Tri Circle D Ranch

I thought that was due to throw-away rooms, and from what I've read now, to get early entry to SWGE. ;)
I think they could probably expand the campground and it would still book up.

we're looking at getting a camper in the next few years, camping at the fort is on the list for us.

Were the rental campers owned and operated by Disney? I know there are/were recommended rental companies.

Regarding the cabins, which are fantastic, I often wondered why there didn't build a few larger cabins (2 bedroom/2 bath without the bunks); I think there is a market for them.

hertamaniac,

I don't know if Disney owned them (leased? loaned?) but they were rented out by Disney (they stayed parked on certain sites/loops). In the early 70s there were a handful of Airstreams. But in the mid-late 70s those were replaced by many more Fleetwood travel trailers known as Terry Trailers. Sometime in the mid 80s the cabin loops were built and the Terry trailers were done away with and the first style of cabins called Wilderness Homes were placed. (which opened up more campsites since the Terry Trailers were no longer on them). Then the log cabins we know now replaced the Wilderness Homes starting in the late 90s (it was apparently a multi-year cycle to get all the WH changed out).

Now there are recommended companies for trailer rentals but non-recommended rental companies are used also by guests. The vendor-Disney side is not as cozy for the non-recommended but it certainly works.

I like the suggestion of a 2/2 cabin - maybe a double wide cabin that we could call, oh I don't know, what's the hot term Disney likes to use for the exclusive stand-alone accommodations? :scratchin

Oh yeah - Cabin Villas! :rotfl2:

Bama Ed

PS - or maybe we could call the 2/2's "Chalets".

Yeah, I was going to say Disney did build 2/2 cabins - initially they called it Disney Vacation Club and now it’s Old Key West Resort, and there was such a market for them that they expanded to Boardwalk, then to Wilderness Lodge, then to....

Plus campers bring their own food, buy fewer park days per day on site, and generally are lower revenue across the board. I've always thought The Fort was mismanaged and it cost revenue, but even if it was done the way I think it could, it still wouldn't be the revenue driver the other resorts are capable of being. So yeah, The Fort is a leftover and one whose days are probably numbered. Numbered very highly, but numbered nonetheless. I'd be surprised if The Fort celebrated a 75th anniversary.

I’m going on the assumption that the Fort is profitable on some scale...The argument above could be made for every Value and Moderate resort and Quick service dining as Deluxe and Table service are probably more profitable within similar footprints. Hopefully, not every inch of WDW becomes a highest and best use development because then much of what we love would be gone, not only the Fort. I guess I’m just saying that if the Fort’s life span is numbered because it’s not as profitable as other things, then almost every other thing on property is also on the chopping block because there are options that give higher profits. I don’t know if I’m expressing my thoughts as clearly as I’m thinking them. :scratchin

I’m going on the assumption that the Fort is profitable on some scale...The argument above could be made for every Value and Moderate resort and Quick service dining as Deluxe and Table service are probably more profitable within similar footprints. Hopefully, not every inch of WDW becomes a highest and best use development because then much of what we love would be gone, not only the Fort. I guess I’m just saying that if the Fort’s life span is numbered because it’s not as profitable as other things, then almost every other thing on property is also on the chopping block because there are options that give higher profits. I don’t know if I’m expressing my thoughts as clearly as I’m thinking them. :scratchin

Oh The Fort is surely profitable. But... it's a question of resources. If you can make X from the campers per day and 2X from resort guests, then you put fewer resources into the campground until it basically becomes an afterthought. At some point it becomes expendable simply because it's an afterthought in a prime area. As for the rest, the continual development of more and more high dollar restaurants, double ticket days, cupcake parties, and DVC resorts, show that Disney is doing exactly what public corporations do, go for the highest profitability on the least resources used. It is easy to see how that will eventually spell the end of my beloved Fort Wilderness.

And yes, all the "value" resorts are on the chopping block. You see this with the Skyliner connecting to Pop and AoA. That whole concept of value is going to disappear from those resorts over the next couple years. Higher profits is the point, as it probably should be for a public corporation, but that doesn't mean we can't be sad to see it happening.

As for the rest, the continual development of more and more high dollar restaurants, double ticket days, cupcake parties, and DVC resorts, show that Disney is doing exactly what public corporations do, go for the highest profitability on the least resources used. It is easy to see how that will eventually spell the end of my beloved Fort Wilderness.
The end of Fort Wilderness as we know it. Class A ONLY RV Resorts are becoming quite prevalent across the country and I’m surprised Disney hasn’t caught on. As part of the Reflections construction I can see them continuing to expand into the Fort and create super high end Class A loops, eliminate the tent/pop up loops, and ban approved fire pit campfires. Many campgrounds already have banned campfires and Disney sure doesn’t want to upset the Reflections guests with smoke. I think a lot more unspoken changes, keeping in line with what is being built next door, is coming sooner than later. Glad we all got to enjoy the glory days.

I ran over to Tri Circle D last month to specifically inquire about the future of the ranch. A new horse barn is being built right next to the original. Sleepy Hollow will not be screened this year, I was told hopefully in 2020. Pony rides moved up front near the trail rides. No mention of FW changing anything else.

IMO, Hoop de Doo is not going anywhere. The campground is a community onto itself with families retuning year after year. Just swing by around the holidays, loops are reserved a year in advance since folks want to be next to the same friends that’s have become family over time. FW is a classic as much as the Contemporary and Poly. The horses were here before ‘71 and are cast members too!

Has anyone been over there recently? Had wanted to go and just look around on this trip but I’m seeing conflicting information as to whether that is possible or not. Some say you can still do a trail ride but not sure that you can just go visit and look.

Has anyone been over there recently? Had wanted to go and just look around on this trip but I’m seeing conflicting information as to whether that is possible or not. Some say you can still do a trail ride but not sure that you can just go visit and look.

Looking around the Tri Circle D Ranch (where the work horses are kept) near Pioneer Hall and the Settlement Depot is no longer permitted since that area, while still currently working, is behind the construction fence. As previously mentioned, the new TCD/horse barn, which was to be rebuilt up at the front of the Fort near the check-in area, is now instead being rebuilt across the WL bus road from its current location.

The ponies used in the pony ride have been moved from the TCD up to the front where the trail ride horses are kept. This is in the area immediately behind the Gateway bus depot (where the buses to all the parks arrive and leave at).

The trail ride is still being offered as it is nowhere near the construction area. So if you are interested please sign up and try it out.

Bama Ed

Looking around the Tri Circle D Ranch (where the work horses are kept) near Pioneer Hall and the Settlement Depot is no longer permitted since that area, while still currently working, is behind the construction fence. As previously mentioned, the new TCD/horse barn, which was to be rebuilt up at the front of the Fort near the check-in area, is now instead being rebuilt across the WL bus road from its current location.

The ponies used in the pony ride have been moved from the TCD up to the front where the trail ride horses are kept. This is in the area immediately behind the Gateway bus depot (where the buses to all the parks arrive and leave at).

The trail ride is still being offered as it is nowhere near the construction area. So if you are interested please sign up and try it out.

Bama Ed
Thanks. Not looking to ride. Family have horses at home if I want to ride. Mostly wanted to check out the fraught horses but I will wait for another trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!