Trip report - first trip using an electric wheelchair at Disneyland

bluecruiser

DIS Veteran
Background:

Ever since my diagnosis of arthritis in both knees, I've rented ECV's at Disneyland and WDW. But since I typically have to make connections in large airports to get there, I finally decided to buy an electric wheelchair. Ray Sharpton's thread was the final step that convinced me.

This is my first trip since I bought a purple Magshock weatherproof electric wheelchair made by Fold&Go. I'll try to post daily or every other day during my trip so the information will be fresh.

December 1 Travel day to Disneyland

Summary - two flights with a long layover. Several lessons learned.

Abbreviations used:
WC = wheelchair
F&G = Fold & Go wheelchair company
AA = American Airlines
MSDS = Material Safety Data Sheet from Fold & Go that lists the specs for my wheelchair
DFW = Dallas-Fort Worth Airport

When I checked in for my first flight the ticket agent (and later the gate agent) told me I had to remove the batteries since they're Lithium-ion and my WC was going to be gate checked and under the plane. So I removed the two batteries and carried them on. The ticket agent scrambled to find a tote bag for me to use since I hadn't planned to remove the batteries.

* insert foreboding music here (you'll find out later the reason why) *

According to F&G, their agreement with AA is that their batteries are safer in the frame and can even be left in the WC when gate-checked and stowed below the plane. Even though I showed AA the MSDS from F&G they still made me take out the batteries.

Here's a picture of my WC in bag going up the conveyor into the hold (rainy morning leaving Pittsburgh). It's on the side, with most of it covered by the travel bag I purchased from F&G. They handled my bag with care and the WC arrived dry and undamaged.
(Not sure why the image insists on being sideways; if anyone can tell me how to fix it I'd be grateful).

When I got off the plane in DFW for my connecting flight I accidentally put one of the batteries in upside down and then the WC wouldn't work. Since I had forced the battery in, I couldn't get it out. (Now you see the reason for the foreboding music earlier)

I called F&G but they were closed today since it's Sunday (on Thanksgiving weekend at that). They were great though and called me back anyway. They asked me to let them know if any other airline employees told me I needed to remove the batteries so they could follow up with their airline contacts (to make sure consistent messaging is going to all the airline employees).

AA arranged for one of their facilities mechanics to see if he could remove the stuck battery. While waiting for the mechanic I had feelings of panic wondering how I would get the WC fixed and how I would deal with the loss of it the rest of my trip. But the the mechanic arrived and saved my trip! He was careful in his work and got the battery out. I'll be sending a thank-you email to his boss tonight.

Fortunately, on my second flight although my bag was gate-checked I didn't have to remove the batteries. There was no damage to the WC, and the plane didn't burn up with Lithium-ion batteries in my WC in the hold.

Lessons learned:

1. Be sure to put the battery in right side up. If it doesn't go in easily, don't force it.

2. Using carabiners to tow my suitcase and tote bag behind me was a god-send. I bought them from F&G. The only situation I didn't use them in was when I got to the hotel and was going to my room. I was concerned with the logistics of entering and leaving the elevator when towing a big suitcase behind me. So I just dropped off my suitcase with Bell Services and they brought it to my room along with the grocery order I had placed prior to arrival.

3. The MagShock does not seem to "lock" when you fold it, making it more difficult to put on the travel cover. From watching videos of the Heavy Duty version made by F&G, I thought they locked or stayed closed when you folded them. Is this true? I'm thinking maybe I should get a bungee cord to help keep the WC closed when folded.

Two people were so impressed with the wheelchair they asked for details. I wonder if this happens to everyone who travels with a Fold & Go wheelchair. @RaySharpton, @Cheryl Smith, @CJN, @fabfemmeboy, @Groot, @Jack Mac, @Jeannette Allan, and anyone else with a F&G, does this happen to you too?

Battery status at the end of day 1: 6 out of 7 bars (my WC started out almost fully charged). I'll try to follow this daily to get an idea of how long the battery lasts. According to F&G, I should be able to go 16 miles on a full charge, so I won't be recharging it until it gets closer to "empty."

Attachments

• WC loaded converyor.jpg
    WC loaded converyor.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
When I checked in for my first flight the ticket agent (and later the gate agent) told me I had to remove the batteries since they're Lithium-ion and my WC was going to be gate checked and under the plane. So I removed the two batteries and carried them on. The ticket agent scrambled to find a tote bag for me to use since I hadn't planned to remove the batteries.

* insert foreboding music here (you'll find out later the reason why) *

According to F&G, their agreement with AA is that their batteries are safer in the frame and can even be left in the WC when gate-checked and stowed below the plane. Even though I showed AA the MSDS from F&G they still made me take out the batteries.

Fortunately, on my second flight although my bag was gate-checked I didn't have to remove the batteries. There was no damage to the WC, and the plane didn't burn up with Lithium-ion batteries in my WC in the hold.

I believe the last part should read: "the plane didn't burn up with Lithium-ion batteries in my WC in the hold, this time"

https://thepointsguy.com/news/overheated-lithium-could-bring-down-plane/

@bluecruiser nice report! Although sorry about what happened at the airport. We flew for the first time with the MagShock last month. At the ticket counter the agent looked at the info from F&G regarding the batteries being fully enclosed in the frame, then she tagged the chair for gate-checking. Once at the gate, the agent there saw the tag and that was it as far as conversation about the batteries went. Like you, we were wishing the chair could be locked into the folded position - the travel case would be much easier to put on.

And, yes, we also had people curious about the chair at almost every step of the way beginning with airline employees. The flight attendants and baggage guys at the bottom of the jet bridge were very interested (and probably relieved) at seeing it folded and the travel case put on. Then our hotel driver and bell services guys were interested in how the folding worked. Plus we were stopped in the parks a couple of times by people with questions.

Please keep reporting on the rest of your trip. Hearing someone else’s experience is really helpful.

How does being fully enclosed in a frame make them safe?
Good question, I'm not sure. I didn't think to ask at the time but the following information is clearly documented on their MSDS:
THIS LITHIUM-ION BATTERY MEETS ALL CURRENT IATA, FAA, TSA
GUIDELINES TO REMAIN IN THE EQUIPMENT OF THIS ELECTRIC
WHEELCHAIR WHILE ONBOARD A PASSENGER AIRCRAFT

Last edited:
How does being fully enclosed in a frame make them safe?

When the batteries are fully enclosed in the frame, (like the F&G batteries are) they are safe from damage because it's steel or magnesium tubing, (biggest concern is probably puncture damage) and can't accidentally spark because the terminals are connected inside the frame, at the bottom of the battery compartment. F&G uses a method that "snaps" the battery in so that it is highly unlikely it would be popped loose during flight.

The more people who fly with mobility devices (in general) the more we are going to have to advocate for ourselves.

Additionally, the FAA says that those batteries can ride in the frame; American is probably just being extra careful. The last time I flew with them, I had to put the batteries for my mobility device in the very first overhead bin in First Class, on the left side (which irritated the person who later sat there to no end LOL) and then the Flight Attendant reported to the Captain exactly where the batteries were! Granted, because my batteries are considered "removable" and are NOT protected by any framework, they fall under a different procedure.

When the batteries are fully enclosed in the frame, (like the F&G batteries are) they are safe from damage because it's steel or magnesium tubing, (biggest concern is probably puncture damage) and can't accidentally spark because the terminals are connected inside the frame, at the bottom of the battery compartment. F&G uses a method that "snaps" the battery in so that it is highly unlikely it would be popped loose during flight.

The more people who fly with mobility devices (in general) the more we are going to have to advocate for ourselves.

Additionally, the FAA says that those batteries can ride in the frame; American is probably just being extra careful. The last time I flew with them, I had to put the batteries for my mobility device in the very first overhead bin in First Class, on the left side (which irritated the person who later sat there to no end LOL) and then the Flight Attendant reported to the Captain exactly where the batteries were! Granted, because my batteries are considered "removable" and are NOT protected by any framework, they fall under a different procedure.

Did you have to put the batteries in a bag and if so, what did the bag look like?

Did you have to put the batteries in a bag and if so, what did the bag look like?

Yes - I have a bag purchased from Travelscoot that is padded on all sides, and has a generous zipper opening. It will hold up to 3 batteries and 3 charger sets. (although I currently only have 1 battery that is eligible to fly; the other 2 are too many ?watt-hours? ?amp-hours? whatever the measurement is, although they are the same physical size as my "certified" battery that I can fly with LOL)

My battery bag looks like this:

December 2 Disney California Adventure

Summary - I'm not as young as I used to be. I don't take enough pictures. MaxPass rocks! Batteries.

Abbreviations
CM = cast member
DCA = Disney California Adventure park
ECV = electric conveyance vehicle
F&G = Fold & Go wheelchair company
FP = FastPass
WC = wheelchair

After yesterday's adventures and a 3-hour time change, I was more tired than I thought. So I slept in and got to DCA around 11 AM. All told, today I rode 5 attractions, sampled some holiday food from Festival of Holidays, shopped a little, and had a nice afternoon break.

Jessie's Critter Carousel - think Merry-Go-Round with cartoon character animals instead of horses. Whimsical, based on a brief appearance of some lesser-known characters in one of the Toy Story cartoons. As you approach the queue for the ride, there's a door with the WC symbol on it where you enter (picture below). ECV's must be parked outside (but not too far from the entrance). WC's enter through the marked door and can be parked with a short walk to the ride or you can remain on your WC on the attraction. It's a high step up if you want to ride one of the moving critters, so I chose the stationary bench. The middle section of the bench can fold up with room for a WC and one additional person on either side of the WC. They put chocks under the wheels to keep the WC from moving while the attraction is in motion. (sorry I neglected to get a picture of the bench)

Incredicoaster - both the standby and FP queues (and I assume single rider) can handle ECV's and WC's, with one exception. There are two separate tracks in the boarding area. The regular queues have stairs to go up and over to the other side of the tracks. To avoid the stairs you take an elevator up one level and cross over to another elevator that takes you back down to boarding. Since the coaster train ends on the opposite side where you boarded, a CM moves your device from where you boarded the ride to the exit area.

This ride may be difficult for tall people or those with knee problems. I'm 5'8" with arthritic knees and one knee is more stiff and doesn't like to bend excessively. So it was a little painful but the ride was blessedly short. I think this is my last time riding this coaster; along with knee pain, it was just too rough for me (speed, loop, and sharp turns) and I ended up with a headache that sent me back to my hotel for a bit.

Batteries - as I was recovering from my coaster experience, I was taking my time going around the park and noticed my battery meter seemed to be quickly dropping. That was my cue to return to the hotel. The WC konked out totally (shut down) not far from the hotel room, so I put it in freewheel mode and walked it the rest of the way. I had some lunch and plugged in the WC to charge, then talked with F&G. From our discussion it might have been somewhat normal for the batteries to wear down so quickly, so I will continue to monitor them. The person from F&G didn't think I damaged the battery when I accidentally put one of them in upside down yesterday (see post #1 for more details), but I'll just have to see how it goes. After about 3 hours of charging it was almost fully charged and I was feeling much better after lunch and a rest, so I went back to DCA.

Radiator Springs Racers - all 3 queues (standby, FP, and single rider) appear to be WC/ECV friendly. Except for these annoying swinging half-gates partway through the queue. The gates are easily manageable if you have another person with you who can hold them open. You can deal with them if you're on your own, it just takes some effort; I used my foot to push the gate open and then grabbed the gate with one hand to hold it open as I went through.

Once you reach the point where all 3 queues merge, there's a CM who will direct you to the accessible loading area where you park your device. Here they pull off a vehicle so there is additional time for loading without impacting the ride flow. You step down into the vehicle which has two rows of three seats each. I sat in the far left front row, which had reduced foot/leg space due to curvature of the vehicle. So again, if you're tall or have knee problems, you might try for a middle seat. I don't remember if the back row has the same reduced seating, so if you have concerns, just ask the CM which seat would be best for you.

The ride experience is a mixture of scenic and fast sections (which are banked). If you like the Cars movies you'll like this ride. It was fun and enjoyable.

Soarin' - all queues (standby, single rider, and FP) are WC/ECV friendly, all the way up to the attraction seating. Parking of your device is simpler in California than Florida. Both versions have 3 sets of seats with aisles between, it's like a theater with two aisles (only the seats rise up into the air when the attraction starts). In California there are marked rectangles on the floor in the two aisles where you can park several devices. I'd guess up to either two or four in each aisle. So you don't have far to walk to get back to your WC/ECV. Florida's parking is further away, down the hall as you exit.

Toy Story Midway Mania - the theme continues of queues large enough for people on foot and WC/ECV. As you get close to the boarding area you're directed to the accessible loading area where you park your device. They pull off a vehicle so there's additional time for loading without impacting the ride flow. I didn't see any today, but there are ride vehicles where you can remain in your WC. ECV's have to transfer but if you need it, they have manual WC's you can transfer to so you can remain in a WC on the vehicle.

This is a fun arcade-game attraction where you shoot things at targets (all on screens in front of you) by pulling a string in your vehicle. For example, in one scene you fire baseballs at plates and the goal is to break as many high-scoring plates you can. There's a lot of spinning on this ride as you move from scene to scene, so you may get dizzy.

Lessons learned:

1. MaxPass rocks! Disneyland Resort doesn't have the same FP plus system that Florida has, but they have added something called MaxPass (which costs $15 per day). MaxPass lets you get FPs in either park using the Disneyland app instead of having to go to a FP machine near each attraction. Also, Disneyland FPs can only be obtained the day of your visit, there is no pre-planning like in Florida. If you have a park-hopper ticket you can use MaxPass to get a FP for the other park before you even enter that park (as long as you've already entered at least one park). I swore I would never pay extra for MaxPass, but once I tried it I fell in love with the convenience.

2. I don't take enough pictures. I'd love to pepper my trip report with related pictures, but I'm just not a big picture-taker. I'll try to have at least one picture in each day's report, but I'm not making any promises beyond that.

Battery status at the end of day 2: mid-day batteries went to 0. After about 3 hours of charging they were almost fully charged. I'll continue to charge the batteries overnight each night while I'm here, and I'll take my charger with me instead of leaving it in the hotel.

Last edited:
...Soarin' - all queues (standby, single rider, and FP) are WC/ECV friendly, all the way up to the attraction seating. Parking of your device is simpler in California than Florida. Both versions have 3 sets of seats with aisles between, it's like a theater with two aisles (only the seats rise up into the air when the attraction starts). In California there are marked rectangles on the floor in the two aisles where you can park several devices. I'd guess up to either two or four in each aisle. So you don't have far to walk to get back to your WC/ECV. Florida's parking is further away, down the hall as you exit.

About parking mobility devices at Soarin’ - When we rode it (at WDW) last month they directed me to the end seat of the center section and had me park right next to it. So in the aisle as like your experience in DL. Really easy. I walked maybe two feet to get seated and the wheelchair was in the same place when we got off. But when we were there a year ago I was using an ECV and they had me park a different way for each of the three times we rode. Once was outside the theater when I said, yes, I could make it to the seating using my cane. Once was inside the theater part, next to the wall. And the third time was right next to the seating as with the wheelchair but the ECV was moved next to the wall when we got off. So maybe in Florida there’s a different procedure for ECVs vs wheelchairs?

And, again, thanks for the report!

Thank you mamabunny. So, it's not really a 'frame', it's a box. A frame would be open on the sides and top and the battery would not be safe from puncture or other damage. So even if the wheelchair gets handle roughly (as per the other thread here on disABILITIES about how the airlines don't handle equipment correctly) there's not even a slight chance that the battery could malfunction? That's good to know. I mean, there's no way they could be unsnapped, or put in upside down, right?

Thank you mamabunny. So, it's not really a 'frame', it's a box. A frame would be open on the sides and top and the battery would not be safe from puncture or other damage. So even if the wheelchair gets handle roughly (as per the other thread here on disABILITIES about how the airlines don't handle equipment correctly) there's not even a slight chance that the battery could malfunction? That's good to know. I mean, there's no way they could be unsnapped, or put in upside down, right?

I'm so sorry @DisneyOma - I think I didn't word my original reply well. When I referred to the "frame", I meant the overall frame of the F&G chair (like the structure). The batteries on the F&G chair go into what could be described as a "closed compartment" where the connector is down inside the bottom, or as you said, a box. 🙂

Our good friend @bluecruiser has discovered that's its possible to accidentally install a F&G battery upside down, which results in a full-stop for the chair. However, as Blue said in the post above, it wasn't easy for that battery to go in, which ordinarily would have been a big red flag moment (I *totally* get that, because if I was sitting in an airport, and was worried about the rest of my trip, I could have easily done exactly the same thing; it's easy to get flustered when you are worried like that.)

From the reports of folks here who have the F&G chairs, and the videos I have watched on YouTube and F&G's website, there is a nice, satisfying "snap" when those batteries are installed correctly. They won't just come out during flight - but if a person was worried, it would super easy to carry along a roll of blue painter's tape, and just put a nice big ol' strip of tape over the end of the batteries to make sure. (I really don't think it would be needed - and I am the Original WorryWart! LOL)

December 3 Disneyland

Summary - 5 attractions and a break. Then on to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge where I had a spiritual experience and drank blue milk.

Updated: Photos fixed and added to post. The orientation was fixed when I opened each in Paint and just saved them again.

For some reason my photos are all upside down in the post when I try to insert them. I could use some advice on how to fix them. They're JPG files from my iPhone and I didn't change any image settings between yesterday and today. So although I did better by getting images from three attractions, for now this post will have to be image-less.

Abbreviations used
CM = cast member
FP = FastPass
WC = wheelchair

Enchanted Tiki Room - a CM will direct you to the ramp that leads you to attraction entrance. Bonus - there are two companion restrooms in this area.

Top of the ramp with stairs on the right:

Looking to the left you see the entrance:

And further to the left, actually behind you, are the companion rest rooms:

You will miss some of the pre-show that occurs throughout the waiting area, but you can hear the audio.

You can stay in your WC/ECV or take a seat. The CM recommended I try for the seating area opposite the entrance. He explained this would help me avoid the worst of the "mass scrum" (as he called it) when people are exiting. His advice worked well.

Disneyland Railroad - all stations except Main Street are WC/ECV accessible via a ramp. Main Street station's only access is via stairs. The last car is designed with a ramp they can lower for access and space for two vehicles. On my ride there were two wheelchairs but ECV's would fit instead (at least one of them). There's a bench behind the WC/ECV area with some companion seating.

Haunted Mansion Holiday - a CM will direct you to the WC/ECV line that leads to a ramp.

Throughout the line CM's will direct you where to go. You have to transfer to a ride vehicle, but they can slow down or stop the ride conveyor belt. This time they had a batch of about 4 parties to load, so they stopped the belt. You don't exit at the regular unload area, but stay in your Doombuggy until you get back to the boarding area. A CM leads you back out the way you came in, including riding up the stretching room elevator to the initial ramp and back out through a separate line beside the queue area.

Be aware it's pretty dark once you enter the building, so go slow and follow the CM with the flashlight. I purposely didn't turn on my headlights because I didn't want to ruin the atmosphere for people in line for the ride. But if I needed to I could have used my headlight and aimed it more down toward the ground.

"it's a small world" Holiday - another "mainstream" line that can take everyone all the way to the boarding area. There is a boat where you can stay in your WC, but they were pretty busy today so I didn't wait the additional 30 minutes they estimated for the drive-on boat. Since they were so busy I wasn't able to get further information about the "drive-on" boat. I parked my WC and entered the boat, having a row all to myself. This was good because it let me stretch out my bad knee so I wasn't cramped for the ride.

Peter Pan - since the queue for this attraction is too narrow for a WC or ECV, Disney offers you the option to have your ticket scanned and you get a return time approximately equal to the current ride time (with an hour window like FP). It's somewhat similar to the DAS, but you don't need a DAS to use it. All the CM needs to see is that you're in a WC/ECV, and they know you can't go through the queue.

Return times are also offered at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (someone else please chime in if there are other attractions at Disneyland that offer return times). The nice thing about getting a return time is that it's separate from any FP's you have, so you can have an active FP and an overlapping return time.

After 4 hours in park I took a break to rest up and recharge the WC. It had gone down 3 bars (out of 7) in that time.

Savi's Workshop - I'm a Star Wars fan, but initially I wasn't overly excited about the new Star Wars area (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge). But the videos of the build-your-own lightsaber event convinced me I wanted to experience this. There are several spaces in the workshop that have a little extra room around them, so CM's assigned those of us in "lightspeeders" (WC/ECV) to these spaces. This experience is set in the world of Star Wars with talk about Resistance and First Order and mentions of a number of characters in Star Wars and what color their lightsaber blades were. CM's who run the workshop are absolutely in character the whole time, as they guide you through the component selection and build process. At one point in the process I almost had chills due to the experience. I don't want to give away too many details for people who might want to do the workshop in the future, but it was worth the $200 cost to me for this experience. Reservations are required and can be made online up to 60 days in advance.

Oga's Cantina - reservations required, can be made online up to 60 days in advance. This is a Star Wars-themed bar, which is normally not my thing. But I had to at least check it out. I had their Blue Bantha, a drink made of Blue Milk from Star Wars movies. The drink was non-alcoholic, fairly sweet with a citrusy flavor. This was a one-and-done experience for me.

You can check in at the location 15 minutes before your reservation time, and then you wait in line to be let in. There aren't many tables here, it's mostly standing at tall tables. So be prepared for an additional wait if you want a table. I stayed in my WC and a CM ran interference for me as she led me to a spot at the bar. I think you can stay in your ECV, but you'll have to deal with the crowded bar atmosphere.

Battery status at the end of the day - down to 1 bar (out of 7) after 3 hours travel in the evening and 4 hours earlier in the day, with a 1-2 hour charge in between. Note the typical time to fully charge the two batteries is quoted as 5 hours.

Attachments

• HM ramp.jpg
    HM ramp.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Blue Bantha.jpg
    Blue Bantha.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
We will be going to WDW in Jan, and I already know that Savi's Workshop is just going to leave me in a puddle of tears! My whole goal is to get out without ugly crying LOL

I wish we knew how many miles you had traveled before/after your midway recharge! These are such great trip reports; I really do appreciate them! 🙂

December 4 Downtown Disney

Summary
- it rained and rained and rained ...

Abbreviations used:
DTD = Downtown Disney
DVC = Disney Vacation Club
WC = wheelchair

It rained most of the day with a couple brief breaks. So I did my non-park day today instead of later in the week. I mostly hung around the hotel and made two different trips to DTD, interrupted when the rain resurfaced.

I'm staying at the Grand Californian, so DTD is very close and convenient. DTD is much smaller than Disney Springs in Florida, and it has even fewer stores than my last trip two years ago. This is due to Disney shuttering a number of restaurants and stores in preparation for a new hotel project that ended up being cancelled. (Not be confused with the recently announced potential new DVC tower on Disneyland Hotel property.) A few of those stores have come back, but for a serious window shopper like me, the pickings are slimmer now. And I really missed the AMC Theatre; it was the perfect rainy day for catching a movie.

WC/ECV access varied from store to store. Some stores had a door propped open but as it was a cold rainy day many had closed doors. Opening a non-automatic door when in a WC/ECV can be tricky, but in many cases other people jumped in to help, which I appreciated.

I always put my WC at lowest speed before entering a store or restaurant. Since there's so much less space for DTD, some of the stores are tight inside and difficult to maneuver. World of Disney is a major exception - with their redesign last year there's much more space to move about the store.

The lighting in DTD at night is much better than the parks. I didn't really need to use my lights there, but always did after dark in the parks.

Battery status at the end of the day - after some wandering around the hotel and two short round trips to DTD, there was still plenty of power left. Only down 1 bar out of 7.

Does Disneyland have hilly areas like WDW? That too can affect the battery life.
There are some hills, but it didn't feel as bad as WDW. One thing I really notice in the WC as compared to past trips with ECV's, is that you really feel it when there's a slope from left to right (or vice versa). It doesn't even have to be a steep slope. As you go across it, perpendicular to the slope, you can really feel the "lean."

December 5 DCA

Summary - finally the rain was gone. Some repeats and some new attractions.

Abbreviations used
CM = cast member
DCA = Disney California Adventure
WC = wheelchair

Details for attractions not previously covered:

Turtle Talk with Crush - theater show. WC/ECV seating sections are in the back row with companion seats beside.

The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure - the queue is mainstream like most (all?) of DCA. At the end you're directed to a WC/ECV parking area if you can transfer. This ride has a conveyor loading belt like Haunted Mansion, which I believe they can slow down or stop if needed. The cars are called clamshells and are similar in style to DoomBuggies at Haunted Mansion.

There is a WC/ECV car. The CM told me they have to be sure the WC/ECV is stable with a low center of gravity in order to use the car. They use chocks to block the wheels and a seatbelt across you and your WC/ECV. It sounds like you're not locked down as tightly as you would be on, say, a bus at WDW. There's a point in the ride where your clamshell leans backward, but otherwise it's a calm ride-through attraction. So my guess is they're mostly concerned about the leaning back part.

Mickey's PhilharMagic - another theater show (this one's in 3D), see Turtle Talk with Crush above. WC/ECV seating in back row.

Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue - mainstreamed queue. The CM moved my WC to the exit after I boarded.

Battery status at the end of the day - down to 4 out of 7 after 5-6 hours in the park.

The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure - the queue is mainstream like most (all?) of DCA. At the end you're directed to a WC/ECV parking area if you can transfer. This ride has a conveyor loading belt like Haunted Mansion, which I believe they can slow down or stop if needed. The cars are called clamshells and are similar in style to DoomBuggies at Haunted Mansion.

There is a WC/ECV car. The CM told me they have to be sure the WC/ECV is stable with a low center of gravity in order to use the car. They use chocks to block the wheels and a seatbelt across you and your WC/ECV. It sounds like you're not locked down as tightly as you would be on, say, a bus at WDW. There's a point in the ride where your clamshell leans backward, but otherwise it's a calm ride-through attraction. So my guess is they're mostly concerned about the leaning back part.

What do they mean by a low center of gravity? Like the chair can’t have a tilting/reclining feature built in?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!