Traveling with older teens & twenties

travelinglibrarian

Earning My Ears
I know there is some information on this topic buried in the Other Options thread and a few other places, which I have reviewed, but I wondered if there is any new or additional info out there. After five great family ABD trips, I recently took my first Backroads trip (Couples, Friends & Solos, Amalfi Walking & Hiking) with a good friend. It was amazing - wonderful food, personal experiences, breathtaking hotels, and fantastic guides. It was the best group tour experience I have ever had. Full disclosure - there were only four people in our group, with two guides! Backroads doesn't cancel trips because of low numbers:) .
Because of this, and because of some frustrating booking experiences with ABD, I'm curious what other families are doing as their children get older - mine are now 23, 18 & 16. We would like to take trips where we can be physically active - hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, etc. - combined with great cultural experiences. Backroads has tours for families with older teens and twenties, which sound like a good fit. I'm wondering if anyone has taken any trips (with Backroads or another company) that cater to families with older teens and young adult children? Have you found any of the ABD itineraries to be a good fit for this age group? We are only a few years from having access to Adult Only itineraries, but I have seen conflicting reports on the typical ages for those and I'm not sure if they would be appropriate. We are more "hiking and history" people than "bus tour and shopping" people.
Thanks!

We just got back from the Alaska trip and there were way more "kids" in the 18 to 22 group than in the Junior Adventurer group. 3 kids met the definition of JA and the rest were 14 and up with quite a few recent HS grads and college age. This trip also definitely fits your definition of hiking, rafting, kayaking, bike riding. We loved it as did my 14 and 16 year olds.

Full disclosure - there were only four people in our group, with two guides! Backroads doesn't cancel trips because of low numbers:) .

Backroads canceled my family’s 2019 Iceland trip due to low numbers. When I called back to discuss my family’s options, I was asked to state my trip dates specifically because they had canceled so many trips, the employee wasn’t sure which trip I was referencing.
I know that wasn’t the point of your post.
Anyway, we have since booked with Thomson Family who will not cancel due to low numbers. Haven’t gone yet but have Canadian Rockies and Ireland booked.

We just got back from the Alaska trip and there were way more "kids" in the 18 to 22 group than in the Junior Adventurer group. 3 kids met the definition of JA and the rest were 14 and up with quite a few recent HS grads and college age. This trip also definitely fits your definition of hiking, rafting, kayaking, bike riding. We loved it as did my 14 and 16 year olds.
I agree with this re: Alaska. Our Australia trip skewed older for ages as well. It's a very active trip.

I know there is some information on this topic buried in the Other Options thread and a few other places, which I have reviewed, but I wondered if there is any new or additional info out there. After five great family ABD trips, I recently took my first Backroads trip (Couples, Friends & Solos, Amalfi Walking & Hiking) with a good friend. It was amazing - wonderful food, personal experiences, breathtaking hotels, and fantastic guides. It was the best group tour experience I have ever had. Full disclosure - there were only four people in our group, with two guides! Backroads doesn't cancel trips because of low numbers:) .
Because of this, and because of some frustrating booking experiences with ABD, I'm curious what other families are doing as their children get older - mine are now 23, 18 & 16. We would like to take trips where we can be physically active - hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, etc. - combined with great cultural experiences. Backroads has tours for families with older teens and twenties, which sound like a good fit. I'm wondering if anyone has taken any trips (with Backroads or another company) that cater to families with older teens and young adult children? Have you found any of the ABD itineraries to be a good fit for this age group? We are only a few years from having access to Adult Only itineraries, but I have seen conflicting reports on the typical ages for those and I'm not sure if they would be appropriate. We are more "hiking and history" people than "bus tour and shopping" people.
Thanks!
I am very much interested in the replies for this as well. Our kids are 22 and 19 now, and active adventures are more what we've been leaning toward lately. I haven't investigated Backroads much, but I've heard good things about them. I am also frustrated with ABD. I really hate their booking process and bait & switch with early pricing. Really annoying.

Backroads canceled my family’s 2019 Iceland trip due to low numbers. When I called back to discuss my family’s options, I was asked to state my trip dates specifically because they had canceled so many trips, the employee wasn’t sure which trip I was referencing.
I know that wasn’t the point of your post.
Anyway, we have since booked with Thomson Family who will not cancel due to low numbers. Haven’t gone yet but have Canadian Rockies and Ireland booked.
I wondered how Backroads did it, with so many departures and specialized age ranges. I was honestly surprised to have such a small group. I'm sorry for your family - that stinks!
I looked at Thomson, but couldn't get a feel for the age range. They have some interesting itineraries!

Alaska is finally on our radar and I like the idea of the land tour. Cruising can be a relaxing way to travel, but I miss having relaxing dinners and exploring cities & towns in the evening. I will look into it - thank you!

I agree with this re: Alaska. Our Australia trip skewed older for ages as well. It's a very active trip.
Australia is on our radar for 2021, when my husband has a month-long sabbatical. It looks like a great itinerary. We are trying to decide the best time of year - and how add time in New Zealand as well.

Alaska is finally on our radar and I like the idea of the land tour. Cruising can be a relaxing way to travel, but I miss having relaxing dinners and exploring cities & towns in the evening. I will look into it - thank you!
I totally agree with this. I love the convenience with cruising of only unpacking/packing once, but I hate having to be back on the ship by 4pm. The Alaska ABD is really great!

Sayhello

I wondered how Backroads did it, with so many departures and specialized age ranges. I was honestly surprised to have such a small group. I'm sorry for your family - that stinks!
I looked at Thomson, but couldn't get a feel for the age range. They have some interesting itineraries!
I think the Thomson Family age range varies totally by who books. This summer is Canada. My kids are 12 and 19 and this trip has total of 7 “kids” booked: 21, 19, 15, and three 12 year old boys, and a 7 year old. It’s a maximum capacity trip at 16 people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!