Traveling with My God-Daughter....Playdate Groups?

OnceUponATrip

Duffy's #1 Fan
Hi Everyone,
I am taking my god-daughter to Disney for her birthday in April. It will be just her and I, and I am worrying she may get bored just hanging out with me all day. She loves the parks, especially Toy Story Land at HS, but her favorite part of visiting WDW is meeting other kids and hanging out at the lines. I was wondering if there are play-date groups at the parks? I know the resorts of daycare centers where the kids have activities, but I don't want to lose time at the parks.

-Carol (NY)

This is something I have never heard of? I think most people are just hanging with their own group at the parks. Also the kid’s clubs at the resorts closed last year. The one idea I have is the pool. My girls always met other kids to play with while swimming at our resort. As someone who grew up going to WDW, my brother and I also had a lot of fun meeting and swimming with other kids at the hotel.

Hi Everyone,
I am taking my god-daughter to Disney for her birthday in April. It will be just her and I, and I am worrying she may get bored just hanging out with me all day. She loves the parks, especially Toy Story Land at HS, but her favorite part of visiting WDW is meeting other kids and hanging out at the lines. I was wondering if there are play-date groups at the parks? I know the resorts of daycare centers where the kids have activities, but I don't want to lose time at the parks.

-Carol (NY)

I understand your concern:). For the past 12 years, the man and I have taken our DGD on vacations that revolve around her wants and needs. About 7 years back, we started bringing a cousin or two with us to ensure that she had more buddies than the "old peoples";). Unfortunately, sometimes schedules don't mesh and its just her and us. I make sure that she's involved in the planning stage as much as she wants to be, ride with her on the coasters so she has a screaming partner, help her pick out new dishes to eat and give impromptu lessons on the history of most anything that hits her eyes (World Showcase and fabrics perk most of her interest) and allow the man to spoil her rotten with purchases I pretend I don't see and they dunk each other in the pool and water parks-mostly it's the man getting dunked but I digress.

I don't know how old your god child is but these are the best general guidelines I can give - let her enjoy having time with you. She'll cherish it and understand what you gave of yourself when she has children of her own at the latest. Places to meet other children definitely include the resort's pool, movie nights, marshmallow roasts, and various other hotel sponsored kid activities.

HTH and have fun out there.

Thanks everyone. I will set aside some pool time, on our last trip we had very long days and she was starting to get antsy. She is turning 6 years old while we are there.

My son seems to make friends at the pool, too. He loved the pool parties the last time we were there (he turned 7 on the trip.) Before that he liked the quiet pools because there were less people and everyone seemed to socialize a bit more. I would also let her burn off some steam at the resort playground and some of the play areas/activities that you run into in the parks. It won't be super efficient but she will probably have fun.

One idea for the next trip--you might want to look into a Disney cruise. They have a ton kid group activities all day long in the kids club on the ship :)

With my kids I always tried to make play time especially if there was a playground at the resort. Often there would be other kids to play with; I found it was helpful to let them just run and play in addition to being entertained in the parks.

If you can hit the pool while the activities are going on and she wants to participate then she will be interacting with other kids there as well.

I tried to let my kids play anytime there was an opportunity and there are more play areas in each of the parks now, if you see one stop and let her run around for a while in between rides and shows!

With my kids I always tried to make play time especially if there was a playground at the resort. Often there would be other kids to play with; I found it was helpful to let them just run and play in addition to being entertained in the parks.

If you can hit the pool while the activities are going on and she wants to participate then she will be interacting with other kids there as well.

I tried to let my kids play anytime there was an opportunity and there are more play areas in each of the parks now, if you see one stop and let her run around for a while in between rides and shows!
This is much as I did with my children and DGD when all were younger. Used to take them, DGD and my kiddos, to various concerts in Central Park when they were growing up and always made sure to sit near a playground or play area so when they became restless we could slip away and let them play the way the wished. Nice that Disney recognizes this parenting idea and provides alternatives:cool:.

May I never be that child carer who says the fatal words: "I spent_______ to bring you here blah blah blah".

I just had another thought! I'm dating myself here--but back in the early 80's my parents dropped me off for an art program during our WDW trip. I'm not sure if WDW even does this anymore--it was a half day program which met at the transportation center in a classroom. We then were taken to MK and around to look at different art in the park. Then we went back and learned how to draw Mickey etc etc. I remember not wanting to go but ending up having a blast with kids I met (and can still draw a pretty fantastic Mickey). Just an idea, again not sure if they even do this anymore but maybe they have other kid programs that are similar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter