Trip to FW next month....7 people in cabin??...please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozinante

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. I'm not trying to stir up controversy or subvert the rules....I need genuine advice.

We are a family of 6 who booked a Free Dining pkg for next month for the Ft Wilderness cabins.

However, we just found out that we will be having another child live with us for a while, which puts us in a very awkward situation.

I called Disney to see what our options are, and after a very lengthy phone call, with our CM talking to different departments, he told us that they can't come up with a reasonable solution. He told us that "they" (who is "they"?) said the only thing we can do is add our new child as a day guest at the front desk, buy him park tickets, and pay for his food. To try to clarify, I asked if 7 people will fit in a cabin, to which he replied that they can't legally book more than 6 to a cabin.

Hmm. I am a rule follower, so I want to make sure I'm doing what is allowed. I know that the rooms state they are only for 6 people (fire code and all). But it sounds to me like this very helpful CM (and whoever "they" are) gave me unofficial permission to add the extra child? He had my reservation number, the child's name and age....perhaps a note was put on my reservation to allow this one time variance? Maybe because we are going at a low attendance time? Or maybe because DW has a heart and sees the predicament we are in?

HOWEVER, I do not want to travel all the way to DW and get in trouble or get kicked out if I'm assuming way too much. So, I don't know what to do!

These are the options that I see:

1) Keep fingers crossed that my assumptions are correct and head to DW with everyone.

2) Cancel the trip entirely (I have 2 more days to do this without penalty).

3) Continue with our own plans, tell the new child "sorry" and send him to a friend's house for 10 days. (Child will know this person, but not on a personal level.)

4) Book a campsite for one?? I just checked- there are still campsites available. If I'm allowed to change the name on reservations, maybe I could "move" my hubby to a campsite reservation for one, then move the child to my reservation with the rest of the kids. This way, we'd all have a legal right to be there overnight....we just wouldn't be sleeping at the campsite....but we would still be illegally over capacity in the cabin. This would be a little more expensive than going the day guest route, but at least my conscious would be semi-allayed.

I'm not really advanced with all the DW rules, but it seems my Free Dining pkg is what is causing the problems. I'm thinking it can't be transferred to other resorts?

Ugh. I don't know what to do- please help me.

p.s. Mods: I realize this post might be controversial, so if it's causing problems, feel free to delete.

Since you don't seem to be trying to break the rules which is good I would call again to clarify the information. On a side note not sure how you would sleep 7 with the bed situation.

What about swapping a cabin for 2 value/moderate rooms? Maybe they will do this and let you have the free dining.

This would be my first thought as well.

I'm not sure what different combinations the CM tried- he was muttering on the phone as he was going thru the different resorts, but I'm assuming that this was something he tried. I also heard him say something about a villa. But he put me on hold and talked to different people, and came back with the half-solution that I listed in my post.

First, I seriously doubt "they" would kick you out. That is so un-Disney. They wouldn't be able to get money from you that way, so it probably won't happen.

I'm not trying to help you subvert any rules either, but there isn't anything against purchasing a separate ticket for the additional child outside your existing reservation. People come all the time without a resort reservation on their own ticket. You already know you'll have to pay out of pocket for meals. No one counts heads when you come in and out of the Fort or when you walk into a cabin. If you didn't bring it up and don't flaunt it at check in, I don't know how they would know how many kids you had.

As for comfort, I think you would be more comfortable getting 2 rooms at a Value, if they are available and then the extra child could be on the dining plan with the rest of you.

j

Have fun!

Thanks for your perspective. We are swinging wildly between just cancelling altogether, to just going and crossing our fingers. I might try another phone call, too, just to make sure that he did try the double Value Resort rooms. Since I didn't ask every option he considered, it's possible this was overlooked, though I suspect not likely.

^ What she said. Don't stress over this too much. I would bring an air mattress without much hesitation.

Remember we can't suggest people break WDW rules. Are any of the children under 3?

When my kids were little (I have 2 sets of twins) but they were all considered adults by disney, the cabins were the best deal with free dining. It was one place we could all stay and get the table service dining free. The Animation Suites were considered Value so they only counted for the free counter service.

The cabins are great but there is only 1 bathroom. That is the kicker!

The back room has a full bed and a set of bunk beds. My husband and I slept on the full bed (and survived) but I was always the one right by the wall. You have to either scoot down or crawl over the other person to get up. After a week I was over that!

I would second looking at two value rooms. Plus, your parking would be cheaper. The cabins are $19/night to park. Plus, you would two bathrooms and 4 beds.

Thank you all for your perspectives. We're going to have a family meeting to decide how to proceed. I really appreciate everyone's input!

I hope it all works out. Please let us know.

The OP has requested to close this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter