a studio and a one bedroom?
Yes, a two bedroom lockoff is a combination of a studio and a one bedroom. BUT, if you book a one bedroom and a studio, you may or may not get a two bedroom lockoff. And even if you do, you will be charged the points required for a one bedroom and a studio, not a two bedroom which would be less. You need to book a two bedroom if that is what you want.

Another suggestion no one has brought up is the AoA family suites. If you can sleep in a full bed pull down and your daughter the sofa pull out, then you can give your parents the main bedroom and they will still have their own bathroom and such. I dunno what the noise level is like at that hotel but at least you don't have to worry about being too far away from each other when you and your daughter arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter