Travellers Cheques

Mrs Doubtfire

DIS Veteran
i know they are antiquated but you can still buy them from John Lewis and Eurochange. However, the guy in eurochange said today that a lot of places now charge a % fee when you use them abroad.

I have never had this at WDW (which is where I normally use them), has anyone had any recent experience?

Friends of ours found that several places wouldn't cash them last year but I'm not sure of where.

Hi

We use a Revolut card a bit like a preloaded debit card, lots of good features like being able to but $ in advance when the exchange is good and you can freeze the cards if you are not using them. All controlled from an app.

BR

Yes at eurochange they wanted me to have the card, but I like to control the spending by taking a set amount each day and it's too risky to take just cash.

Travellers Cheques are Past History

Just use your UK ATM Card or UK Credit Card & take out X amount of $ at a time

Use card at a Proper Bank ( Not the ATM's at Publix or Walmart or other Shops )

If you have Chip & Pin then use either Card at Shops & Eating Places ...... Never leave your card Out of your HAND

IF you have a rental car Then PRE PAY at Desk ,with card , & get a receipt ... If tank is Full ... go back for Change

I know what you're saying Woodview but you did t mention to check the fees on the cards which can make for some hefty charges. according to Money Savings Expert mine is one of the poor ones and he advises not to use it, to use a card I would need to apply for another one.

Our trip last year was the first one where we did not use travellers cheques.
We charged pretty much everything to our Magic Bands when we were on Disney property & only had to pay one exchange rate charge on our card when we got home.
When not onsite, we paid cash or for larger purchases we used a card.

Take a mixture..I’ve got a FairFX travel card (preloaded with a set amount). Have money in a bank account that I can add to the card if necessary, if not it remains there. Will also take dollars and have my credit card for emergencies. Have not used travellers cheques for well over 12 years now.

Doesn’t matter what technology changes if it ain’t broke don’t mend it and NOTHING is ever going to be easier than using a travellers cheque for part purchase part cash especially when spending a day in the theme parks.

Doesn’t matter what technology changes if it ain’t broke don’t mend it and NOTHING is ever going to be easier than using a travellers cheque for part purchase part cash especially when spending a day in the theme parks.

Check if your thinking is correct Before you buy Travellers Cheques .

Easy option is to add / top up money to your normal ATM card & Credit Card before you leave home.

NO need to take Dollars ( Yes take about $100 for first day ) & use your Cards

As required & take note of how much Dollars you have taken out each time.

Your Normal UK. PIN no. works in most countries

As Regards Charges ....... does £ a pound or two matter ... in the Context of

How much your holiday is costing .

Woodview, the charge on my card is over £2 per transaction, so if I took no money and say used the card 5 times per day (breakfast, lunch, dinner, a snack or drink and a souvenir for example then over three weeks that would be over two hundred pounds, and that doesn't include shopping at the mall, Target or Walmart! So although a few pounds is fine for one or two transactions, I'd rather spend that amount of money on me. That's why I might have to apply for another fee free card.

TBH now my kids are older I probably don’t need travellers cheques but it was a great way to pay for bits and still get dollars change for tips and kids spending money.
Most things I put on credit card/magic band anyway.
It was such an easy system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter