Trip report-Dec.1-9, 2017

BYC

DIS Veteran
Cast-7 Adults--Myself, my husband, my 3 adult kids, and one boyfriend and one girlfriend. We stayed at Old Key West. My husband and I in a studio, and the other 5 in a 2 bedroom villa. We asked for them to be next to or near each other. They were not. But, it was an easy walk between the two (We were in building 62, they were in 12) Love love love Old Key West!!

Arrived very early Friday morning, Dec. 1. Rooms were not ready....we didn't expect them to be. We explored the resort a bit, then hoped a boat to Disney Springs. Had an early lunch at Earl of Sandwich. All were happy with their food. Got a text the rooms were ready---boated back, and unpacked. Boat again back to the Springs. Had a GREAT dinner at Raglan Road. I just love that place! Really brings out my Irish! After dinner...went to bed!

Saturday, Dec.2--Hollywood Studios day! We made very good use of Fast Pass, and did not wait on any lines very long. Did our favorites multiple time---Toy Story, Tower of Terror, and Rockin Roller Coaster. Had dinner at Hollywood Brown Derby for the first time. While we all enjoyed it, and the food was good, I don't think we would go back. Did not knock our socks off. Very glad we went, though.

Sunday. Dec 3-- Magic Kingdom! Got there early, rode a few of the popular attractions with minimal wait----then hopped the monorail to the California Grill Sunday Brunch. Oh my God---this was the BEST! I will never make a trip to Disney again without doing this. Yes, it is expensive....but we never felt at all that we had overpaid. If you love all you can eat sushi----and I mean really good sushi---do not miss this. And, the Lobster Eggs Benedict were just so good! There was so much to chose from...and not at all like the other buffets. Some stuff you got yourself, and some they made to order, and brought to you. The coffee was the best I had all week. I drank a pot myself! The view was spectacular. It was sold out---but not crowded at all. They do not fill the restaurant. I cannot stress enough how great this was!! For dinner, I had tried for months to book Ohana's, but I did not succeed...so we went back to OKW and at at Olivia's. We were all pleasantly surprised! Food was really good!! Got to bed at a reasonable hour too!

Monday, Dec. 4--Epcot! Arrived early for an 8:10 breakfast reservation at Akershus. Great food. And, we walked out, and walked right on to Frozen ahead of the crowd. I liked it---but would never wait on a long line for it. I preferred Maelstrom....but I don't handle change very well. I love the classics. Then we took the side path to Test Track, and walked right on that with no wait. Loved the new Soarin'...but I loved the old Soarin'. Rode everything we wanted with minimal wait. Then, we had dinner at Tokyo Dining for the first time. It was really good! Can't say one bad thing about it. Everyone loved what they ordered, and the service was great! Then, we hopped the Monorail to the Magic Kingdom, and attended the Fireworks Dessert Party at Tomorrowland Terrace. I really wanted to see Fireworks, and there weren't any on our first Magic Kingdom day because of MVMCP. We had the best seat in the house for viewing. It was spectacular! To be fair---I am not much of a sweet eater, so I only had a taste of a few things, so I shouldn't be reviewing the food. The others in my party liked everything. I did not. Would I do it again? Probably not. I don't think it was worth the cost. Glad we did it though...or I probably would not have seen Happily Ever After...which was amazing!! All in all----a great day!

Tuesday, Dec. 5-- Animal Kingdom! My FAVORITE park of all!! Saved the best for last! Had an 8:00 breakfast at Tusker House. We think this is the best breakfast buffet on property. Something for everyone! Great characters! Took our very first ride on Flight Of Passage with a Fast Pass. On my! What a great ride! Not to be missed! Would I wait 3 hours on line for it??...No. One hour maybe. Very thrilling!! For dinner, we did Tiffins for the first time. It's hard to review this place. We all liked what we had, but we all agreed we would not go back. Food was good...but limited choices. We are adventurous eaters, so we tried lots of things. Definitely not a place for picky eaters. It was good, the decor was beautiful, the service excellent, but we won't be back. Weird, I know. Very expensive, too. I am sorry to say that I did not make it to Rivers Of Light. I was too tired for the 7:45 show, and I thought I would come back on another day---but it didn't happen. Guess I'll just have to take another trip!

Wednesday, Dec. 6-- The young folks all went to Universal for the day, and to see Blue Man Group. I was excitedly looking forward to a day all to myself---which I have never had at Disney---because hubby was supposed to make a day trip to visit an old friend. Those plans did not work out, so hubby and I stayed together for the day. I was very disappointed....hubby is in a scooter, and that makes a few things difficult...and I was so unhappy about giving up my solo day...but we do what we have to do. Of course, I couldn't tell him that! We ended up going back to Animal Kingdom and had a very quiet day. Then, we went to Disney Springs to the Boathouse for dinner. Oh my! This was one of our best meals! We started with a dozen of the best oysters we have ever eaten. I can't remember the exact name of them, but they were 5 bucks a piece, and they were large, and they had the name Standish in them (or something like that) If we had not already ordered our dinners...it was too late to cancel them....we would have just ordered another dozen. I had the stuffed lobster, which was exceptionally good. Hubby had swordfish, which was cooked just right (we hate over cooked fish). We savored every bite! Will be back here again, for sure!

Thursday, Dec. 7.--Young folks all slept in after Universal and Blue Man Group. We took out time getting going, and strolled around Magic Kingdom at a leisurely pace. Nice. Then we went back to Disney Springs. We stopped at Boathouse for oysters, and they were out of the ones we had the night before. We ordered different ones, which were excellent---but no where near as spectacular as the ones we had the night before. Then---to Cirque Du Soleil! Such a great show! Sad to see it leaving. Afterwards, hubby was hungry, so we ordered him a sandwich and a beer, and me an empanada and a lemonade from the take out window at Bongos (never at there before). I scan my magic band, and then I see the bill is 41 bucks. Umm...no. They charged us for 2 sandwiches. Said they called the manager from upstairs to get me the 12 dollar refund. So, while we waited, we ate. I took one bite of the empanda, spit it out, and threw it away. Inedible. Hubby thought his pork sandwich was OK. So, we finish, and I go to try to get my refund. They say they aren't giving it to me. Um...what??? I start to get a bit louder (Yes, I am a New Yorker). Then, I threaten to get a cop. Finally, a man comes, and refunds me the money. But, that is an hour of my life I will never get back. Will NEVER go near that place again!

Friday, Dec. 8-- Another casual day, a bit more Animal Kingdom...and the HoopDeeDoo! We love this show, and we love the food! Had a great time...great seats...and too much food! Young folks headed to Epcot...us old folks went to bed!

Saturday, Dec, 9-- Going home today. Pack up---drop our luggage with bell services, and we went to breakfast at Ohana. I was able to get a reservation the last minute. Being that I was never able to get one for dinner, I was happy to try breakfast. Walked around the Poly a bit before. Very very nice! Breakfast was very good...but not as good as the reports I have seen from people about it. Tusker House was way better. But---we had fun, ate well, and went back to our resort to catch the Tragical Express to the airport. Out flight was very close to being canceled because of the weather in New York....so I was a nervous wreck about how we would get 7 people home and back to work! But----my prayers were answered, and our flight left on time. A bit turbulent---but we made it!

All is all...we had a great time. Weather was spectacular---cold came in our departure day. Old Key West is so nice. Fast passes worked very well. We all stayed healthy. Can't wait to start planning another trip...in about 3-4 years!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter