*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Love this new thread! Especially my lurking husband...

Heather, tell hubs we don't bite. If he wants to do the trailer/Fort thing in the future, tell him to jump in the pool with rest of us.

I am calling him out (in a nice way). :rolleyes1

Does hubs have a name?

Bama Ed

Okay mine has Westlake brand. So far no problem. I try to tow steady around 70. Not counting up and downs. Normally only tow 60 miles to the Gulf. But this year we are planning two trips to the Fort at 500 miles each way.

Pictures??? You didn't say to post pictures. All I can say is, you started it.

Here is my TT I had before my current 5er. The tow vehicle was a little under powered so I bought my first diesel. This pic was from 2001. That's my DS who will be 18 in a few weeks.

DCP_2653.jpg

FW1400.jpg

1400 Loop- 2005. That's my 2002 F250 and my current 5er straight ahead.

IMG_0696.jpg

2008 in Loop 200 with my hated 2008 and the same 5er.

IMG_20110528_151422.jpg

2011 with my current 2011 F350 in the 100 loop and still the same 5er.

20131012_121301.jpg

The race team toy hauler with my F350 at Heartland Park Topeka- 2014

20140427_090616.jpg

Both race team haulers at MidAmerica Motorplex outside Omaha

j

Very cool progression.

Here is my lashup (since we're doin' pix and all):

I put in a customized whatchamacallit and the trailer has a one-of-a-kind thingamabob. :teacher: :rotfl:

My 2005 Suburban 1500 LT (180k miles) is my daily commuter vehicle and I get 18 on the highway and 15 in the city and 15 towing at 65mph.

In particular I love making the drive between Lake City and the Turnpike on I75 to/from WDW. I rubberneck in both directions at all the trailers, RV's, and tow vehicles (and even towed vehicles). :drive:

Nice setup. Aliners are pretty darn cool.

Last edited:

Hey this is my kind of thread!

I have a 2008 Ford F-450 crewcab 4x4.
Mods- S&B cold air intake, Spartan DashDaq Tuner, def delete. MBRP full 3" intake pipe, 93 gallon Aux tank/tool box combo. B&W turn over ball with companion fifthwheel. I run the truck on the mild 210 tune, best guess is around 500 to 550 horsepower and around 1200 ft lb of torque. It has a 4.88 gear so around 85 mph is all I'll push it.
Around town it's gets 14.5 mpg, highway 17 mpg. And towing the 5er it's close to 11.5, I tow around 75 mph on cruise. Before I tuned and did the delete it got around 12 mpg on the highway, 9 mpg in the city and 10 mpg towing. My DW calls it the Beast.
20150211_174407_zpsgntql0qp.jpg

My Prior truck was a 2002 F-250 4x4 with the 7.3 Powerstroke, I loved that truck, it 275, 000 miles when I traded it in on this truck, the motor it in was strong but the rest of the truck was getting some age on it. It handle our old 28 ft 5er good, but I didn't feel good hooking up to a 14,000 lb 43 ft 5er and striking out with it.

They were talking about this on the other thread, but I wanted to add it on here...
Diesel fuel prices. I buy my fuel across the stateline from my house in the great state of Mississippi (Tiggerdad's stomping ground) it's cheaper there, just checked my Gas Buddy app, It's 1.79 for Diesel. Good for folks traveling and the truckers and farmers but bad for us working in the oilfield.

Awesome rig. I have the same hitch setup and love it. Best in the industry in my opinion.

Don't get me started on trailer tires,... I've had 3 of the original tires develop big knots on the side wall.
20150514_192340_zpspo5vae3k.jpg

20150514_192310_zpssiwgpvip.jpg

The dealer warranty cover the first the other two were outside the one year warranty. I looked on some camper forums and did some research. Having a pretty heavy 5er, I went with the Goodyear G614's a heavy duty LT tire. They are "G" rated I believe. 75 mph rated. They're not cheap at $350 a tire. But I seen where alot of people are having problems with the Marathons, I read where the Maxxis made a pretty good trailer tire.

Randy, tiggerdad will back me on this but...

When we both were at GSP this past summer, he and the family came by to visit and came in the Aliner. IIRC it was him, MrsT, DD, and a Dear Niece.

MrsT said, "i like this" in reference to the Aliner. MrT saw his future flash before his eyes.

A smaller, lighter trailer.

Better mpg towing.

Fitting into more campgrounds - even in National Parks.

No more trailer payments.

He was as shocked as i was. The bonus was the youngsters liked it too. It was "cute". So he may move up in the future but he has dreams of moving down.

An Aliner is for 2-3 people. Best for 2. I am approaching that time of life. I look forward to hitting the "sweet spot".

Bama Ed

Last edited:
That A-liner is one of the best engineering for room and lightweight that I think I have seen in a camper. AND, it has a heat pump!

Stacey is now wanting to move up to a 5th wheel and I keep reminding her of this visit with Ed and his A-Liner. She won't comment...

Don't get me started on trailer tires,... I've had 3 of the original tires develop big knots on the side wall.
20150514_192340_zpspo5vae3k.jpg

20150514_192310_zpssiwgpvip.jpg

The dealer warranty cover the first the other two were outside the one year warranty. I looked on some camper forums and did some research. Having a pretty heavy 5er, I went with the Goodyear G614's a heavy duty LT tire. They are "G" rated I believe. 75 mph rated. They're not cheap at $350 a tire. But I seen where alot of people are having problems with the Marathons, I read where the Maxxis made a pretty good trailer tire.

That's ugly. The G614's would've been nice, but my wheels are only rated at 80psi

So I am sitting here watching Bama turn the screws on Florida and during one of the interminable CBS commercial timeouts, Ford featured their new option for the 2016 F-150, the towing backup assist.

<sputter> <SPIT> WTH is this?

The last few years car makers have developed the ability for a CAR to parallel park itself with the driver taking their hands off the wheel for the event.

But a truck? With a trailer? Like it would back into a campsite by itself perfectly the first time?

Wut? I don't believe it.

OK so I believe it.

That could mean no more watching other people back into their campsite for cheap entertainment.

And no more using my backin gif's.

What's this world coming to? :confused3

Bama Ed

You turn the knob on the dash the direction you want to go, is what I read in Trailer Life. They used to call that a steering wheel. :yo-yo:

Yeah they don't tell you about the fancy little do hickey thing that you have to buy and mount to the trailer tongue, so the camera can tell where the trailer is at.

I seen where the 2017 Super Duty has 7 yup I said 7 cameras, at some point the words "over kill" come to mind. What well they think of next?

Funny Ed, I didn't hear Eli Gold mention this on the radio.

Uuhhh...

Lets see:
A truck, call it K.I.T.T. for instance, is gonna do the backing for me?
I suppose it will also be bulletproof, have turbo boost, two television screens, and talk in really unmanly voice.

KNIGHT-RIDER-3D-RUI-XARUTO.gif
Insurance companies won't pay for damages as it is, you think they gonna pay when you say "The truck did it"?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!