TRIGGER--Very Sad RCL Story

Story has returned to the news, as the Puerto Rican authorities have charged the grandfather with negligent homicide. It sounds like they’re not buying the assertion that he didn’t know the window was open.

A sad but seems like a predictable outcome.
That poor family .. the devastation just continues and compounds itself...
There’s no recovery or compensation for the loss of the child... and now with the latest/grandfather being charged...and news just plastered for the world to see the alleged cause/blame...and further devastate the parents/friends/family.
Prayers for the mom and dad...

I'm not surprised to hear this update. I wish this family the best as they continue to deal with this tragedy.

Yeah I think based on the charge the grandfather will either be found guilty or will plead guilty.

So I hope the judge is lenient with the sentence, because the family has been through enough trauma.
As much as I feel bad for the grandfather, he did something incredibly stupid that deprived a child of her life. And - at least from the media coverage - it sounds like he hasn't accepted responsibility and is looking for someone else to blame. When that gets taken into account, figuring out an appropriate sentence seems tricky. Lots of tough choices all around.

Just because buildings have dining halls means every area that has tables is a dining hall?

Because this came back up, I saw your response. I didn't say that they are all therefore dining halls. I was just saying that someone could conceivably call it that.

The news article from today indicated that this was before they had left port. I still remember how confusing it is to be on a ship the first day. It can be very discombobulating. I know that my then-husband and I had very different ideas of what places looked like, when we had been the same places the same amount of time. Anyway, that's all.

Because this came back up, I saw your response. I didn't say that they are all therefore dining halls. I was just saying that someone could conceivably call it that.

The news article from today indicated that this was before they had left port. I still remember how confusing it is to be on a ship the first day. It can be very discombobulating. I know that my then-husband and I had very different ideas of what places looked like, when we had been the same places the same amount of time. Anyway, that's all.
Take a look at this... it's a video of the pool deck on Freedom. Maybe it will give you a better idea of what the area is like. Let me know if you would still classify it as a dining hall.

Take a look at this... it's a video of the pool deck on Freedom. Maybe it will give you a better idea of what the area is like. Let me know if you would still classify it as a dining hall.

I just figure that perception is in the eyes of the person looking. :rolleyes1

I mean... there are tables where people usually either drink or eat. I guess it is not too far fetched to view this as a spot where people eat.

Agree with you.

And it clearly shows that the windows are tinted. Short of being incredibly inebriated, I cannot imagine being so “discombobulated” I could not tell the difference between open and closed.

Agree with you.

And it clearly shows that the windows are tinted. Short of being incredibly inebriated, I cannot imagine being so “discombobulated” I could not tell the difference between open and closed.

I do not believe "inebriation or discombobulation" are factors in this tragic event. Simply an action taken by an adult to please a very young and energetic child that went wrong. IF there really is a video, the actual series of physical actions will be evident BUT the thoughts of the GP as to "why he did what he did" might never be. Denial (not the river) can cloak reality in ones mind.

I do not believe "inebriation or discombobulation" are factors in this tragic event. Simply an action taken by an adult to please a very young and energetic child that went wrong. IF there really is a video, the actual series of physical actions will be evident BUT the thoughts of the GP as to "why he did what he did" might never be. Denial (not the river) can cloak reality in ones mind.

I agree with you.

I was just stating that since a previous poster was trying to explain it by saying that they get "discombobulated" their first day/hours on a ship. That glass is clearly tinted - probably for the very reason (preemptively) of making it evident where there is glass.

At the 1:38 or so, minute of that video, you can clearly see the lady leaning over the handrail, that is waist high for most, and at least a foot or so from the actual window or wall of windows.

I think the kid wanted to see outside, and he put her up on that rail or even over that rail, and lost his grip. I think the authorities had to decide to arrest him, as the family, and their attorney, have put so much misinformation and denial of responsibility, there was no choice. Plus, with a law suit on the horizon, with the cruise industry a big part of that Island's economy, I could see why the arrest was now made. Reasonable man action is the issue.

I still have so much sympathy for that family. Losing a child is horrific.

Accidents happen, when people do not understand their actions cause harm, or even death, like here. Even good, upstanding, loving people does not mean, they understand the risks, until something bad happens. And denial and tyring to understand what happened, makes a mind try to rationalize. I also feel so sad for the grandfather. Nothing he does will bring that little girl back.

At the 1:38 or so, minute of that video, you can clearly see the lady leaning over the handrail, that is waist high for most, and at least a foot or so from the actual window or wall of windows.

I think the kid wanted to see outside, and he put her up on that rail or even over that rail, and lost his grip. I think the authorities had to decide to arrest him, as the family, and their attorney, have put so much misinformation and denial of responsibility, there was no choice. Plus, with a law suit on the horizon, with the cruise industry a big part of that Island's economy, I could see why the arrest was now made. Reasonable man action is the issue.

I still have so much sympathy for that family. Losing a child is horrific.

Accidents happen, when people do not understand their actions cause harm, or even death, like here. Even good, upstanding, loving people does not mean, they understand the risks, until something bad happens. And denial and tyring to understand what happened, makes a mind try to rationalize. I also feel so sad for the grandfather. Nothing he does will bring that little girl back.

Agreed. The key word is "negligent". With the charge, they are not saying he meant for anything to happen (as in, it wasn't pre-meditated), but he acted with negligence and sadly that resulted in this tragic death.

People eat in movie theaters.
People eat in their cars.

Doesn't make either one of them a "dining hall".

I'm just saying there are tables where people can eat. If we go with a confusion hypothesis, I don't think it's that far fetched to think that he may have confused this with a dining area, because there are tables there as well.

Last edited:
Agree with you.

Vision problems? Color Blindness?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!