[Trip Report] Blackout!

hodad

DIS Veteran
We are visiting the grandparents in Orange County. After putting the kid to sleep, on a whim, I drove up to Anaheim for a non-park visit. First stop, Trader Sam's for an old Kungaloosh and a Shipwreck (for the mug). Eric the bartender took great care of me and my new friends sitting nearby.

Then I walked over to the Esplanade to watch the fireworks. 9:40, no fireworks. Everyone checks their phones. Power outage! Fireworks cancelled.

That's fine. As a consolation prize, I bought some regular churros to take home and a salted caramel one to eat on the way to the car. Delicious!

Now I'm typing this in front of the fireplce in the Grand Californian lobby. Gonna head home soon. Not a bad evening.

What do they need power for with a fireworks show? They can always just skip the music and just fire off the fireworks. Isn't the firing sequence battery powered these days? Heck - I've seen it done the old fashioned way - with pyrotechnicians running around lighting fireworks with flares. Seemed kind of dangerous though.

What do they need power for with a fireworks show? They can always just skip the music and just fire off the fireworks. Isn't the firing sequence battery powered these days? Heck - I've seen it done the old fashioned way - with pyrotechnicians running around lighting fireworks with flares. Seemed kind of dangerous though.
I'm pretty sure that synchronization of the projections with the music and the projections takes plenty of electricity (though, according to a Disney rep quoted by nbclosangeles.com the fireworks cancellation was NOT due to the power issues but a result of "wind concerns". We are in the Parks for three days right now and where stuck on Pirates during the outage. We hung out in front of the banjo playing bayou resident for a long, long time (with, for a few seconds, the ride and the restaurant going completely dark and then the lights coming back on after a few seconds) and then inched our way through the ride. It was actually kind of fun to have more time to look at all the little details in the different scenes, and we got a fancy "any attraction for up to six people" fast pass to make up for our troubles at the end!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter