*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Just an FYI:

About 2 weeks after we got back from this year's GSP Dismeet I was driving home from work and suddenly my truck brought up a warning that there was a DEF system fault and that I had 50 miles before it was going to limit me to 50mph. I hooked it up and got code and discussed it with the diesel mechanic that I use and since it didn't indicate exactly where the fault was in the DEF system we decided to replace all of the DEF system.

Now, I did price a delete kit, which was about $300 more than keeping the truck stock. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to trade it in down the road without having to revert everything back to stock. So I decided to replace the DEF heater, pump, injector, and line. Parts cost about $1000, and with me helping him we got it replaced in just a few hours and $200 in labor.

Yesterday I came home from work to a letter from Ford Motor Company. Telling me that my truck was going to have the warranty extended on the DEF system due to premature faults, and that if this happened I should bring the truck to the dealer to have the DEF system replaced at no charge...

At least it did include a spot that if you had ALREADY had this fixed, you could take your receipts to a local dealer to get reimbursed for the parts. I'll let you guys know how this goes. So if any of you have the F-250 diesel and get or have gotten a DEF system fault you may want to look into seeing if this is covered. Mine is a 2012. It didn't state any particular year models that were being fixed, it just listed my specific VIN number.

Chevy did the same thing with their diesels.

I got the same letter. I had to replace a DEF injector last year... 3 months out of warranty. My letter said it was specifically the DEF heater. Let us know how it goes with the refund. I can guess what they will say. Since you can't prove it was the DEF heater and you replaced everything, they won't pay.

j

On my 2015 Ram the warnings popped up and they replaced the catalytic converter at 30k miles. Same error code at 55k and another new converter, sensors, and a few other parts. At 63k with same error, they called in the factory reps and re-did the computer. Good thing it was all under warranty.

I've seen people pulling campers that I thought the shouldn't with that particular tow vehicle. My son borrowed my 2500 today, so I thought maybe I should hook my Cougar up to my other truck. I'm not sure, I might need a few more spring leafs, and maybe a brake upgrade. In the fall I have towed 25,000lbs of corn out of the field for my father-in-law with the Dakota, my Cougar doesn't weigh that much. Not sure if I can get it up to cruising speed. The truck is a good runner with only 78,000 miles. Not much for a 2001. Might not quite be able to keep up with that Yellow Volvo though.
Dakota5.jpg

I've seen people pulling campers that I thought the shouldn't with that particular tow vehicle. My son borrowed my 2500 today, so I thought maybe I should hook my Cougar up to my other truck. I'm not sure, I might need a few more spring leafs, and maybe a brake upgrade. In the fall I have towed 25,000lbs of corn out of the field for my father-in-law with the Dakota, my Cougar doesn't weigh that much. Not sure if I can get it up to cruising speed. The truck is a good runner with only 78,000 miles. Not much for a 2001. Might not quite be able to keep up with that Yellow Volvo though.
View attachment 342140

It is never about getting a load going, it's about getting it to stop. They used a toyota tundra to pull the space shuttle thru LA, notice they did not use that tundra to bring the shuttle down Wolf Creek Pass.

I got the same letter. I had to replace a DEF injector last year... 3 months out of warranty. My letter said it was specifically the DEF heater. Let us know how it goes with the refund. I can guess what they will say. Since you can't prove it was the DEF heater and you replaced everything, they won't pay.

j

Was notified today that I'll get refund for the heater and the pump that I replaced. The warranty did not cover the line or injector which I also replaced just because I was already into the guts of the thing. At least it was something, somewhere are around $600 back.

Was notified today that I'll get refund for the heater and the pump that I replaced.
Same thing I was told. Mine was about $800, but I also had them replace the fan clutch while they had it. It went out a couple of weeks before the CEL for the injector, so I had them do it all. My knuckles hate working that close to the radiator.

j

Same thing I was told. Mine was about $800, but I also had them replace the fan clutch while they had it. It went out a couple of weeks before the CEL for the injector, so I had them do it all. My knuckles hate working that close to the radiator.

j

Funny you should mention fan clutch. Mine went out about a year ago and I ordered new clutch. Took it to my mechanic and he called me next day, said fan clutch was fine. Wiring harness had came loose. Said the connector at fan doesn't have a lock on it and since it's on downwind side the blowing air can push it off if it gets loose. Saved me about $300 on that.

Funny you should mention fan clutch. Wiring harness had came loose.
I wish mine was that simple. It was kicking in and out for no reason. Mostly in, which is really loud and kills the mpg. I was hoping it was the $10 temp sensor, so I tried that first. Nope.

j

I wish mine was that simple. It was kicking in and out for no reason. Mostly in, which is really loud and kills the mpg. I was hoping it was the $10 temp sensor, so I tried that first. Nope.

j

Ah, I can see that being an issue. I only noticed when it got to summertime and I realized AC wasn't working when I was sitting still.

Hello all! Super excited to say that I'll be bringing the family down in February. I have a question about the best/safest route. I'll be coming down from just north of Knoxville, TN. I'll be pulling a 2007 32' Copper Canyon 5er with a 2001 F250 7.3L. I just bought the camper a week ago, and I'm getting the truck Wednesday.

Now, I grew up working on a farm, and I've pulled tons of trailers over the years, some enclosed. I've never pulled a 5er at this point. I HAVE pulled goosenecks, but not on the Interstate. There is absolutely nothing about pulling the camper that "scares" me. What does bother me some is trying to pull it thru Atlanta on Sunday afternoon at 4pmish. My other alternative is to hit I-40E in Knoxville and go to Asheville and then take I-26 to 95. It'll add roughly 50 miles and an hour to my trip, which is inconsequential since we're making the trip in 2 legs.

Am I making more out of it than I need to, or will the trip through the Carolinas be less stressful?

Thanks!

Hello all! Super excited to say that I'll be bringing the family down in February. I have a question about the best/safest route. I'll be coming down from just north of Knoxville, TN. I'll be pulling a 2007 32' Copper Canyon 5er with a 2001 F250 7.3L. I just bought the camper a week ago, and I'm getting the truck Wednesday.

Now, I grew up working on a farm, and I've pulled tons of trailers over the years, some enclosed. I've never pulled a 5er at this point. I HAVE pulled goosenecks, but not on the Interstate. There is absolutely nothing about pulling the camper that "scares" me. What does bother me some is trying to pull it thru Atlanta on Sunday afternoon at 4pmish. My other alternative is to hit I-40E in Knoxville and go to Asheville and then take I-26 to 95. It'll add roughly 50 miles and an hour to my trip, which is inconsequential since we're making the trip in 2 legs.

Am I making more out of it than I need to, or will the trip through the Carolinas be less stressful?

Thanks!

Well most folks recommend not going thru Atlanta. I have done 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 to 528 and it is not bad. We come out of PA, I have traveled thru TN both on the way to Alabama and to camp and 40 is not too bad. In the end, it is up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

We're going to do a few local camping trips between now and then as well. As soon as I get the truck in my possession, I'm going to pull the camper to one of our fire halls and adjust the brakes and such. My buddy pulled it home for me since I got the cart before the horse. The truck is coming from my cousin and he can't let it go until he gets his car out of the body shop. My wife thought I was crazy when I told her I was going to pull it to Knoxville a couple of times over the next few weeks to get use to pulling it. She thinks that pulling a 16' bass boat should be plenty to "learn" on.

Going through Atlanta on a Sunday afternoon shouldn't be a problem. Unless there there is accident somewhere (which is quite probable). Atlanta traffic is generally just a lot of stop and go, moving down the freeway at 15mph, then up to 50mph and back to 10 mph before stop and go again. Also a few places where you would think you needed to be in one lane, but should have been in another, and several right lanes that are exit only.

I would think the Carolina route from Knoxville might be rough having to go over the mountains.

Last edited:
I think I would feel safer traveling the mountains than the stop and go in Atlanta. Stopping and starting 12k over and over again seems like it would be stressful on a great day.

I think I would feel safer traveling the mountains than the stop and go in Atlanta. Stopping and starting 12k over and over again seems like it would be stressful on a great day.

Then I think you would prefer the Carolina route.

It sure does sound like I've already convinced myself, huh? I really, honestly haven't. The stop and go is honestly the main thing I want to avoid. And anybody that has driven thru Atlanta knows that's normal, like you said before.

I just don't want to be "that guy" that listens to what everyone says and then does what he was going to do anyway. I truly am open-minded about it. My only experience pulling a trailer thru Atlanta was an enclosed 6X12 U-Haul. It was Saturday or Sunday evening and I was heading north on 75. I almost lost my religion that day...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter