Trip Report? Or not?

SLK1

DIS Veteran
We leave in a few weeks :cheer2: and I'm just wondering about trip reports. I have found them to be incredibly useful these last million months while anticipating our trip (Viva Italia June 11). Are they difficult to do? Do you just take notes in a journal and then enter that information when you get home? Do people bring laptops with them to Italy? Do you just log in on the DIS and start typing away? Maybe it's just not all that complicated and I'm over-thinking it. And, do people really care? I know I did, but that doesn't mean people feel the same. Any thoughts?:confused3

I love to read them! It's worth posting for those of us who love them. Those who don't care, won't click.

I've found that if I want to put a lot of text on the Dis, it helps me to type it up in Word first, then cut and paste.

Maybe SayHello will comment. Her SWS report is awesome.

As one who's doing the Viva Italia tour at the end of September, I'd love to read your trip report!! I began writing my trip reports [quite] a number of years ago. I got tired of repeatedly telling people about my vacations, so I wrote it up so I could just say "Here, read it!" But I've never posted them on any boards. In the beginning I used to write it all from memory after I got home, but then I started carrying a laptop along. This definately made it easier as I would at least outline the day's activities before retiring at night. If time allowed, I could even write out sections, and I could also write while waiting the airport for the return flight home (or even on the plane). The laptop also allows me to dump pictures from digital camera on a nightly basis. I came home from a week's trip to Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea with over 1200 pictures!! Don't know if this was helpful or not, but thanks for letting me ramble! LOL

Chiming in! :thumbsup2

Personally, I work on a computer all day at work, so there is NO WAY in creation that I'm shlepping a laptop on vacation with me. Just not happening. So that method is out for me. I do my reports after I've gotten home. It gives me a chance to sort through the fifty billion pictures I've taken, and weed out the best to post...

I normally do my trip reports from memory. I take *SO* many pictures that it pretty much reminds me of everything we did during the trip. I also like to take "establishing shots", ie, pictures of signs, buildings, etc, that will tell me where we were. ("Welcome to..." signs, the marquee's on the side of hotels, restaurant menus, etc). I will also keep any maps, guide books, receipts, etc, at least until after I do the reports. So far, this has worked for me. I'm just not organized enough to write in a journal each night. (Plus, I'm such a bad procrastinator, I'd probably put it off so far, I'd be home by the time I updated it! :confused3 )

ABSOLUTELY do a Trip Report! I cannot tell you how many people have thanked me for doing mine, because it either helped them prepare for the trip, helped them keep the excitement up, allowed them to re-live their trips, or even helped them decide to sign up for the trip themselves. Sharing my report & pictures is a big part of the fun of a vacation for me. I really enjoy reading other people's reports, whether I have any intentions of taking that particular tour or not!

(Oh, and I agree with kristilew, I do mine in Word first, and then transfer it to DIS. This is safer, plus it makes it easier to chop it into pieces if it ends up too long for one post.)

And thanks for the compliment, kristilew!!! :flower3:

Sayhello

if you don't want to do a full blown report -I am happy with whatever bones you want to throw me:)

A few pictures and comments about the highlights or a few tips- I enjoy anything people want to share.

we have also started taking the "establishing shots" of entrance signs, etc. It really helps.

I did my last TR on a shutterfly site, which allowed me to post pictures and text. I basically just put the pix in order for each day, then explained what you are seeing. It was pretty lengthy. When I ordered a photo book, I kept the text, but culled the pictures and ended up with a good representation of our trip. Next time I think I would do the book first, then post it as a "share." That way, there wouldn't be soooo many pictures to wade through.

I know I personally love reading trip reports! When we did Southwest Splendors last year, the trip reports that I found online were really helpful in packing and preparing for the trip. Also, the kids, DH and I got excited about the trip from reading about the excursions and sights we were going to see. It also helped us plan out in advance which excursions we wanted to take when we were given a choice. There were some really great trip reports out there--(thanks "Sayhello"! We especially enjoyed reading yours!).

I think any type of trip report that you would like to put out there will be appreciated by your fellow travellers.

Turtlemom :surfweb:

P.S. If anyone knows of a good trip report for Quest for the West--I'd love to read it! That's our next adventure coming up.
Turtlemom :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter