Trip Report - Got back last night!

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
Well I'm back after 5 nights at the DLH and overall the trip was terrific.

DL, DCA, and DTD were all decked out for the holidays and looked specatacular - very beautiful! And the fireworks were as usual incredible with snow (foam bubbles) at the end falling on mainstreet. LOVED IT!

The crowds were moderately light, and the longest we stood in line for a ride was about 10 minutes. At times we could just walk on a ride like Pirates, Indiana Jones, Small World, Star Tours, and all of the FantasyLand rides except Peter Pan and Dumbo. We never did get to ride Peter Pan because the line was sooooooo long.

Some rides, especially in Tomorrow Land, we rode at least 8 times during our trip because that is our 5 year old's favorite part of the park.

We didn't spend too much time at DCA since it's geared towards the older kids, but we rode Soarin twice (our first time ever riding this attraction) and it was great. We also watched Muppet Vision 3D and Disney Playhouse, which our kids loved.

So all-in-all the parks were fun, fun, fun! ::yes::

We stayed at the DLH in the Marina tower. Our room was good sized and nice, but unfortunatley it was right above the roof of the convention center and Goofy's kitchen, so the view was basically terrible. We weren't too disappointed though because we spent most of our time in the parks, and we could still see the Neverland pool, Hooks Point, etc.

We also had a character breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen, which was awesome. All the characters (Chip & Dale, Pluto, Goofy, Max, Mary Poppins, Donald Duck, Aladdin) visited us and played around with the kids. Even our 17 month old loved it and wasn't at all afraid of the characters. We got some great pictures!

Warning about staying at the DLH without a rental car - although the rooms are nice and it's in a great location, the prices for food and beverages are unbelievable high, and without a way to eat somewhere off Disney property, you're stuck with the high, high, high Disney prices. :crazy: We didn't rent a car, so our choices for eating was DL, DCA, DTD, or DLH. It didn't matter if we were sitting down to a nice lunch at the Blue Bayou or just buying some chips, fruit, and drinks at a food stand, our total always seemed to hit over $50. Heck, even a small 8oz carton of milk, which was enough to fill only one baby bottle for our youngest, was $1.79.

The next time we stay at a Disney property, we're definatley going to make a stop at a grocery store or 7-11 and stock up on supplies (snacks, milk, cereal, pop, etc...) before checking in. This is a good tip for anyone staying at a Disney property. ;)

Next time we go to DL, we'll probably go back to the good ol Hojo, the Hilton, or we might try the Candy Cane Inn. But don't worry, we'll be back to stay at a Disney property, we just need to fatten up our wallets again if you know what I mean.

By the way, on Mickeys birthday they had two parades on Main Street to celebrate. AND it looks like the Matterhorn is almost ready to reopen. The box at the top of the Matterhorn is gone, and on Thursday (Nov. 18th) they were running the bobsleds around the tracks testing them out. My husband talked to one of the crew that has been working on the Matterhorn, and he told my husband that they have been removing asbestos from the inside of the mountain.

Also, the new Buzz Lightyear attraction is coming along. They have the queue archway up with approx wait times, and if I recall, I think the attraction is called "Astro Blasters".

I wish I knew what they were imagineering in the old submarine attraction. Maybe it'll have something to do with Nemo?! That would be pretty cool. Anyway, I want the 411 on this.

Well, what more can I say without writing a book. We had a great time, and everytime we go I see something or learn something that I've never seen or known before.

:flower: :flower3: :flower:

Great trip report! It sounds like your family had a wonderful time, especially with the shorter lines! :)

Sounds like a wonderful vacation, thanks so much for sharing! I agree about the grocery stop, those small items add up so very quickly. Bring your own cooler if your hotel does not have a fridge. Reading others trip reports makes me want to go again:)

Super-Mom,

Sounds like you had a great time. We are definitely looking forward to our trip next week. I'm hoping the Matterhorn will be done by then. I've always wanted to ride that.

Where did you eat? Any recommendations?

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving. :D

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks all of you for responding to my trip report.

ZZUB - First off, I think next week will be a great time to visit the DL because the holiday crowds should be gone until X-mas, so the crowds should be moderatley light for you. ::yes::

Also the Matterhorn is now open, so when you get back you can let us know how it looks from up close.

As far as eating recommendations, I don't think any of the food is superb, but for alright tasting food try:
Blue Bayou - a little pricey (but what isn't at DL)
Goofy's Kitchen - not a bad buffet for breakfast or dinner
Le Brea Bakery - in DTD, good sandwiches, mac & cheese, coffee, beer, etc. They're located across (kitty corner) from the front gate to DL.
Rainforest Cafe - located in DTD close to the Monorail station. Food is pretty good, prices aren't too outrageous, and they're now open for breakfast. Their gift shop had some terrific sales going on when we were there.

I'm not sure where you're staying, but if you're staying at a good neighbor hotel, then try to eat off DL property as much as possible because you can get much better tasting food for a much better price at the local restaurants. To be quite honest, I can get better tasting food at my local grocery store's deli than at most of the Disney restaurants. I love Disney, but this is one area that I think they could drastically improve.

Anyway, have a fun, fun, fun time at DL, and tell us all about it when you get back. Maybe you'll have better luck with the eateries than us.

Have a safe trip! :flower: :flower3: :flower:

Originally posted by disney-super-mom
I'm not sure where you're staying, but if you're staying at a good neighbor hotel, then try to eat off DL property as much as possible because you can get much better tasting food for a much better price at the local restaurants. To be quite honest, I can get better tasting food at my local grocery store's deli than at most of the Disney restaurants. I love Disney, but this is one area that I think they could drastically improve.
Wow! I completely disagree about that. Plaza Inn at the end of Main Street has great food and a wide range of choices, The French Market in New Orleans Square is awesome, Rancho Del Zocalo just got a deliciuos new menu (pricey, but good), and there are so many others!! The only thing I don't recommend is the "fast food," (AKA Clubb Buzz and Village Haus now that Stagedoor Cafe has a new menu)..... burgers, pizza, chicken sandwiches,... especially the pizza- it tastes like it's cafeteria style. But even the pizza places (redd rocket's in DL and Pizza oo mow mow in DCA) have good pasta dishes. The Fusilli is one of my absolute favorites, and you get so much food! I've eaten at almost all of the resorts eateries, and more often than not i've been extremely satisfied.
There's also a McDonalds, Denny's, Mimi's Cafe, and a Captain Kidd's across the street on Harbour Boulevard. If you go down to Harbor and Katella ( about two blocks maybe a five minute walk) there is a 7 eleven where sodas cost $2 plus tax and CRV instead of $2.75, but you can get a pepsi. Also, I'm not to thrilled with Rainforest Cafe. the food's not that great, and it's pretty much the same price as Disneyland.

BTW- If you're going to go to Knott's or Magic Mountain, the food is actually more expensive than DL.

Hi arilvdc,

I think it's great that you like the Disney food at those places you mentioned, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. One of the worst places we ate at was The French Market, and yet we thought Village Haus was pretty good for a burger, salad, or pizza.

I'm not saying that every bit of food that Disney serves is awful. Their burgers, fries, pizza, sandwiches, nachos, salads, mac & cheese, etc, are pretty good. But come on, if I'm going to spend $50 or more for two adults and a five year old to eat, then it better be at least as good as a Denny's or a grocery's deli, and a lot of Disney food just simply isn't. Of course, no one visits Disneyland for the food.
;)
What do you mean you don't recommend their "fast food"? It's ALL fast food, served cafeteria style, and that's why it tastes like cafeteria style food. The only places at DL that doesn't serve "fast food" is the Blue Bayou and Carnation Cafe, which is why they are two of the better places to eat at DL.

I guess to give Disney a little credit, when you have to serve many thousands of people everyday, millions a year, and you have to make mass amounts of food to feed them, you have no choice but to make the best of a cafeteria style eatery. So if you look at it that way, then their food isn't so bad except for the price vs. taste quality.

And you made my point exactly to save some money and eat off Disney when you mentioned eateries across the street on Harbour Blvd like Mimi's, McDonalds, etc. Much better food for a lot less money! Well, maybe someone can read our two differences of opinion and get some great information on where to eat at Disney.

:flower:

disney-super-mom said:
Hi arilvdc,

But come on, if I'm going to spend $50 or more for two adults and a five year old to eat, then it better be at least as good as a Denny's or a grocery's deli, and a lot of Disney food just simply isn't. Of course, no one visits Disneyland for the food.
;)
:flower:

Wow, that's really bumming me out. I'm used to WDW where people DO visit just for the food, especially for the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot. I know that DL doesn't have nearly the number of dining options, since it's smaller and caters to a day-tripping crowd, but I was hoping that what they did have would be OUTSTANDING.

Sounds like you had tons of fun with your family.. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Great trip report, Super-mom! ::yes::

With Love <3,
Trix-Z

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter