Trip Report: BWV 3/26-3/31

vascubaguy

DIS Veteran
I'm still recovering from our trip but figured I'd try and put these things down before I forgot them.

Sunday, March 26th
Our ride to the airport arrived about 15 minutes early, so we rushed to finish getting ready, loaded up the truck and headed to the airport. No lines at all at 6:30AM on a Sunday... got to the gate and boarded a 1/2 full Southwest flight direct to MCO. Nice flight, arrived about 13 minutes early, made our way down to DME and was on the bus within about 30 minutes. We landed just before 10am and in the lobby of the BWV by 11:30AM. (BTW, LOVE the BWV). It was a nice clear, sunny day, but a little windy/chilly (probably upper 60's to low 70's).

Well, I went to check-in and crossed my fingers that the room might be ready... it wasn't though. So, we checked our carry-on bags with bell services and headed over to Epcot to pickup our APs and my temporary DDE card.

We went thru the International Gateway and stopped to get some fish & chips. Then headed up to the front of Epcot to get the DDE. After that we decided to checkout Test Track, Mission Space, and Soarin to see the waittimes. For whatever reason, none of them were doing fastpasses so we just walked around a little. We stopped by club cool and tried the different drinks (including the beverly)... it wasn't "that" bad, but I had no desire to have a 2nd sip. Our favorite was the ginger ale and the watermelon (whatever their names where). We then went to ride the Figment ride (had never been on that one before). That attriction is now on our "Disney needs to renovate/replace list".

Ok, after that we decided to go see if any characters were out and about. We pull out the Sony Cybershot camera only to find that it is messed up. All of the pictures appear blurry on the LCD. I adjust all of the settings, reset the camera, and nothing helps. Needless to say we were NOT happy. I called to check on the room and it still wasn't ready, but we decided to head back to the boardwalk anyway. We went in the lobby around 2pm and just sat down on the sofas and waited. Meanwhile I continued messing with the camera, but no luck in fixing it. We were entertained by a mime who came into the lobby area - she was great. DP was asleep on the sofa so she got me to getup and she layed down right next to him. He eventually turned his head and was like... "woah... umm.. hi?". (Guess ya had to be there). She eventually got us to go outside and sit on the deck overlooking the boardwalk. It was a rather pleasant afternoon so a very good idea.

Let's see if I can speed this up a little... our room was finally ready around 3:45PM and we went up to get settled in (studio room 4071). It was just a few doors down from the elevators. The room was really nice, only a few minor things that I noticed (but I didn't call to complain). The sofa looked dirty and the pullout bed was extremely difficult to get open. Oh, one major complaint... the TV in the room was micro-sized!!! I had expected the TV's to be at least 25" or larger... this was more like 19". Our luggaged arrived shortly thereafter so we unpacked and then headed over to MK so we could catch a bus to the WL for dinner at WCC. We got to the WL about 45 minutes early and we were going to explore a little before dinner. However, due to the camera difficulties, I had been brainstorming on how we could get a replacement. My best friend was coming down the next day so I decided to call my mom (who is a customer service manager at a Walmart) to see if she would buy me a new camera and send it with my friend when she came the next day. My mom was at work so she went over to the cameras and told me what they had and pointed out that one of the Sony cameras was regularly almost $500 but on clearance for $314. It was the DSC-H1 which I had looked at before, so I told her to get it. I then had to call my friend and ask her to go pick it up and bring it. By the time that was all said and done, it was time for dinner.

We went to checkin at WCC and were seated within a few minutes. We started off with some drinks and both ordered the skillet. Our only complaint was that it was really loud, but many of the antics were rather comical. Our server, "Bobby the Kid", was rather entertaining. He busted 2 guys at another table for chewing gum and had them put the gum on the tip of their noses. I knew DP was going to ask for ketchup, and Bobby made him stand up and yell with him that he needed ketchup. However, no one brought any. Bobby went around and gathered about 6 bottles and brought them to the table. It was a pretty good meal, but we didn't come anywhere close to eating all of the food.

After dinner we walked around a little and then decided to take the boat over to MK. It was after we arrived at the boat dock that we realized that it probably wasn't the best idea. It was pretty cold down by the water. We suffered thru it and got on the boat and headed to MK. We went over and rode astroblasters and then found a spot to watch wishes at the bridge. A family came up shortly thereafter and the one lady was being really annoying, yelling at her son for ruining their vacation and stating how she would be on a cruise in Alaska if it weren't for him and his sister. I was like... wow... gotta love the magic of bad parenting. I guess she was "Wishing" she didn't have kids so she could be in Alaska right then. Anyway, the fireworks started and she changed her tone. We enjoyed the show, as always, and then headed back over to the BW.

When we got back to the room, we crashed. It had been a long day.

Tune in later for day 2 (MGM/Disney Studios), dinner at Hollywood and Vine, and a quick stop at SSR and Downtown Disney!

Looking forward to reading more. :) We were at the BWV March 12-18th, stayed in a one-bedroom on the first floor two rooms over from Jellyrolls. The view was nice, (Boardwalk View), but we hated being on the first floor as we felt like we were on display whenever we sat on the patio! The weather the first half of the week was very warm, high 80s, but dropped into the low 70s for the rest of the week, so it was pretty chilly at night. It's hard to pack for a month like March.

We are going to Boardwalk with family in less than two months. Can't wait for the rest of your report!
Thanks!
DJ

Since we knew we had many years of trips ahead of us, we kicked the commando-style we normally follow when at WDW. We actually slept in!!! I think it was until around 10AM. We took our time getting ready then went down to the Boardwalk Bakery and grabbed some breakfast. For me it was a chocolate croissant and DP had one of the breakfast sandwiches (with the english muffin). Both were really good; however, my big complaint is that I couldn't find a "chocolate dipped croissant" anywhere! I had those almost every morning for breakfast last year!!!

Anyway, moving on... we got on the boat to Studios and headed that way. It was a nice ride and only took about 25-30 minutes with the stop at the Swan & Dolphin. When we arrived it did not appear to be that busy at the park. However, when we went over to HTH and RR we were suprised to see the FP machines covered up!!! The wait was well over an hour for each. Instead, we headed over to see Lights, Motors, Action. The next show was getting ready to start in about 30 minutes so we didn't bother getting FP. We just got in line and they started the seating process a few minutes later. We ended up getting seated directly in the middle of the stadium (right above the control room). I really enjoyed the show, though DP was a little bored - not his type of thing.

We were wanting to catch one of the early shows of WWTBAMPI but didn't exactly plan it right. When we got out of Lights, Motors, Action, we checked the time and had about an hour so we headed over to the Backlot Tour. I had never been on it, so I didn't know it was a 40 minute tour, plus the 20 minute wait... needless to say, we didn't make the next show of WWTBAMPI.

So, then we decided to go do the Great American Movie Ride. I had never waited more than about 20 minutes to get on this ride before, I think it took us about 40 minutes this time. From there it was lunchtime, so we grabbed a burger to split at ABC commissary.

My memory seems to be failing me, as I don't recall exactly what we did after lunch. :confused3 I know we finally did WWTBAMPI (and neither of us did too good), and we watched the parade and the Indiana Jones Stunt Show.

But, let me jump to dinner at Hollywood & Vine. We decided to try some new places, which turned out to NOT be a good idea in this case! We thought the food and service at H&V was AWFUL!!! It was by far the worst meal we had during our trip. From this experience, we decided that from now on, we were not going to do any more buffets at WDW (with the one exception of Boma).

After a disappointing dinner, we left the park and hopped on a bus to SSR (on our way to DTD). Phase III is coming right along, and wow, the resort is HUGE!!! I know I've mention this before, but at some point, I hope DVC will create some categories for guaranteed views (golf course, Downtown Disney, etc). We got off the bus over at Congress Park and decided to walk over to DTD. Did I mention we were in shorts and t-shirts... and it was probably in the low 50's at that point!!! Not exactly the BEST decision, but we needed to go get some pajamas for DP because he forgot to pack his and Cristy was arriving that night. We weren't able to find mens PJs at any of the other stores we checked but we figured they would have them at the World of Disney store. After walking around the store a few times, we asked a CM who advised us that they don't carry mens PJs anymore, so we just got some boxers and decided to head back to the resort.

Oh yeah, Cristy.... we just knew she was going to get to the BWV before we got back. However, she called me while we were at DTD shopping and told me that she was still at the airport. I was a bit suprised because her flight arrived about an hour earlier! She said she had gone down to baggage claim and her luggage never came out... :rotfl2: I said, "you know those nifty luggage tags you got for DME and put on your luggage so you wouldn't have to handle your bags at the airport?" She was like... OH YEAH.. DUH! (Note: she went with us last year too and had used DME before). So, whe went over to DME and checked in and got in line.

We got back to the BWV, and within 10 minutes she had arrived. 10 minutes after that, her luggage arrived.

It was also on this night that I discovered we had a partial view of the Illuminations fireworks. I heard a boom and went out on the balcony where I noticed to the left, I could see the fireworks over the top of the BWI side of the resort. Again, sorry no photos yet... I didn't get the camera until that night when Cristy arrived.

Ok, to wrap up Day 2, we decided to head back over to MGM since it was EMH (and Cristy was starving). We took the boat back over and tried to find a place still serving food. Fortunately, Rosie's All-American Cafe was still open so she was able to get a cheeseburger. From there we got in line to ride HTT (with only about a 20 minute wait), and then over to RRC, which had about a 30 minute wait. After that, it was back to the room to get ready for Tuesday, which was AK day!

Oh, I did have the camera and took a few pics that night we were at the studios. I'll go thru those and upload some a little later.

I'm really enjoying your report, but can you please tell me what DP stands for?

BTW -- We dislike the buffet at H&V, too! Blech!

Thanks for the posts! I love to read fun trip reports!
Also, totally agree on H&V. We're not typically picky but we all thought it wasn't really that good. And it was so LOUD! All that chrome and such I guess. :rolleyes:

Anyway... write faster man!

CRSNDSNY said:
I'm really enjoying your report, but can you please tell me what DP stands for?

BTW -- We dislike the buffet at H&V, too! Blech!

dp = dear/disney partner

Ok, here's a few pics from night 2 and morning of day 3 (before going to AK). I'll have to do day 3 a little later. I hope these pics show up okay, they looked good on my computer, but then I quickly edited down the resolution and size so they wouldn't be as big on here. Also, I am still learning how to use this rather complex camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-H1).

Some shots of MGM at night:
MGMnight.JPG

rrchttnight.JPG

HTT (lobby)
hthinteriornight.JPG

BWV Room 4071 (view from balcony):

At night-this is where we could have seen the Illuminations fireworks
balconyview%20night.JPG

balconyview2.JPG

balconyview4071.JPG

BWV Lobby:
bwvlobby.JPG

BW Bakery, where we enjoyed the yummy pastries and breakfast sandwiches:
BWbakery.JPG

TeresaNJ said:
Looking forward to reading more. :) We were at the BWV March 12-18th, stayed in a one-bedroom on the first floor two rooms over from Jellyrolls. The view was nice, (Boardwalk View), but we hated being on the first floor as we felt like we were on display whenever we sat on the patio! The weather the first half of the week was very warm, high 80s, but dropped into the low 70s for the rest of the week, so it was pretty
chilly at night. It's hard to pack for a month like March.

I wondered what those new rooms were like. Was it a lockoff or a dedicated 1 bedroom? Was it noisy?

Hey we were at Whispering Canyon at the same time as you. A bunch of DVC'ers were. From the Gum table, we were 2 rows to the checkin to the lodge. One person in our group had a hidden mickey in their hair.

Day 3: Tuesday, March 28th

Again, we slept in late... not getting up until around 9:30AM. And again we made our way down to the Boardwalk Bakery to indulge in pastries and breakfast sandwiches. Then it was down to the BW bus stop to catch a ride to the AK. It was a rather leisurely day at the AK and we went to get FPs for EE. Then we headed over Dinoland where we did Primeval Whirl and Dinosaur. Wait time on PW was about 30 minutes... which can drive you insane... I'll never forget the exiting instructions.... "Please stand before exiting... bye-bye!" There was almost no wait at Dinosaur. I'm a little fuzzy on the exact order of events for the rest of the day at AK, but I do know we got FPs for the Safari, had lunch at Tusker House (love those chicken sandwiches), rode EE, the safari, and went to see It's Tough to be a Bug. After riding EE we all agreed that we HAD to go back ASAP and ride again. By that time the park was nearing closing, so we headed out and over to AKL for our ADR at Boma.

We went in and walked around the lodge and sat down and relaxed out on the balcony overlooking the safari. I, of course, was wandering around taking a few pictures here and there (will post later). Then we headed down to Victoria Falls Lounge to enjoy some drinks before dinner. I believe we had some Captains Rum Runners and martinis... mmmm....

Ok, then it was on to Boma where we enjoyed the many varieties of foods. The prime rib was wonderful, as always. Oh, and I had mentioned my food allergy to shellfish and 2 chefs actually came over to walk me around the buffet to show me what to avoid. The one lady, and I can't recall her name (sorry), was really nice and even fixed us some of those fried oreos (sinful!). Of course, we overindulged in those zebra domes too!

It was after 9pm when we got back to the BWV and we decided to just stay in since we had early ADRs for breakfast the next morning at Kona. (No more of those leisurely sleep-in mornings).

So it was showers, a little TV, then sleep-time.

Nice report! You mention that you picked up a temporary DDE card on this trip. Mine just expired so I ordered a new one today. They quoted me a 2-4 week delivery time. Since you recently ordered one, I was curious whether delivery times are tending more towards 2 weeks or 4 weeks.

LisaS said:
Nice report! You mention that you picked up a temporary DDE card on this trip. Mine just expired so I ordered a new one today. They quoted me a 2-4 week delivery time. Since you recently ordered one, I was curious whether delivery times are tending more towards 2 weeks or 4 weeks.

For me it was just over the 4 week mark. I ordered the card via phone on March 6th and it didn't arrive until April 8th (2 days after I returned from my trip). However, the temp card works just fine... :teeth:

Ok... let's see... where was I?

Oh...
Day 4

This was an early morning day for us, so no sleeping in! We had ADRs for breakfast at Kona Cafe over at the Poly at 8AM. So, we were up around 6/6:30 ish and on our way by 7AM. We got to Kona a little early, but no one was there yet so we got in a little early. I ordered some coffee and the tonga toast, and though I can't recall what everyone else ordered right now, I know it involved eggs and potatoes! Anyway, it was all VERY VERY good, definately worth getting up early. It's on the must do again (though maybe a little bit later ADR). I did notice that by 8:30 more people were starting to show up... some still in their PJs!

After breakfast we took the monorail over to MK. We got their just in time for the opening ceremony. We got on the trolley and made our way towards the castle, and we were joined by the dapper dans along the way. Made for a really nice ride... plus we beat most of the crowd to the castle that was walking. :teeth: We decided to catch the first show of Cinderellabration, so we took spots on one of the benches at the hub, then I headed over to Space Mountain to grab fastpasses. After the show we went over to Space Ranger spin to kill some time before Space Mountain. Then it was on to Space Mtn, though when we arrived we were informed there were some technical difficulties so it was closed. Of course the CM said it would reopen and we could use our FPs anytime the rest of the day.

After finding out SM was closed, we tried to get on the people mover to see if we could see the inside of SM with the lights on. However, when we got over there they were in the process of closing that down as well. It was still running and folks were coming off, but they wouldn't let anyone get on. Instead we decided to do the Carousel of Progress.

Then it was off to Frontierland! We headed over there to tackle Big Thunder and Splash Mountains! When we got over there the wait time for Splash was only 30 minutes, so we grabbed FPs for BTMRR and got in line for Splash. Needless to say, the waittime was off. It was more like an hour, but we eventually made it. (Oh, I forgot to mention, the weather in FL was starting to warm up by this time, so it was a bit toasty out). After Splash we went right over to BTMRR and pretty much walked right on using the FPs (gotta love 'em).

At this point, we decided it was time for lunch. We usually head over to Columbia Harbour House, but instead we decided to grab some burgers at Peco's Bills. After lunch we ventured over to the Haunted Mansion... again, the signs were a bit off as they said 20 minutes, and it was more like 40. No biggie though, we rode that and went on to Fantasyland. Then it was PhilharMagic and a ride on the teacups! The teacups, however, weren't a good idea for one member of our party. :rotfl2: we videotaped our teacup experience (3 of us in the cup), and Cristy just wasn't doing so well with the spinning after a little while. She decided to sit-out the ride on Space Mountain.

At that point we figured it might be a good time to make our way toward the Poly. We decided to take the boat over instead of the monorail and ended up arriving quite a bit early for our 8:20 ressie at 'Ohana. So we sat out at the lounge and enjoyed the music of the islands (along with some drinks!). :teeth: Soon thereafter they brought out the dancers for a little show before they went into the dining area. I just wanted to mention, the service at the lounge was awful! We sat their about 20 minutes an no one ever stopped to ask us if we wanted anything. It seemed rather obvious that we did want to order since we had the drink menus in our hands, but the CMs just kept walking by us and delivering drinks, but not coming to us. I even walked up to the bar to order the drinks, but was told I had to order them from the servers! About 5 minutes after I sat back down we were finally able to flag down one of the ladies. Of course getting the drinks back took awhile, and paying the bill took even longer (especially since she had to apply the DDE discount)!

Just before the dancers arrived, I checked in for our ressie and asked for a fireworks view. About midway through the dancing our pager went off and we were headed back to our table. We did receive a window table, but the view was mostly blocked by the volcano. However, we were able to see the fireworks. Our experience at 'Ohana this trip was MUCH better than the one last year, and despite all of the bad reviews from the menu change, we rather enjoyed it. BTW, the shrimp they bring out as appetizers are HUGE! We liked all of the starters (shrimp, chicken, veggies, wonton chips, potatoes, etc). However, we were not as impressed with the meats. As is commonly an issue, the meats were dry and tough. The steak was okay, but the turkey, pork and sausage were not. By that point though, we were already full from all the other things. Oh, but we did have some of the bread pudding... now that was really good, but again, we were way to full at that point to eat it all. (Note: although the 2nd attempt at 'Ohana was better, I'm not sure we'll do it again. We might switch to Kona from now on.)

Ok, after dinner and the fireworks, it was back to the MK (via monorail) so that we could grab the bus back to the BWV. After a long day, it was time for some much needed sleep, as we had an early morning ADR for breakfast at Spoodles the next day (yeah, we should have slept-in instead! more to come on that...). We left the next day sorta up in the air as for parks... however since it was Cristy's last day, she really wanted to do EE again and Soarin... so we were heading to AK in the morning (after Spoodles) and then back over to Epcot.

Stay tuned... :goodvibes

I'm enjoying your report and pictures.

We had a great meal at Hollywood and Vine in December, and thought it was a great buffet, but we've never eaten at Boma, we'll have to try it. We like Tonga Toast too!

Bobbi :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter