Trip Report - OKW/VB/SSR (PHOTOS are Up!)

starbox

"There is more treasure in books than in all the p
This was our first trip as DVC members, and our first time staying at all three resorts. We don't spend much vacation time in the rooms, so for now at least we are staying in studios. I was pleased with EVERY resort.

Part One - OKW and VB

Our first stop was OKW. We arrived on Sunday around 2:00. The line to check in was all the way back to the door and all the check-in stations were occupied! It's clearly a very popular resort! The grounds were beautiful and everything was much smaller than I imagined it would be. Checked in without a problem (but no "welcome home" from the CM) Our room was not ready, so we were given a card to call. Took the kids to the community hall and they made little bears while we ate, then we ate at Goods to Go. The food was good, but it was so HOT outside that we ate in little the bar area. I think it would be nice to have an air-conditioned area with the counter-service. There were some off-duty CMs at the bar drinking and they were complaining about people on the DDP! I think the servers at Olivias are ticked-off about the plan. Around 4 the room was ready. It was HUGE, very clean and beautiful. We were impressed. :) We kept saying how happy we were to join the DVC. We took a bus to EPCOT for dinner and then did extra magic hours at MK. We only use Disney Transportation, so we are used to the system and it does not bother us. Day two we started at AK and then ended up at MGM. Day three we were at the MK all day.

Other than the initial bus to EPCOT (which arrived right away) the bus system seemed a little inefficient. The resort was packed and we waited at least 20 minutes for every bus. The last night at MK was the worst - every other bus stop had two busses come by before the first OKW bus got there. I'm not sure what the problem was. :confused3

Day Four we drove to Vero Beach. I bought DVC and planned my points with the intention to spend a week at HH every summer (since it's a shorter drive), but I have to say it will be really hard to not just drive to Vero for our beach time. We loved this resort. It was very laid-back and casual - much more so than I expected (I had in mind that it would be more fancy/snobby for some reason). I grew up in Florida and this resort just felt very much like "home" to me. We arrived at 12:00 and our room was ready. :) We were in an Inn room, which I loved and would probably do again instead of the studio. Our room was right next to the laundry room, but we did not hear any noise.

The first day we ate lunch at the Green Cabin Room (food was fine, but not great - service and the view were EXCELLENT). Then, we went to the ocean and the kids played in the surf and pool (we put a trash bag over DD's broken arm and just did not let her go totally under water). The pool was actually hot, but the water slide was really fun :thumbsup2 . Because DD7 could not really get in the pool, the CMs worked her in and let her go to the unbirthday party. All the CMs at VB were fabulous - super-friendly and helpful. That evening, we put the kids in the Discovery Program and DH and I went to dinner at Shutters (Sonya's was closed). Again the food was okay but the view and service were EXCELLENT. We agree that if we stay longer we will venture out to eat most of the time, and use the on-site restaurants once or twice. We picked up the kids and attended the campfire, which was so much fun (glad I packed the Cutter Advanced because the NoSEEUms were OUT!) Then, we went for a family walk along the beach and ran into some people observing a sea turtle laying a nest of eggs. They had night vision goggles and they let us all take a peek. It was so cool!

The next morning we surprised the kids with room-service - Mickey Pancakes. They wanted to go to the beach again, so we went down one last time and then headed off to SSR. As we were leaving, one of the CMs gave them each a special Vero Beach pin. It was a wonderful trip and I can't wait to go back. If I ever have a hard time getting summer ressies there, I'll add-on points in a heartbeat.

Can't wait to read more!!!

Part Two - SSR

We own at SSR, but had not stayed there. To be honest, when we toured the property years ago there was very little there and what was there was not impressive. We bought mostly for the location and extra contract years, but after reading all the nasty things people have to say about SSR being substandard (and after two great stays at OKW and VB), I was prepared to be disappointed.

Instead, I was incredibly impressed by everything about SSR. I am sure I'll try out WLV, BWV and BCV at least once, but I'm pretty confident SSR will be my all-time favorite. :love:

We arrived at 1:00. There was no wait to check-in and our room was ready. The CM at check-in was so nice, she found out we were celebrating DS's birthday and offered to send a balloon arrangement and card from his favorite character to the room. I loved the detailing in the lobby - especially the framed "famous Disney horses" in the kid's area. Very, very clever. I asked to be as close to the walking path to DTD as possible and we got a room in Congress Park. I made a point to walk everywhere and WOW :sunny: , the landscaping and attention to detail was incredible. It seemed like there was a little seating area or fountain tucked around every corner. The quiet pool and playground that overlooks DTD in Congress Park was incredible. We even took the stairs up to our room instead of the elevator just to see the "horror" of the hallways and I was impressed by the windows at each landing. They had clearly been designed and placed specifically to act as "frames" for the view (I'll post pictures).

Our room was beautiful and housekeeping had done a great job with all the "little" touches, like cleverly folded towels. We had a hard time opening the door with the room key and I told DH he needed to report it and within 10 minutes a technician was there to fix the reader on the door.

We had lunch at Artists Palatte and once again I was impressed by the details - LOVED the little easels on the tables so the kids could draw. My kids were in heaven. The food was the best CS meal we've had on Disney property - even better than Pepper Market in my opinion. We went to the pool and stayed there for about an hour - mid-afternoon. It was busy but not crowded. The pool is amazing. Earlier in the week we let my son pool hop at the POLY before dinner at Ohana and the SSR pool just puts that pool to shame. I :love: the zero-depth entry, the slide was amazing, and it was just so beautiful. It was really neat that they had games in and around the pool, we played Bingo at the pool and it was lots of fun :thumbsup2 .

We walked to DTD along the path to go to the block party (where I met Diane from the boards and she and her family were so nice!). Then we walked back and met my BIL and his girlfriend for dinner at the Turf Club. (BIL was at Disney staying off-site and he was very, very, very impressed by SSR). Loved the atmosphere at the Turf Club, it is very elegant and classy. SSR reminded me of our favorite Ritz Carlton resort: The Reynolds Plantation. I got the pasta which was okay but nothing amazing, but DH had the steak topped with bleu cheese and portabello mushrooms and it was delicious - some of the best steak I've tasted at Disney and on par with Le Cellier. We took the boat back to DTD to do Pleasure Island and then took a bus back to the resort. We did not wait more than 5 minutes for either mode of transportation.

My kids and Dh all say that SSR is their favorite resort so far. It's know it's mine. It was quiet, elegant, and very relaxing. :love: I only wish I could stay there in the fall so I could really enjoy the biking/walking paths just for leisure.

trying to get these pictures to work.

GreatTR! I am glad you had such a great time and I can't wait to see the pics. Just a quick question though ... how long was the drive to VB?

starbox said:
I bought DVC and planned my points with the intention to spend a week at HH every summer (since it's a shorter drive), but I have to say it will be really hard to not just drive to Vero for our beach time. We loved this resort. It was very laid-back and casual - much more so than I expected (I had in mind that it would be more fancy/snobby for some reason).

We were in an Inn room, which I loved and would probably do again instead of the studio. Our room was right next to the laundry room, but we did not hear any noise.

All the CMs at VB were fabulous - super-friendly and helpful.

QUOTE]

I see you caught the VB fever!!! :rotfl2: Same thing happened to us!

He I have had that room! At first I was bummed but in the end it was perfect... laundry etc..

And BTW... The CM's (IMHO) are the BEST..... I know Iknow I have said this before! ;)

I loved reading about your vacation! Thank you for posting.

Bobbi :thumbsup2

mikayla73 said:
Just a quick question though ... how long was the drive to VB?

It was almost exactly 2 hours from OKW. It would be about 9 hours (yikes) from GA (versus the 4.5 hours to HH), so I think we'll always break up the VB trip with at least one day at WDW on the way there and back.

starbox said:
It was almost exactly 2 hours from OKW. It would be about 9 hours (yikes) from GA (versus the 4.5 hours to HH), so I think we'll always break up the VB trip with at least one day at WDW on the way there and back.
That's not bad at all! Thanks! :goodvibes

woo- hoo, I figured out pictures (should have SSR up by tonight):
The pirate boat play area at VB:
13799966.daab2d.jpg

Garden Inn Room View - 4th Floor
13799967.c527e2.jpg

Kitchenette in the Inn Room
13799968.79d6a9.jpg

Seating Area
13799969.2af8c6.jpg

Vero Beach
13799971.b8f926.jpg

Beds
13799972.b83448.jpg

The Inn
13800091.039918.jpg

The Beach Rentals House
13800089.7c7bf8.jpg

Interior of the Inn's Main Room/Lobby Vaulted Ceiling
13800088.80df3a.jpg

We loved Vero Beach and the above phots capture why. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

First SSR Photos (the rest will come later tonight)

Beautiful View from Registration Area
13800092.ea1712.jpg

Carousel Room Lobby
13800144.d30719.jpg

Life-size Sculpture Outside Lobby
13800087.b9ecd4.jpg

Overlooking the Incredible Pool
13800145.661ed1.jpg

Found a Few More VB before the rest of the SSR:

This is one of the cottages:
13803413.39288b.jpg

The Outside of Shutters Restaurant
13803414.ff6d89.jpg

Campfire was WONDERFUL!
13803415.f9c082.jpg

View from the outside seating at the Green Cabin Room restaurant:
13803419.3c695d.jpg

Even the elevator was beautiful with etched glass sea turtles!
13803421.89d1f5.jpg

Mickey Pancakes from Room Service!
13803417.cfdcf4.jpg

I don't think VB gets enough praise. It's such a friendly, relaxing, beautiful, laid-back little resort. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter