Trip Report - Gay Bashed in Boca Rotan

unfreshdiva1

DIS Veteran
Partner and I will be moving from Raleigh, NC to Boca Rotan, FL sometime in August (partner will be grad student at FAU and I'll be moving after I sell house). Well, we had week long trip planned at WDW and decided to go a few days early and drive to Boca. Arrive 4/21 in Boca after early morning flight to Orlando and 3 hour drive to Boca. Checked out school and started scouting for places to live. Had dinner at microbrewery and as we were walking back to hotel, car full of high school guys drives by us and they shout "Hey fags!!!!". We were stunned as it has been years since we had experienced this sort of behavior. I yelled something back, but not the witty remark I would have liked to have. Funny thing is that we were just walking (not holding hands, kissing, etc) but these guys saw two men walking together and decided to yell something they thought would tear us down.

Drove back to Orlando on 4/23 and had great week at WDW and Universal. Really hate what they are doing/have done to Pleasure Island (most things are blocked off/torn down except for a few of the clubs). Can't wait to see if they will have things cleaned up before Gay Days. :cool1:

My DH's boss, a black man, was looking for a new home here in Orlando. The real estate agent actually pointed out homes in a neighborhood he was looking at with rainbow flags, and not in a nice way!

He very bluntly told her that having gay neighbors improves your property value, not vise versa, and asked her if because he was black, should he be looking for a house in the ghetto?

Ignorance is very much alive here in the south. But Orlando over all is a very friendly town.

Good Luck on your move, I doubt you will have many more issues like this.

Mike

Yeah I live in small town Canada and we get that from time to time near the local gay bar.

Ironically enough, just last week.. someone yelled something similar to a bunch of us waiting in line.

One of the guys in line shouted back in a big manly voice something like "Yeah ? And ...?"

I roared laughing.

J

unfreshdiva1 said:
Had dinner at microbrewery and as we were walking back to hotel, car full of high school guys drives by us and they shout "Hey fags!!!!". We were stunned as it has been years since we had experienced this sort of behavior. I yelled something back, but not the witty remark I would have liked to have.

Sorry about your experience, but I would not count that as "gay bashing". They may have insulted you and they may have even done it because they thought you were gay, but bashing is assault, not speech.

/carmi

Being part of an interacial couple, we have experienced many nasty comments (usually by other men who believe we should be with "our own kind"). It just has been years since we experienced this and it upset us. Didn't mean to upset anyone by saying we were bashed, instead of just being yelled at by some over indulged teenagers. Another note - we saw much pda with teenagers (many from junior high school kids at AK) and men with no shirts on (it wasn't that hot!!!). Funny on how these are some of the reasons straight people do not want to go to WDW during Gay Days! :cool1:

Personally, I have never liked Boca Raton. Think of it this way, it's not called "Mouth of the Rat" for nothing. My mother lives in Delray Beach, and I prefer to stay on that side of that area.

Go drive over to Fort Lauderdale. Word is that they have a gay community.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter