TRIGGER--Very Sad RCL Story

Poor little baby. May his or her soul rest in peace, and may their family find comfort in their loving memories in the near future. :(

This story has been updated since the initial report with a very important detail:

July 8, 2019 Update: “Police said Monday that the grandfather of the 1-year old girl from Indiana told officers he lost his grip while holding her outside a window on the 11th story of the Freedom of the Seas,” via ABC News.

Oh my gosh, my heart goes out for the everyone involved, of course, but I feel especially heart-broken for that poor man. I can't imagine how he will feel the rest of his life after this. 😢

This detail is in CNN's story, and I'm trying to understand it:

The 18-month-old girl was playing with her grandfather in a dining hall on deck 11 of the Freedom of the Seas, Port Authority spokesman José Carmona said. The dining area has large windows, and one pane was open.

Anybody familiar with this venue? None of the stories I've seen have explained the situation very well. My initial understanding was the GF was holding the child over or on the railing, but this detail of one open window pane seems strange for a cruise ship.

I found a photo, reportedly from deck 11 of freedom of the seas:

66379193_2291367140899876_1044541715744030720_n.jpg

My guess would be the GF sat the child on the railing in one of the spaces without glass.

The 18-month-old girl was playing with her grandfather in a dining hall on deck 11 of the Freedom of the Seas, Port Authority spokesman José Carmona said. The dining area has large windows, and one pane was open.

Anybody familiar with this venue? None of the stories I've seen have explained the situation very well. My initial understanding was the GF was holding the child over or on the railing, but this detail of one open window pane seems strange for a cruise ship.
The buffet is on deck 11, but I've never seen any windows that open. The pool is also on deck 11. There are full length windows where the top half opens. They're at least as high as the rails. If he was actually holding her out of the window, it's completely his fault.

This is heartbreaking😭 my husband and I just got off the Mariner this morning and were talking about how it also affected every mother, father, and so on that saw this or even was on the ship! I took several photos outside of the same type of window and was so worried about dropping my iPhone. I couldn’t imagine holding a baby up to the window. This is devastating 😭

I found a photo, reportedly from deck 11 of freedom of the seas:

66379193_2291367140899876_1044541715744030720_n.jpg

My guess would be the GF sat the child on the railing in one of the spaces without glass.

I have been on the Freedom 4 times. This is exactly what it looks like. The bottom windows do not open. I am only 5' tall and that rail comes most of the way up my chest. Senseless and sad.

This is why you need to ignore news stories (even from reputable sources) the first day or so after a tragedy. The dining room isn't on deck 11. Windjammer is, but it has no windows that open. Reporters are posting what they're hearing, but what they're hearing isn't accurate (I'm saying they accurately report what they hear, but that information is bad).

I bet he sat the baby on the open rail with her legs faced outside. I’m sure it was an accident. I cannot even fathom what this poor family is going through. The weight of such a tragedy is immeasurable. Saying a prayer for those poor folks tonight.

This is why you need to ignore news stories (even from reputable sources) the first day or so after a tragedy. The dining room isn't on deck 11.

The quote said dining *hall*, though. Plenty of people eat out there, IME. It could be seen as a hall of sorts. Plus, there might be translation going on with the journalists to a certain extent (though all the residents I've personally met in San Juan were brilliantly and perfectly bilingual as far as I could tell).

The quote said dining *hall*, though. Plenty of people eat out there, IME. It could be seen as a hall of sorts. Plus, there might be translation going on with the journalists to a certain extent (though all the residents I've personally met in San Juan were brilliantly and perfectly bilingual as far as I could tell).
Have you been on the cruise ship? No one is going to confuse the area around the pool as a "dining hall", regardless of whether someone eats out there. Issues with translation are another reason to not accept the first accounts.

Poor family. The statement by the family lawyer is laying blame the cruise line. I can’t imagine that area closed up on a hot day and I love looking out those windows without much obstruction. The film footage shown on the news with Police tape around it is just as a PP showed in the photo.

Poor family. The statement by the family lawyer is laying blame the cruise line. I can’t imagine that area closed up on a hot day and I love looking out those windows without much obstruction. The film footage shown on the news with Police tape around it is just as a PP showed in the photo.

I feel so bad for this family but I agree the lawyer is saying it is the cruise lines fault. I think it is just a horrible accident.

I am currently on Anthem and we were docked next to Freedom in St. Maarten yesterday. On deck 11 there were areas in the glassed areas where the windows slid open sideways. We saw several people standing by the open windows.
Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!