*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I was going to tell you to go through ATL and it will be fine, but then I saw U-Haul experience. Personally, I'll chance a delay going through ATL over taking a route that I know will automatically add an extra hour. I drive in traffic everyday.

If the thought of stop and go is that bad, take the longer route... And definitely avoid I-4 in Orlando. Take 429, pay the toll and relax.

j

I was going to tell you to go through ATL and it will be fine, but then I saw U-Haul experience. Personally, I'll chance a delay going through ATL over taking a route that I know will automatically add an extra hour. I drive in traffic everyday.

If the thought of stop and go is that bad, take the longer route... And definitely avoid I-4 in Orlando. Take 429, pay the toll and relax.

j

We're leaving on Sunday at around noon. I get off work at 11am that morning. We're planning on staying overnight along the way, busting the trip up into two days. We don't check in until Monday. That's the only reason the extra hour wasn't a factor.

There is no way in the world I would pull our FW through Atlanta as long as there is another route.

I think I would feel safer traveling the mountains than the stop and go in Atlanta. Stopping and starting 12k over and over again seems like it would be stressful on a great day.

It's never the getting going to 50mph that is ever a problem, it is usually getting the 12K back to 10mph that is, and it can get stressful.

It sure does sound like I've already convinced myself, huh? I really, honestly haven't.

It's never the getting going to50mph that is ever a problem, it is usually getting the 12K back to 10mph that is, and it can get stressful.

Actually no, it doesn't seem that way. If the start and stop is more of issue than mountains then I agree, go around. To me going down the mountain would be worse. I would be afraid of not being able to get the 12K back down below 50mph.:scared:

Actually no, it doesn't seem that way. If the start and stop is more of issue than mountains then I agree, go around. To me going down the mountain would be worse. I would be afraid of not being able to get the 12K back down below 50mph.:scared:
By the time we head down, I SHOULD have the programmer on my truck. The tow tune locks the torque converter instead of releasing it when you coast. The result is essentially an engine brake. On top of that, there's a diy mod to engage the exhaust back pressure valve which REALLY holds everything back. That's part of the reason the mountains don't bother me too much. Neither one do much good in stop and go traffic though.

I look at the braking thing a bit different than Chris (PAHunter). The truck has it's own brakes that should be capable of stopping the truck at it's max weight. (around 14,000 for my dually). The trailer has brakes that should be capable of stopping the trailer. Stopping, just like starting, takes longer than a regular car. You can't jump into a combo weighing 20,000+ lbs (23,000 in my case) and think it will accelerate and stop like a Camry. As long as you keep that in mind and maintain reasonable distance to the vehicle in front, stop and go isn't that stressful.

I'm with H&H818 on the mountains. Most diesel trucks today have some type of engine braking. My Ford does a pretty good job using the transmission and engine braking to maintain a speed going down 6% or higher grades. For those that been over Mont Eagle on I-24 coming into Chattanooga, it is a pretty good grade for East of the Rockies. The Southbound down hill seems a bit steeper than Northbound. I only have to hit the brakes a couple of times all the way down the 6% grade going into a few of the corners. The engine braking does most of the work.

Even with all that, the concern that the engine may not hold a speed and then the brakes will fail is more anxiety producing to me than rush hour with the trailer. There are people on this forum that will take much longer routes to avoid going over Mont Eagle.

Everyone has their comfort level. Take the route that makes you most comfortable and just factor in the time it may add. For some (my DW), the thought of towing anywhere is too much. That's why the Fort cabins are there.

j

I look at the braking thing a bit different than Chris (PAHunter). The truck has it's own brakes that should be capable of stopping the truck at it's max weight. (around 14,000 for my dually). The trailer has brakes that should be capable of stopping the trailer. Stopping, just like starting, takes longer than a regular car. You can't jump into a combo weighing 20,000+ lbs (23,000 in my case) and think it will accelerate and stop like a Camry. As long as you keep that in mind and maintain reasonable distance to the vehicle in front, stop and go isn't that stressful.

I'm with H&H818 on the mountains. Most diesel trucks today have some type of engine braking. My Ford does a pretty good job using the transmission and engine braking to maintain a speed going down 6% or higher grades. For those that been over Mont Eagle on I-24 coming into Chattanooga, it is a pretty good grade for East of the Rockies. The Southbound down hill seems a bit steeper than Northbound. I only have to hit the brakes a couple of times all the way down the 6% grade going into a few of the corners. The engine braking does most of the work.

Even with all that, the concern that the engine may not hold a speed and then the brakes will fail is more anxiety producing to me than rush hour with the trailer. There are people on this forum that will take much longer routes to avoid going over Mont Eagle.

Everyone has their comfort level. Take the route that makes you most comfortable and just factor in the time it may add. For some (my DW), the thought of towing anywhere is too much. That's why the Fort cabins are there.

j
I'm interested in seeing how my DW does, myself. I asked her last night if she wanted to learn to pull the camper. I got more of a look than an actual answer. I understood EXACTLY what the look said as well. Let's just say I'll be driving all 750 or so miles...

j

Well, come on, my brake system will stop both my truck and trailer with no problem even without the trailer brakes, although my trailer brakes still are set on the heavy side. We get up to speed pretty good for our weight, estimated to be about 32K combined. We will weigh it next time we are hooked up and on the way back from the dealership. And well we have plenty of engine braking with the Volvo, so no worries on what the grade is.
I don't mind the stop and go now as much, used to be a bit more stressful with the p/u. Now being able to see over everything, is so nice, and I put the transmission in a lower gear and set the jake brake higher and we just work our way along.

Well, come on, my brake system will stop both my truck and trailer with no problem even without the trailer brakes.
That's why I said we look at it a little different. :D

Actually, I'm pretty sure you could stop the Titanic with that setup.

I'm interested in seeing how my DW does, myself. I asked her last night if she wanted to learn to pull the camper. I got more of a look than an actual answer.
I've seen that look before, except DW's look was accompanied with a laugh and a $%#@ NO! :-)

j

That's why I said we look at it a little different. :D

Actually, I'm pretty sure you could stop the Titanic with that setup.

I've seen that look before, except DW's look was accompanied with a laugh and a $%#@ NO! :-)

j
I'm pretty sure mine called me stupid when I walked away...

Last edited:
Well, come on, my brake system will stop both my truck and trailer with no problem even without the trailer brakes
You are in the class of campers known as "The truck outweighs the camper". Typically this is reserved for folks pulling popups. Those pulling 5th wheels are very few in this group, but seem to be getting more numerous.

I am jealous.

Every time I mention to the wife that she needs to drive the rig, I get the same look. o_O

Same here, no words, just a look. I've come to know that look. It usually means "If you try to actually follow through on that you'll be starving, walking around in dirty non-ironed clothing, and will be cut off, and I don't mean the checking account either".

Amazing how much threat can be placed in one look.

Okay, to keep this on a towing subject, I am curious about other females point of view on this. We got any female posters that have input on driving the rig?

Okay, to keep this on a towing subject, I am curious about other females point of view on this. We got any female posters that have input on driving the rig?

I'm willing to learn. DH & I had this discussion just the other day. We are shopping for an RV now. I told him I think it would be easier to learn to drive a motorhome over a truck/fifth wheel. I supposed I'll get the chance soon enough as we are probably going to end up with a truck/fifth wheel.

As long as I don't have to make a bunch of tight right turns, I think I can learn. LOL

We've used my Dad's Class C, several times and I don't mind driving it--but it's quite a bit shorter than what we're looking at.

My DW is working with me and training to drive our setup. It of course does require a license upgrade. We have done some work with driving the cab, will practice some when we get the trailer back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter