Trip Report: Island hopping from Vancouver Island to O'ahu March 2016

Thanks for the camera tip! The photos are super clear =)

Loving following along. I cannot wait to see the turtles as well! And drink from a pineapple! So cool =)

The pineapple drink was so refreshing. It was just pineapple juice blended with crushed ice, so the kids could have it too. I wasn't sure what to do with it when we cleaned up our garbage, though. At home, we have to separate our garbage and recycling and compost, so I didn't want to put the pineapple in the garbage! I left it on top of the bin, just in case they had a compost somewhere!

I liked Aloha Salads- it was pretty much like Subway but with better quality ingredients. It took a long time for our food to be ready, though, compared to Subway. Either we weren't very hungry, or their portions were big, because none of us finished and packed up the leftovers for lunch the next day. We went to the one in the plaza with Target, and there weren't very many seats. We sat upstairs, but it wasn't very nice up there. I think most people just get their food to go.

This is great-thanks Rubygoose!

For all you pineapple lovers out there, I bought this spiral corer for our last trip and I will always take it now. It is light and breaks down into two small sections so it is easy to travel with. You cut the top off the pineapple, press the tool down firmly and then twist it all the way to the bottom. Once it is at the bottom you simply pull and out comes the middle of the pineapple in a spiral. The best part is you are left with a pineapple shell that you can fill with a smoothie, juice, pina colda or whatever else you choose. Easy to clean too. My teen kids went bananas for this!
74766_6_kitchen_stuff_plus_spiral_stainless_steel_black_pineapple_corer_slicer_ver12_1.jpg
74766_7_kitchen_stuff_plus_spiral_stainless_steel_black_pineapple_corer_slicer_ver2_1.jpg
74766_9_kitchen_stuff_plus_spiral_stainless_steel_black_pineapple_corer_slicer_ver7_1.jpg

http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/ksp-spiral-pineapple-corer-slicer

Ok, one more question....can you do online check in even if you aren't DVC? I thought I had read prior that only DVC members could do online check in. Thanks! =)

Ok, one more question....can you do online check in even if you aren't DVC? I thought I had read prior that only DVC members could do online check in. Thanks! =)

Yes! We're not DVC and we stayed in a regular hotel room on the non-DVC side of the resort.

Thursday, March 17th

After a busy "out and about trip" day, it was nice to have a relaxing day at the resort. We slept in, I think, as much as we could. We enjoyed breakfast in our room and then headed down to claim pool chairs, get our wristbands for the pool and sign out lifejackets, then headed to the beach. Annie spent most of the time in the sand and Gavin enjoyed the boogie board.

981181_10156584718515167_1884843183867052143_o.jpg

12068738_10156584709215167_7390226852862262605_o.jpg

We went to rainbow reef at around 10am again and got to help feed the fish! The photopass photographer was a bit better this time - the last guy just took photos of our feet, pretty much.

Photo 0144.jpg

(The Photopass lady took this photo. You can see Bryan in the background using his waterproof camera.) Gavin is holding onto a Mickey shaped handle that is attached to a basket of food for the fish.

DSCF0095.JPG

When you purchase the rentals for Rainbow Reef, you get the snorkel and the life vest to borrow, but they suggested that the kids use the regular life jackets that we had already signed out that morning. It was good to get Annie's life vest early because they didn't have many of the youth size (the yellow ones.)

We really enjoyed the tube slide, and it's fun to go right from the tube slide into the lazy river.
DSCF0118.JPG

Now, if you've followed my previous trip reports, you will know that our family LOVES splash mountain. I was having the slightest bit of B'rer Rabbit withdrawal, so I sang "How do you do..." on the lazy river!

At some point, we signed out a video from the Pau Hana room, ate our leftovers from Aloha Salads for lunch and called the character line to see who we could see that afternoon. Surprisingly, there was a Japanese celebrity on the schedule for today!

Last edited:
Character Break!
Here are a few photos from my phone from earlier in the trip (Monday and Tuesday, I think):
20160314_113838.jpg

20160315_132657.jpg

20160315_124151.jpg

20160315_124205.jpg

Ok... back to Thursday, March 17th (cont)

Bryan called the Character Line and found out that Duffy was meeting by the koi pond, and then Minnie and Mickey would be meeting together by the Ewa tower! Duffy is pretty rare on the mainland now-a-days. He used to be at DCA but they replaced him with Oswald. We saw him last year at Epcot, but I think he has since left WDW. There are so many Japanese tourists at Aulani, and Duffy has a huge Asian following, so it would make sense for him to be at Aulani.

When we got down to the koi pond there were some CMs forming a line, so I asked the Japanese ladies in line if this was the line for Duffy and they nodded. There were about 4 groups in front of us and a huge line formed behind us. About 80% of the people in line were Japanese!

Duffy was very cute and cuddly, and he seemed to pay more attention to me than to the kids!

DSC09214.JPG

If you're not familiar with the story of Duffy... Minnie made him for Mickey so that Mickey would not be lonely when he was traveling. (There's a cartoon about this on the TVs in WDW.)

Notice anything about the shape of his face?

Photo 0170.jpg
Next, we hopped in line for a character who was leaving (Stitch, maybe?) because the CMs said that this was the line for Mickey and Minnie. I was so excited to finally get a picture of Mickey and Minnie together! Well... should I say... a picture of Mickey and Minnie together that they were actually willing to be in! (Take a look at this page in my TR from our 3rd trip to DLR and you'll know what I mean! http://www.disboards.com/threads/no...july-2013-completed-10-15-2013.3160807/page-2)

While we were waiting in line, we were behind to families from Japan who had cute little 3 year old girls. They didn't speak any english and they were mesmerized by Annie and Gavin. One of them kept grabbing their hands and dancing with them. They were absolutely adorable!

Finally, it was our turn to see Mickey and Minnie!

DSC09220.JPG

After we had our picture taken, Gavin asked Minnie "Are you two here on your Honeymoon?" and Minnie shook her head and pointed to her finger to show that she doesn't have a ring!

I was so happy to finally have a family photo with Mickey and Minnie where everyone is looking good... it only took 3 years to get the photo that I wanted!

Just FYI: the characters that you can see at Auani are Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Chip, Dale, Stitch, Goofy and Duffy. No Pluto and no Daisy. There's also Aunty and a couple Uncles to take photos with. Duffy isn't in the Starlight Hui, but the others are. Mickey wears sunglasses on his head for the pool party. Goofy wears aqua socks, so he comes right into the zero entry part of the lazy river. We did the character breakfast on our first Monday and again on the following Monday of our trip and there was a different lineup of characters and different quality of interaction.

Thursday, March 17 (cont)

After having our photo taken with Mickey and Minnie, we headed up to the Photopass booth in the gift shop. We had a photographer take our pictures in the Rainbow Reef and in the Lazy River that morning, so we needed to have these added onto our card. Annie really wanted to buy the Shelly Mae book, but I told her that everything in the gift shop was way too expensive, so she could take a look at it while we wait. Turns out we were in line behind the dad of the cute little Japanese girl we had just met in the Minnie and Mickey lineup, and he was looking for every single photo from their entire trip (and he only spoke and understood a little bit of Engligh.) Each time the lady added his photos she would ask "Anything else?" and he would say another day and time! We waited for about 10 minutes and then decided to jump ship. Meanwhile, Annie finished reading the Shelly Mae book, so she no longer needed to buy it, and her little friend kept her company.

12885724_10156584718750167_1876108323960527243_o.jpg
I think we did a Menehune trail that afternoon and then we got the kids an early dinner and had some downtime in the room watching Mickey and the Beanstock. The kids went to Aunty's for the Keiki Hula and Bryan and I had the buffet dinner at Makahiki.

The kids had fun at the Hula and then they watched a movie at Aunty's while they waited for us to pick them up.

12885853_10156517534315012_4194218625609235937_o.jpg

12891138_10156517534440012_8535231807382515466_o.jpg

Bryan and I really enjoyed our dinner. I think I liked the breakfast a bit more, but there were some great desserts to choose from at the dinner.

When we went to pick up the kids, Aunty's was pretty full. The kids were looking pretty tired, so we headed up to the room and went to bed... getting in a good sleep before our 2nd Out and About trip day!

This is great-thanks Rubygoose!

For all you pineapple lovers out there, I bought this spiral corer for our last trip and I will always take it now. It is light and breaks down into two small sections so it is easy to travel with. You cut the top off the pineapple, press the tool down firmly and then twist it all the way to the bottom. Once it is at the bottom you simply pull and out comes the middle of the pineapple in a spiral. The best part is you are left with a pineapple shell that you can fill with a smoothie, juice, pina colda or whatever else you choose. Easy to clean too. My teen kids went bananas for this!
74766_6_kitchen_stuff_plus_spiral_stainless_steel_black_pineapple_corer_slicer_ver12_1.jpg
74766_7_kitchen_stuff_plus_spiral_stainless_steel_black_pineapple_corer_slicer_ver2_1.jpg
74766_9_kitchen_stuff_plus_spiral_stainless_steel_black_pineapple_corer_slicer_ver7_1.jpg

http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/ksp-spiral-pineapple-corer-slicer
I am soooo getting this!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Friday, March 18th

I set the alarm on my phone for 6:30am, but I'm pretty sure I was awake before it went off. I woke up at 4am each day of this trip, and then went back to sleep! It didn't take much to wake up the kids. We had some breakfast and got ready to go. My aim was to leave the hotel room by 7:30, and we pretty much were right on time. We headed to the Alamo counter once again, but this time there was actually someone in front of us in line. He had a reservation for a mini van starting the next day, but he wanted to rent it early - he had to wait until noon, since they didn't have one available yet. Finally, it was our turn, and it was the same, helpful, young man helping us as on Wednesday. This time I rented the car using my Air Miles and we were going to keep the car for 2 days.

Finally, we got our car at around 8am and drove towards the Byodo-In temple. Now, this spot was strictly on my list because it is featured in Lost and because it's on the way to the Kualoa Ranch. But wow, was I blown away! This is a must-do stop if you're driving around O'ahu! The whole area just took my breath away.

DSC09229.JPG

We arrived just before 9am and were able to enter without waiting. This was included on the Go Oahu card, but it was only $3 per adult and $1 per child admission. We saw several cats and chickens just hanging around. We wandered the grounds, took off our shoes to go inside and see the Buddha, and then visited the gift shop. The kids each chose a souvenir and I even found a cute tea strainer for myself. It's a manatee that you put loose tea in and it hold onto the side of the tea cup! We bought some fish food for $2 and then fed the koi. We spotted a few turtles on the grass and in the pond. After about 45 minutes, we were ready to leave. Just as we were leaving, 2 large tour buses pulled up! Before we left the grounds, though, we drove further up to the lookout point, walked around a bit and took some pictures.

Then we hopped back in the car and got on our way to Kualoa Ranch. I had booked the 11am Jungle Expedition. This is also included in the Go Oahu card, and I had to make a reservation ahead of time. They require a credit card to hold the reservation, but this is just for no-shows. They didn't actually charge my card. It didn't take long to get to the ranch - maybe 15 to 20 minutes. We saw several signs on the way saying "Keep the Country Country" and later our tour guide explained that the residents of this area are trying to make sure that the state doesn't put a freeway through the mountains.

DSC09282.JPG

We had plenty of time before our tour, so we checked in and then walked around the grounds. We saw a couple tortoises and goats in the petting zoo and then looked around in the gift shop. My kids are too young to do the horseback riding, ATVs and Zipline, unfortunately. It was very busy here, since they offer so many tours and activities. We looked around the gift shop and then headed over to the waiting area for our Jungle Expedition (each tour has a different waiting location.) There was one family ahead of us in the waiting area.

When our vehicle arrived, we all lined up to take family photos (which were available to purchase for $30. We didn't bother). Luckily for us, the family ahead of us was told to wait behind the vehicle, but after we had our photo, they sent us to a different vehicle. We waited at the bottom of the steps, and then someone shouted that we could get on. That family ahead of us was in the same vehicle, but we somehow ended up in front of them and we got the front row seats! I was a little worried that my kids would get motion sickness, so I wasn't willing to give up our spots (and hey, it wasn't my fault that there was confusion of where that other family was supposed to stand.) The dad from that group was kind of annoying, since he had a go-pro camera and he was holding it out the side of the truck for the whole drive!

Our tour guide explained a lot about Hawaiian culture and beliefs and went into great detail about the area. She also showed us some movie sets from Jurassic World and from an upcoming movie.

DSC09329.JPG
(This isn't a very flattering picture of her, unfortunately, but it shows a set from Jurassic World.)

We drove all the way up to a lookout point and then got out to walk around for about 15 minutes. We walked up a pretty steep trail, and one of the larger young men in our group ended up slipping in the mud on the way back down.

Once we got back to the ranch, it was 12:30, so we had some lunch before getting back in the rental car. It was pretty busy at the cafeteria, but we were able to find a seat. They didn't have any kids menu options (that I could see, anyway) so my kids shared the chicken strips. I had the buffet and Bryan had a burger.

After lunch, we headed all the way down the island to the southern tip to Sea Life Park. This was on Annie's to-do list - she really wanted to see dolphins. Sea Life Park was on my take-it-or-leave-it list, and after being there, it's definitely on my leave-it list. I'm really glad this was included on the Go Oahu card, because I wouldn't want to pay admission to go here. It was really kind of sad. The kids enjoyed it though.

DSC09351.JPG

The Sealion show was really cute, though. She seemed very smart!

DSC09369.JPG

We drove past some beautiful beaches on the way to Sea Life, so we kept these in mind for the next day. I had looked into staying at Waimanallo when we were booking this trip, and it looks like a really cute little area with a beautiful beach.

We headed back to the resort for dinner and spent a bit of time on the beach.

It was a busy Out and About day 2!
DSC09399.JPG

Friday March 18th (cont)
It was a very busy day, driving from the West side of the island to the east, then up north, then all the way down to the south, then back across the island to Ko'Olina! The island wasn't as big as I had originally thought, and it is such a scenic drive along the southern east side of the island.

When I registered the kids for Aunty's Beach House at 90 days prior to our trip, they assigned the kids to 3 of the free activities. I wasn't happy with the first schedule that they gave me, since all 3 activities were on days that we weren't planning on being at the resort! They gave me a revised schedule, and they still had the Coconut Kings and Queens of Comedy activity for Friday, March 18th at 7:30pm. I didn't want to bother trying to switch again, so I just kept it there, and didn't tell the kids. Well, we ended up being back at the resort at around 5:30, and the kids still had some energy, so they decided to go to the activity at Aunty's. They had a lot of fun at this one, which I think is geared more towards kids their ages.

They got to dress up, tell jokes and have a "Crazy Dance Party!"

Photo 0228.jpg
Photo 0233.jpg

The kids had a blast, and I'm glad I didn't end up having them skip this activity!

Saturday, March 19th

We were awake by 6:30am again, without needing the alarm clock to go off. Our Go Oahu cards were finished, so this "out and about trip" day would be full of all non-Go-Oahu card activities. We had a Pirate Cruise scheduled for 10am from Waikiki, and the rest of the day was open for whatever we wanted to do. Originally, I thought we would go to the Honolulu Zoo, but after being kind of depressed at Sea Life Park, Bryan and I decided to skip the zoo and just do some exploring of the beaches instead. I'm sure the kids would have loved the zoo, but we were all getting pretty tired by this point, and walking around to look at caged animals just didn't seem appealing to us at this point. We hadn't told the kids that there even was a Zoo here, so they didn't complain. Instead, the plan was to go to the market at Aloha Stadium, then check in for the Pirate Cruise by 9:45, then have some sushi, hit up Uncle Clay's shave ice and then do some exploring with the remainder of the day.

We didn't have to go to the Alamo desk this morning, since we had the car booked for 2 days. This saved us a good 30 minutes, but we had to pay $37 to leave the parking structure! Even with the inconvenience of picking up the car from Alamo each morning, I think it would be worth it to have broken up the 2 day car rental into 2 one day rentals.

The market at Aloha Stadium opened at 8am, and I think we got there shortly after 8am. I was blown away by how many vendors were there - the stands seemed to keep going and going forever! We only went to the ones on the left side, and didn't have enough time to go to the ones on the right. Annie found a cute dress and Gavin found a Hawaiian shirt that came with matching shorts and I found a "magic skirt". We also picked up some bracelets for the kids teachers, and each of the kids wanted a little trinket, so Annie got a little solar powered hula dancer and Gavin got a turtle. We had to get going at 9am, but we really needed another hour or so if we were to explore the rest of the market.

DSC09412.JPG
We drove downtown and found our way to the Pirate Cruise check in, but then we took another 10 minutes or so to drive around a find parking! We finally found a spot at the park just past the harbour, and then tossed on some sunscreen. The kids needed to use the washroom, and there were public restrooms in the parking lot. Well... I would say this was the grossest ladies room Annie and I went to in Hawaii (so far!) Just around the corner from the sinks there were two stalls, but neither of them had doors! Annie said "I'm too embarrassed!" So I stood guard, blocking the pathway from the sinks to the stalls while she used the toilet, and then she returned the favour for me. If we weren't going to be on a boat for 90 minutes, I would have just left. Turns out there was a restroom on the boat!

We finally checked in for the pirate cruise and the kids put on their free bandanas and eye patches!
DSC09421.JPG

This cruise was so well themed and the crew were fantastic! Unfortunately, though, about 5 minutes after we left the dock, Annie says to me "I need a gravol!" and I realized that I forgot to give it to her when we were putting on sunscreen! Because of her allergies to artificial food dyes, I have to get her gravol prepared from the compounding pharmacy, and the type that they made up for her has to be refrigerated. It worked well on the airplane ride, but it sure didn't do her any good when she was on the boat and the gravol was in a lunch bag in the trunk of the rental car! So, Gavin had a fantastic time on the pirate cruise, and Annie sat at the back of the boat the whole time feeling awful.

DSC09450.JPG

Finally, we returned to shore and Annie started to feel better. We were ready for lunch, and I was hoping that I could cheer Annie up with some Sushi and all-natural shave ice.

This is a great report, @Rubygoose ! I know I'm a little late to this party, but I'm hoping maybe we can connect. We're planning a trip to Aulani with a stop at DL on the way (fellow Canadians!) and my daughter has multiple severe food allergies. I would love to pick your brain! We've only done WDW and Disney cruising with the allergies.

I am just seeing this report too! I love it. It looks like you had such a wonderful time. We are from Victoria too, have multiple severe food allergies, in Girl Guides, and headed to Aulani in October! What a small world. I never though of the trip as island hopping either - I'll have to mention that to my husband. We're seasoned Disneyland, WDW, and DCL experts, though this will be our first trip to Aulani. Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter