*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

What's the matter with you PaHunter ... that's not yellow, it's sunshine

Sorry, still sleepy. Covered a lot of miles in the past couple of days. DW did assist going out with the old truck, and I am very glad for that. But she is not yet licensed to drive the new one, needs some training first, but we will get her there. So I did all the return trip driving.

currently rated at 435HP

Currently= (not for long) ::yes::

Good looking truck, ready to see it down at GSP next month. What's the mileage and what rearends are under it? I have a 550 Cummins 1850 torque with 3:55s, I run about 1550 rpm at 71 on cruise, bobtail around 9.8 or so same with the camper but loaded with the big trailer I'm getting around 5 mpg but thats a ol square long hood truck! And diesel in the sunshine state is running about $3.25 and up at all the big name truckstops. I paid $3.29 last week at the TA at I75 and I4. Ready to see what kinda set up for a fifthwheel your gonna run, keep us posted!

Currently= (not for long) ::yes::

Good looking truck, ready to see it down at GSP next month. What's the mileage and what rearends are under it? I have a 550 Cummins 1850 torque with 3:55s, I run about 1550 rpm at 71 on cruise, bobtail around 9.8 or so same with the camper but loaded with the big trailer I'm getting around 5 mpg but thats a ol square long hood truck! And diesel in the sunshine state is running about $3.25 and up at all the big name truckstops. I paid $3.29 last week at the TA at I75 and I4. Ready to see what kinda set up for a fifthwheel your gonna run, keep us posted!

Actually Randy, the Engine was originally set at 475 when we purchased it, we had it derated one level. The rear end is 3.25, I was getting about 9.7 to 9.9 bobtail back home but the winds were around 20mph.

I'm surprised PaHunter at the gas mileage ... I would have thought the big rigs would have done better.

I'm surprised PaHunter at the gas mileage ... I would have thought the big rigs would have done better.

Well, first it has to punch a big hole in the air. And second, they are not exactly light, my curb weight is about 17k, and that is just a guess for now, as I need to run it across the scale yet. The big plus is that with the trailer behind the truck, it really won't know it is back there, so there should be little to no drop off in mpg.
And when towing with our one ton truck we averaged about 10mpg with the same trailer.

PaHunter, looks like that truck has enough room in the cab to be an RV all by itself. Probably more than most van conversions.

Anyway, nice upgraded from that little truck you started this thread with:duck:

I like the yellow. Look at this way, it'll be way easier to keep clean rather than if it was all black :scared:

PaHunter, looks like that truck has enough room in the cab to be an RV all by itself. Probably more than most van conversions.

Anyway, nice upgraded from that little truck you started this thread with:duck:

The cab is big enough to be it's own RV. There is a workstation (table), it converts to a 2nd bed. There is an upper bunk in our unit. It has a shore power connection. It doesn't have a fridge, Volvo does make one, but they are expensive. The last owner had a dorm fridge mounted in a cabinet behind the passenger seat. Behind the driver seat is a cabinet with 3 shelves, 2 drawers, and an upper cabinet that could house a tv. Behind the passenger seat is where the old fridge was, also has a clothes bar in that cabinet. There is a small storage space under that and a space above for a microwave. There is a lot of small storage up above the windshield.

The cab is big enough to be it's own RV. There is a workstation (table), it converts to a 2nd bed. There is an upper bunk in our unit. It has a shore power connection. It doesn't have a fridge, Volvo does make one, but they are expensive. The last owner had a dorm fridge mounted in a cabinet behind the passenger seat. Behind the driver seat is a cabinet with 3 shelves, 2 drawers, and an upper cabinet that could house a tv. Behind the passenger seat is where the old fridge was, also has a clothes bar in that cabinet. There is a small storage space under that and a space above for a microwave. There is a lot of small storage up above the windshield.
Rental Income! :)

Anybody have an opinion on a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Crew Cab, 2WD with the 5.7L gas engine? It has 23k miles. I have an appointment to see one this weekend. We have a 2017 Keystone Passport 2890RL with an empty weight of 5500 lb. I currently pull it with my 2000 Ram 1500 that just rolled to 224k on the way to work this morning. It does OK pulling it, but I know I'm getting close to my 7700lb capacity. The mileage on the 2014 is listed at 11/16. Any guesses on how much it will drop towing? My 1500 gets about 13 and drops to about 7 towing. I have to stop for gas 4 times between Birmingham and The Fort; every 140 miles, whether I need to pee or not. The catch is the truck is in Baltimore, and they can't transfer it before our trip to The Fort in 2 1/2 weeks. Right now, my most economical option is the take the train from Birmingham Friday afternoon and get to Baltimore midday Saturday. Then drive it home if it looks OK. If not, I come up with plan B to get back home. Any thought are appreciated.
-Dave

dalir, no opinion, good or bad, concerning the Dodge 2500 other than, if you pull your current rig with a 1500, the 2500 will do the job with room to spare. You will probably get about the same no load mileage and your towing mileage might increase. I doubt the towing mileage will be lower than your 1500.

Anybody have an opinion on a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Crew Cab, 2WD with the 5.7L gas engine?
-Dave

I too have no comments on the specific truck. My only comment is to the general notion of forward planning! If you know your camper is the one you want for many years - go for it! I don't know your history and background with campers. If it is extensive - you don't need to worry about this post! If you are new to it, however, many get the upgrade bug, and end up wanting to move to a larger unit. I'd hate to see you spend the money on a new truck, only to wish in 12 months you'd gotten something more capable. Just putting out out there, 'in case.'

Anybody have an opinion on a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Crew Cab, 2WD with the 5.7L gas engine? It has 23k miles. I have an appointment to see one this weekend. We have a 2017 Keystone Passport 2890RL with an empty weight of 5500 lb. I currently pull it with my 2000 Ram 1500 that just rolled to 224k on the way to work this morning. It does OK pulling it, but I know I'm getting close to my 7700lb capacity. The mileage on the 2014 is listed at 11/16. Any guesses on how much it will drop towing? My 1500 gets about 13 and drops to about 7 towing. I have to stop for gas 4 times between Birmingham and The Fort; every 140 miles, whether I need to pee or not. The catch is the truck is in Baltimore, and they can't transfer it before our trip to The Fort in 2 1/2 weeks. Right now, my most economical option is the take the train from Birmingham Friday afternoon and get to Baltimore midday Saturday. Then drive it home if it looks OK. If not, I come up with plan B to get back home. Any thought are appreciated.
-Dave

My only input to this is, the 2500 would still be a gas truck, so don't expect a big jump in mileage towing. Gas engines just to not make the torque that a diesel does. Torque equals towing power. HP equals speed.

I'll jump in here. The 2500 will out perform your old 1500 in almost every way except fuel mileage. The 2500 is newer (they have been raising the tow ratings every year), has much stronger transmission, brakes, suspension, radiator and frame. It was built to carry a load where the 1500 was built to carry an occasional piece of plywood or some mulch.

As for mileage, the 2500 weighs more than your 1500. The 5.7 is a good gas motor, but it's still a smaller gas motor. I'd expect around the same 7 mpg, but you shouldn't have the transmission hunting or staying in a lower gear (higher rpm and worse mpg). The race team briefly had a F250 gasser that we towed a single car trailer with a Mustang and some spares inside. It probably ran 8000lbs loaded. We got around 7 mpg.

If you don't mind the run to Baltimore (PAHunter just drove half way across the country for his truck) and it looks good on the internet, go for it.

j

Thank you @tripleb, @mickeyfan0805, @PaHunter, and @Teamubr. Your comments are appreciated. I have financing in place and have purchased my train ticket so I guess I'm going to at least go look. If I don't like it, I will have to come up with plan B to get back home.

DW hates the sound and smell of diesel so that has never really been an option. This seems to fit our needs pretty well. I've been driving the same truck for 18 1/2 years so I won't know how to act with all the new features, like not having to put a key in the door to unlock :). Again, thanks for taking time to reply. I'll post a picture if I get it.

Good luck with your endeavor dalir. Once you get there, if the owner does not have the original window sticker, get the VIN and go to the nearest Dodge place. They should be able to print out all the specifics of the truck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter