Travelling Pilot Plan - only 2 day Quarantine

For me I guess my concern is that there was a knee-jerk "Vacation Shaming" tag applied to my earlier post --- when it did not deserve it.... Throw all the "mental health/addicition issue" diatribes at me you want.... Yeah it's a major stress point for everyone... literally EVERYONE ---- you think it's not hard for seniors in homes, for kids in schools or who can't go, those with pre-existing conditions, for those who've lost work, etc... then give your head a shake. My bottom line is this....

Travel in Canada if that's an option..... follow the local rules when you arrive for your trip and when your return.... you're being responsible --- enjoy because you're helping Canadian business and economy --- and having an awesome vacation experience --- because Canada has a SO MANY different vacation options .

For those traveling outside Canada because they NEED to travel there and are going to places where things are being handled responsibly (not the US for the most part), and then are respecting the testing/quarantine on your return --- you are being responsible. Fill your boots!

If you're going to travel where you NEED to travel where stuff is out of control (the US seems to fit here) and then are respecting the testing/quarantine on your return --- you are being responsible ---- but you need to be extra careful on your return. (Florida is not safer than Canada.) Maybe WDW/universal are taking precautions but they have employees -- who have family and friends who are NOT social distancing or wearing masks, you're at the airport, you're in an UBER or Cab, etc... which is outside the bubble) --- but zero travel shaming here --- be responsible when you come back --- that's all.

If you're going to travel where you WANT to travel for leisure regardless of whether stuff is out of control (the US seems to fit here) and then can't wait to find some sort of out for testing/quarantine on your return --- you are NOT being responsible. I WILL travel shame these people all day.... because they've basically said "who cares" about fellow Canadians who lives and livelihoods depend on us getting this virus under control. To be honest I have way more sympathy for the viability of my local restaurant owner than i do for someone who simply can't wait to get to WDW and is looking to not have follow local requirements on return.

For the sake of Canadian lives and economy --- be responsible. That's all, that's it.... you don't want your vacation to present a risk to others --- follow restrictions on return even if it's not convenient to you! Just think about how this might affect others --- not just yourself.

Last edited:

It's all about what you're used to. I also have lived in Ottawa most of my life (a few years in Toronto and Kingston) and Ottawa winters are just what they are. Brutal if you're not accustomed to it but if you grew up here it's just what winter is. Some winters we can get a long cold snap and others we get no more than a day or two of the real cold. Some years are really snowy other not so much. This again depends somewhat on where you live in the city (west or east or south) I still enjoy the change of season and rarely go away in winter. Late fall and late spring are my travel seasons.

Just give me some sunshine and I can get through the winter. Cloudy days get to me.

Already knowing that I have the possibility of being able to get away in the winter from the bitter cold that hurts your lungs to even breathe it in when you step outside has lifted my spirits. Knowing that I can travel ( responsibly ) if we feel we have found a place we feel is safe.

I have the possibility of dreaming again. Even if we don't book one for late March/April in 2021, I can dream, plan and look forward to my 50th birthday trip in Jan of 2022. Because I WILL be going on that trip - even if I go by myself!!! I was hoping to do a group trip for whoever wants to join in! I do not want to be freezing my butt off because it is almost always - 40 +for my birthday...so we decide to go no where because it is so cold outside. I realize that is a first world problem....but give a 50 yr old gal a break :rolleyes1 She just wants to not be freezing her butt off for at least one of her birthdays in her lifetime.

Every year we keep saying we will do a winter vacation and sure enough every year we look at the prices and say wow look how much cheaper it is in August. Key West was so hot we tried to sit out at the restaurant on the pier where the ships dock and started feeling dizzy before the waitress even got to us. One guy in the hotel lobby passed out during breakfast. So what did we do about it? The next summer went to Universal. It's always cold for mine and DW's birthday but the prices keep us away. I hope you get to enjoy your warm 50 year old warm vacation. I'm sure for my 52 it will be super cold, maybe even freezing rain or nuclear winter

Already knowing that I have the possibility of being able to get away in the winter from the bitter cold that hurts your lungs to even breathe it in when you step outside has lifted my spirits. Knowing that I can travel ( responsibly ) if we feel we have found a place we feel is safe.

I have the possibility of dreaming again. Even if we don't book one for late March/April in 2021, I can dream, plan and look forward to my 50th birthday trip in Jan of 2022. Because I WILL be going on that trip - even if I go by myself!!! I was hoping to do a group trip for whoever wants to join in! I do not want to be freezing my butt off because it is almost always - 40 +for my birthday...so we decide to go no where because it is so cold outside. I realize that is a first world problem....but give a 50 yr old gal a break :rolleyes1 She just wants to not be freezing her butt off for at least one of her birthdays in her lifetime.

My 50th is March 2022 and I am certainly planning a DL trip for then! I spent my 40th and 42nd birthday there so where else would I want to spend my 50th? :)

I"ve lived in ottawa my whole 60 years,and while there has been years with a lot of snow and cold temperatures,it isn't common by any means.

This! I just moved from there (lived there from 2013 - 2020) and NEVER experienced -45 (or even close), or any of the other stuff mentioned. Snow was most definitely never up to my second story, let alone until May, etc.

It's all about what you're used to. I also have lived in Ottawa most of my life (a few years in Toronto and Kingston) and Ottawa winters are just what they are. Brutal if you're not accustomed to it but if you grew up here it's just what winter is. Some winters we can get a long cold snap and others we get no more than a day or two of the real cold. Some years are really snowy other not so much. This again depends somewhat on where you live in the city (west or east or south) I still enjoy the change of season and rarely go away in winter. Late fall and late spring are my travel seasons.

Just give me some sunshine and I can get through the winter. Cloudy days get to me.

I was from Victoria (where I am again since June), and even for me, the Ottawa winters were never THAT bad. I lived there from 2013 - 2020. You get some cold snaps, and sure there can be a lot of snow, but not extreme cold for the most part.

I thought sometimes you may not have symptoms until 2 days from when you got COVID. Does a test show positive right away if you caught it that day at the airport your testing at?

No it won't. It takes a number of days from when you get infected until there is enough of the virus present for the test to be able to detect it and test as positive.

Also, FYI, per CDC, "The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days, with a median time of 4-5 days from exposure to symptoms onset. One study reported that 97.5% of persons with COVID-19 who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of SARS-CoV-2 infection."

There was a case reported in Australia of a traveller who entered Australia and went into their mandatory government-managed 14 day quarantine. The person didn't test positive until day 14 !! I can't imagine how devastating that must have been - both to test positive and also the emotional roller coaster of thinking you are about to be able to leave quarantine and then to get that positive test and everything that will entail.

This! I just moved from there (lived there from 2013 - 2020) and NEVER experienced -45 (or even close), or any of the other stuff mentioned. Snow was most definitely never up to my second story, let alone until May, etc.
Honestly, I was just responding to the suggestion that I didn't know winter. I didn't necessarily want to start a war over who has a worse winter. I have mostly lived in Ottawa since '74 and embrace our winter. I have also lived in London ON, Toronto (born, but only there for my 1st year), Montreal, and Edmonton. So I know winter pretty well. Yes, -45 is a sort of exaggeration, we often have windchills in that range in the mornings, but actual temperatures are really in the -30's and that is not uncommon. 2018-19 winter was one of the coldest on record, with the longest ever stretch of -20C days (IIRC - couldn't find the exact wording for the record on google). At least 3 winters in my current home I have had snow to the 2nd level of my home, and I have the pictures to prove it. Lots of places in Canada have brutal winters, its a part of what defines us as Canadians, and many of us like to escape them. Not this year for my family however.

There aren’t many places that are wide open to travel to in Canada right now. Even something like Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara says it’s closed til March 2021! Possibly longer... this would be only a couple of hours driving distance for us, somewhere we would take our kids. We plan to travel this winter if the testing is offered in lieu of the 14 day quarantine. I do actually think it is also a step in helping leisure travel. Some vacation providers are even offering COVID insurance to book those winter trips, but most can’t quarantine. With the test, more people will go and yes even leisure travel will help boost the economy a little. I think it goes without saying that MOST people plan to follow the recommendations if they plan to travel, this is why it’s great news. Some folks say they won’t judge if you choose to travel, but in the same breath will tell you to stay home or close to home... or that they wouldn’t do it. There IS judging, there will be some social shaming... well... it’s just the way it will be for a while. Travel was never without risks. Having said that, we will do it as safely as possible, for us and others.

YES! We decided months ago not to trick or treat tomorrow as it would be easier to know in advance than last minute cancel.
I found a farm an hour and a bit away and booked a farm experience for the kiddos. And it’s not in our health unit and I’ve had people go nuts on me as it’s non essential travel. I will get gas here and pack food. We will have limited contact with the farm owner outside and will be masked . I feel 99.9% safe but 100% sick to my stomach as the shamers /friends have made me feel like I’m risking my children’s lives. I almost don’t want to go and that would disappoint the kiddos and be a $180 loss.

There aren’t many places that are wide open to travel to in Canada right now. Even something like Great Wolf Lodge in Niagara says it’s closed til March 2021! Possibly longer... this would be only a couple of hours driving distance for us, somewhere we would take our kids. We plan to travel this winter if the testing is offered in lieu of the 14 day quarantine. I do actually think it is also a step in helping leisure travel. Some vacation providers are even offering COVID insurance to book those winter trips, but most can’t quarantine. With the test, more people will go and yes even leisure travel will help boost the economy a little. I think it goes without saying that MOST people plan to follow the recommendations if they plan to travel, this is why it’s great news. Some folks say they won’t judge if you choose to travel, but in the same breath will tell you to stay home or close to home... or that they wouldn’t do it. There IS judging, there will be some social shaming... well... it’s just the way it will be for a while. Travel was never without risks. Having said that, we will do it as safely as possible, for us and others.

YES! We decided months ago not to trick or treat tomorrow as it would be easier to know in advance than last minute cancel.
I found a farm an hour and a bit away and booked a farm experience for the kiddos. And it’s not in our health unit and I’ve had people go nuts on me as it’s non essential travel. I will get gas here and pack food. We will have limited contact with the farm owner outside and will be masked . I feel 99.9% safe but 100% sick to my stomach as the shamers /friends have made me feel like I’m risking my children’s lives. I almost don’t want to go and that would disappoint the kiddos and be a $180 loss.

You are being as safe as can be, and quite frankly I would ignore the comments from any ”well meaning” friends altogether. Time is not coming back, we need to learn to move forward with this. At the same time, if someone chooses to stay in their home for the next year or more, I am not judging.

Honestly, I was just responding to the suggestion that I didn't know winter. I didn't necessarily want to start a war over who has a worse winter. I have mostly lived in Ottawa since '74 and embrace our winter. I have also lived in London ON, Toronto (born, but only there for my 1st year), Montreal, and Edmonton. So I know winter pretty well. Yes, -45 is a sort of exaggeration, we often have windchills in that range in the mornings, but actual temperatures are really in the -30's and that is not uncommon. 2018-19 winter was one of the coldest on record, with the longest ever stretch of -20C days (IIRC - couldn't find the exact wording for the record on google). At least 3 winters in my current home I have had snow to the 2nd level of my home, and I have the pictures to prove it. Lots of places in Canada have brutal winters, its a part of what defines us as Canadians, and many of us like to escape them. Not this year for my family however.

Gotta love our Canadian climate. I grew up in the Eastern Townships and I remember snow and lots of it. A few years ago I was transferred to Montreal and that was the first place I have ever lived that I had to keep a shovel in the trunk of the car because you never know when you will need it because it wasn't snowing 2 or 3 hours ago. Ya it gets cold especially when half your shift is outside. I believe you there. If anyone wants to come to work with me up in Northern Ontario they have snow already. I've swapped my winter wheels on already and packed warm clothes. I have personally experienced -54 in Hearst back in 1993. I just hope my fragile frame can take it again this year LOL

Sounds awesome!!!! Have fun! That sounds like a terrific experience that is very low risk. Honestly, it sounds safer than going to any store or to school. I am jealous!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter