Trip that almost wasn't..Myrtle Beach

Sleepy

<font color=royalblue>I'll have to remember that o
Cast:

me, age 31...Theme park lover
DH, age 37...not acting the usual theme park lover
DS, age 9.....glad to be on vacation at all

Day 1, Sat July 21...Myrtle Beach, SC bound

Originally we were planning to start our vacation On Tuesday July 24, but with the ship's schedule changing, we had several extra days to either relax at home before the trip from VA to FL or we could spend extra money. DH decided he was ready for a vacation and wanted to leave this Navy town as soon as possible. He was scheduled to get off duty at 7am so he said be ready to pack the truck when he got home. That was fine by me, but when he got home, I woke with a migraine. Looks like bed for me for a while. I gave myself a shot and went to sleep. Woke up a few hours later and we had so much stuff to do like make sure the cat had all the stuff he needed for his stay with my parents, etc. All the in-town rushing around for last minute stuff took till about 1pm and we were off. DH decided to visit my aunt and cousins in SC, so off to Myrtle Beach we go. The drive there was not bad. I called my aunt to find out where she lives and we got lost. Turns out we were almost out of Myrtle Beach all together. We were on Business hwy instead of main hwy. Turn around and get on the main strip. We live near Va Beach and I kept telling my DH that Myrtle Beach is nothing like the beach at home. He had no idea for what was in store. It was about 10:30pm on a Sat and all the hotels on the beach had no vacancies. Traffic was a nighmare. We found a hotel called the Apache, which was close to the end of the strip. 3 night minimum stay at $99 a night. This was not bad. The room was clean and had a stove, fridge and microwave. All of which were clean. We unpacked the truck and went in search for food. We were tired from the drive and hubby was irritated beyond anything I had ever seen. He said he wanted to go back home. YIKES! I warned him of Myrtle Beach...and this was not even in the main drag portion of the strip. The guy in the office of hotel told us of a nice restaurant down the street within walking distance. We found it but it was more sit down with ribs and other fare. We were looking for quick burger fries for this meal. We got in the truck and went in search of something else. Dh, irritated still, demanded to know where to eat dinner. I told him anywhere quick. He decided on Shoney's. What a mistake. Only 1 cook and a restaurant full of people. Our waiter was I think French. Communication was not easy. Found out there was only 1 cook after waiting over 40 minutes for burger and fries. DH even more irritated. We got back to hotel only to find no parking spaces available other than the 2 office spaces. We went in the office to ask where to park and he said around to the back of the hotel. We drove to where he directed us and it was in an alley behind the hotel.....NO WAY! I was not parking my vehicle parallel style against the back of the hotel so that it can be vandalized. I told DH he could go back to office and tell them to give us a refund. The office said we could park in the office parking space. We got in the room and DH decided to step outside for a cigarette. Yelled at me a few minutes later to come outside. Said a girl was walking down the street with no shirt on. I said this was what I was talking about. Even the tv says nudity can be found after 3pm even though it is not a designated nudity beach, beware after 3pm. We went to bed and boy, is the mattress hard and uncomfortable.

Day 2, Sun July 22...Myrtle Beach.

Woke up around 10am. I needed a swim suit so we took showers and were out by noon. DH still not in a good mood and we went through the spill about where to eat again :rolleyes: . I said Arbys is fine. Next door was a beach store with tons of varieties of swim suits so it was ok by me. I found a nice swim suit for $65, back to hotel to wash it and off to the beach we went. Spent about 3 hours walking the beach and soon it was 4pm and time for us to get ready to see my aunt and cousins. Was glad to see my aunt and met one of my cousins and his 6 year old daughter ( I had never seen). Was nice talking about old stuff. My other cousin was on one of the piers where a local band was playing. We decided to meet them there. I met her younger daughter which I had not seen since she was a year old. We had a nice night and went to a local pancake house around 1am for some food. I was driving the directions my cousin gave us, but DH told me I was going wrong way, so it took us almost 30 minutes for a 10 minute drive. Turns out I was going the right direction to begin with, but DH seems he knows more than I do. All I could do was laugh it off. We went in the restaurant and my cousins were already seated. Hubby went to the table and I just passed the table, tossing my keys on it and said I would be in the bathroom. I saw my younger cousin at the table and a girl sitting beside her, but I was in such a big hurry I thought she was her friend from the pier. I zoomed to the bathroom and came back to the table. The girl I thought was my cousin's friend turned out to be her older sister. She looked at me and said "Gee, I stood up to hug you and you just walked past me". I felt so small. I had not seen her since she was 8 years old and she looked nothing like she did as a child. Was nice talking to them. We got to the room by 2am and I died.

Day 3, Monday July 23...Myrtle Beach/Ripley's Aquarium

We got up at 10am and immediately realized I was not going to have a good day with my allergies. We met my cousins at noon for lunch. We ate at a really great pizza place with a buffet like you wouldn't believe. They had all kinds of pizzas...some with pickles and some like desserts. There was salad bar and spaghetti. Even a sandwich bar where you could have something as simple as a PB&J. After that, we went back to their warehouse and decided to take the younger cousin to the Ripleys Aquarium with us. The older sister had to work that day :( . It was hot this day, but was raining. We stopped by the Rard Rock Cafe and got a t-shirt for DS (he collects them from all over the world) and DH got a hat. We did not eat here, but the building was neat. Had the Egyptian theme to it. We went over to the Aquarium and stood in a line a mile long. We got discounted tickets being military, and I think for 3 adults and 1 child it was $42. They have a nice set up here. A long underwater glass attraction where you can see sharks and other fish. It's on a moving conveyor so everyone has the opportunity to see upclose (much like on Jaws 3D). They have a pool where you can touch stingrays and a few more to touch other sea creatures. Many tanks of salt fish for viewing. It was pretty cool looking at all these fish I work with in a more natural environment and with a much larger body size. People kept looking at me funny wondering how I knew so much about these different kinds of fish before the labels were visible. For the most part, I think this aquarium is nice to see if you don't do SeaWorld in Orlando. We took my cousin back to her parents warehouse where they were ready to go to an auction (side business). We helped them get the auction done and went at 9:30pm for dinner at Outback. The waitress was nice and the food was good. It is still raining outside, but we make a dash to the cars and go back to our hotel. Next day is off to Hard Rock Hotel.

Great report! Sorry to hear about your allergies though. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter