*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

PPS - the next smallest trailer in our DIS Meet is/was tiggerdad's bumper pull Jayco at 38 ft but he has since sold it and is looking at 5ers (bigger I am sure). This is the kind of thing I am up against.

Wow - even I'd be short in that company, and we are at 35'. Although I will say that I would have no interest in going any longer on my bumper. If we shifted to a FW, maybe, but not until I can ditch our Suburban and move to a pick-up.

@bama_ed I get where you are going with the vehicle situation. Unfortunately, I do not see most modern compact/mid size C/SUV class vehicles as being a towing platform. From what I have seen are more car like components with a higher road clearance level. Personally, I have driven the Ford Edge. I have drove a few and even had a rental model for work for awhile. I enjoy the interior design and functionally. I just cannot see spending 35 or 40 K on a new one new or even 25K used for a descent low mile late model. I have looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport in the same class. Nice vehicle but some of the interior I was not overly impressed with. Same goes for the Chevy Equinox. The sales guy at Chevy dealer I went to to check one out was pretty laid back for a salesman. He went over everything about the truck but he was not into drinking the kool aid. He went over the items that were lacking too. I felt he was actually a pretty fair salesman. I also looked at a Hyundai Tuscon since the interior was nearly identical as my wife's Sonata. My aunt owns one. Drove OK but DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) take time to get use too. The best way to describe them a hybrid manual auto trans. It feels like both at the same time.

I guess it is all relative. The most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased my F350. I don't mind the payments since they are low. If I had to pay a much more higher car payment each month I probably would not have purchased it in the first place. Which is funny since I almost bought a leftover 2017 F350 when my truck was totaled. I think my wife being more on the fence but when I sat down, I was not thrilled at the larger vehicle payment. Same with all our vehicles. I have a certain threshold. My wife's car is the most expensive but a fully loaded Sonata Hybrid. She loved the car at first drive and it went from there. The price and the financing were on point so it fell in to our laps sorta speak.

One last note, funny story about your pop up "flying" away. If 2 or 3 of those behemoths could have blocked the wind for you! LOL Heck PA's new long hauler could stop that wind by itself. LOL

Alan, if worst comes to worst, I could check the "old" Suburban used market again. I bought my 2005 Suburban in 2010 (5 yrs old) with 85k miles at a dealer. Playing around with Autotrader a few months ago, I came across another 2005 Suburban, one owner, 97k miles at a dealer. Thing is, now it's a 13yo vehicle and was priced $2k more than what I had paid for my 5yo vehicle in 2010! <lol>

I would be okay with that path too except the neighborhood I moved to last year is older with a somewhat narrow street and a quite narrow driveway (houses close on both sides). Oh I DO spot my popup into the garage at the end of the drive but it is tight getting it back there but I can do it every time no problem with a little work. So I try to park on the street along the curb as much as I can. Thus my preference for a smaller everyday vehicle that does some occasional towing. But I could manage with another Suburban as I am now.

My hope is, however, I don't have to cross this road for a while yet.

ED

Last edited:
If 2 or 3 of those behemoths could have blocked the wind for you! LOL Heck PA's new long hauler could stop that wind by itself. LOL
Behemoth?!

I prefer gigantor. Besides, mine isn't that big. Ed stood right next to it as I backed into our site at GSP last year. His eyes stayed mostly in his head. :D

As for a new TV, definitely look at the used Suburban market, but for your Aliner, I would certainly consider a mid-size SUV. We picked up a 3 year old Explorer from CarMax last year. It has the tow package, including a nice hidden Class 4/5 hitch, that's rated to 5,000 lbs. I wouldn't hesitate pulling a popup, Aliner or small TT with it. And you know my tow history.

As for CarMax, we had a fantastic experience with them. We have recommended them to 2 friends that also bought (and traded) from them and had the same great experience. That is primarily where we are looking for a replacement Miata for Ian.

j

Last edited:

Yep, Jim, that's the range I'm thinking. Don't need a full size pickup and the towing capacity it would provide.

< but if I ever bought a Ford someday, you know Michael would never let me hear the end of it ... > :teeth:

ED

< but if I ever bought a Ford someday, you know Michael would never let me hear the end of it ... > :teeth:

When you buy that Ford, you'll wonder why you waited so long. :duck:Kind of like me rooting for Alabama. :D

Actually, everyone I know that has had a Suburban, swears by them. If I were in the large SUV segment, that's probably what I would look for.

j

I've been test driving a few trail hawks, looking to get one for my son as he nears the end of college. Nice vehicle, but I'm not sure how far you want to tow with it. I ran a Chevy 1500 conversion van (high top) around the country pulling a Coleman Bayside (3500 pounds) and it was ok, not overkill. We bought a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the diesel engine. I hooked onto my Bayside one day and drug it about 50 miles for nothing better to do. I was really impressed with it. Never really had the need to tow the Bayside far with it, 6 months later I picked up a Ram 2500 diesel and another 6 months I got my 38ft Cougar fifth wheel. The Chevy was a good tow vehicle, but you had to work at it with the Bayside. It has a lot of wind noise inside, but has a lot of room. It still runs good at 160k miles. The Jeep is still amazing with the fuel mileage and power at 87k. But the Ram 2500 now with 75k is one heck of a tow vehicle.

The 2005-2012 Nissan Pathfinders and all the Xterras are truck based SUVs with box frames (shared with the Frontier) and have decent towing ability with the 4.0 litre V6.

Actually, everyone I know that has had a Suburban, swears by them. If I were in the large SUV segment, that's probably what I would look for.

j

I just wish they wouldn't have abandoned the heavier duty version. They started reducing the capability in '07 and have now completely abandoned the market, which is why we are babying ours along. We bought a new family SUV 2 years ago - instead of being able to buy something that could serve as a daily driver for the family AND a tow vehicle, we continue to maintain a third vehicle because we can't replace the Suburban.

Well...the trailhawk sold sadly :(. But I did get a Jeep Cherokee North with a V6 and 4x4. Its a 2015 but had only 36,000 KM on it so I couldn't pass it up! Its rated to tow up to 4500 lbs and that's all I need as my trailer is 2500 dry but I'm guessing with gear it'll be around 3500.

Well...the trailhawk sold sadly :(. But I did get a Jeep Cherokee North with a V6 and 4x4. Its a 2015 but had only 36,000 KM on it so I couldn't pass it up! Its rated to tow up to 4500 lbs and that's all I need as my trailer is 2500 dry but I'm guessing with gear it'll be around 3500.

Sounds like a nice tow vehicle. Happy Camping in the New Year.

I've got a question about my auxiliary fuel tank. I thought I had my leak fixed, but I apparently didn't. I put fuel in it for the first time Sunday, and after driving home, I realized that I was pouring fuel onto the driveway. Apparently the 1.5" barbed pipe in the filler hose with the barbed 90 for the aux tank fill line, either has a hole worn in it, or the hose itself has a hole worn in it. The aluminum barbed fitting in the filler hose is sitting directly on top of the frame.

In order to replace the hose/fitting, I'll have to drop the fuel tank. From there, I have a few options. Given the aluminum "T" is the problem, I can do away with it and just replace the filler hose from the neck to the tank. If I do that, can I plumb my aux tank into the vent hose that comes up the the top of the filler neck? Or would it be better to cut my new filler hose outside of the frame, so it can be gotten to easier if trouble ever arises again.

The vent hose on the truck doesn't vent to the atmosphere, it's still inside the closed system.

Thanks

Personally I'd replace the filler line and then T into it and leave breather line alone. If I'm following you correctly. This is usually the suggestion of most manufacture when installing auxiliary tanks.

When I first used my auxiliary tank I thought I had a leak, turned out it was the breather line coming out of auxiliary tank that was letting fuel splash out. I ended up attaching a piece of 3/4" fuel line to it and when I fill auxiliary up I put the line into a container, like an empty DEF jug.

Personally I'd replace the filler line and then T into it and leave breather line alone. If I'm following you correctly. This is usually the suggestion of most manufacture when installing auxiliary tanks.

When I first used my auxiliary tank I thought I had a leak, turned out it was the breather line coming out of auxiliary tank that was letting fuel splash out. I ended up attaching a piece of 3/4" fuel line to it and when I fill auxiliary up I put the line into a container, like an empty DEF jug.

Mine is definitely not the vent on the auxiliary tank. Whoever installed my tank (it was in when my cousin bought the truck about 8 yrs ago) installed the T on top of the frame. It has to have a hole rubbed into the hose itself, between the T and the tank, or in the T itself. Why they didn't install it outside of the tank, I have no idea. The filler neck MAY have needed to be trimmed, but I doubt it.

I went ahead and made a new 1-1/2" aluminum barbed T at work on Tuesday. I welded a bung onto the side of it and drilled and tapped it for a hose barb fitting for the hose coming from the auxiliary tank. In a few weeks I'll have all the fuel out of the truck tank. As soon as it's down to empty I'm taking it to a buddy's house and throwing it on a lift. I'll drop the tank and replace the fill line and the vent line. If it's just the hose that has a hole in it, I'll put the T back in it that's in it now. If not, I'll have that one I made ready to go.

Either way, I'm going back in the fill line, rather than the vent line.

Rodney,

Here is a link to the tank and coupler I have on my F350. (The coupler is at the bottom- picture is below) It splices into the filler for the tank. There is a short piece of rubber hose that connects the filler opening to the tank. You cut that and splice in this part. My team mate had the exact same setup. I had a problem with mine with the check valve that is built in to prevent overfill. The valve would stick mostly shut and wouldn't let fuel drain in from the auxiliary tank. I took the valve apart and removed the check float and all is well. The gas cap prevents fuel from overflowing. The check valve is in the larger metal piece that goes in-line with the filler hose, not the stopcock that goes in the aux tank.

3490901_400x400.jpg

j

Rodney,

Here is a link to the tank and coupler I have on my F350. (The coupler is at the bottom- picture is below) It splices into the filler for the tank. There is a short piece of rubber hose that connects the filler opening to the tank. You cut that and splice in this part. My team mate had the exact same setup. I had a problem with mine with the check valve that is built in to prevent overfill. The valve would stick mostly shut and wouldn't let fuel drain in from the auxiliary tank. I took the valve apart and removed the check float and all is well. The gas cap prevents fuel from overflowing. The check valve is in the larger metal piece that goes in-line with the filler hose, not the stopcock that goes in the aux tank.

3490901_400x400.jpg

j
That looks like it's probably the same setup as mine. Either the barbed aluminum T, or the hose between the T and the tank has a hole rubbed into it from the frame. It's just too dadgum tight in there to see where it's coming from. As soon as I get this tank of fuel ran out, I'll drop the truck tank and repair everything. That'll give me a chance to do the harpoon mod on the tank, as well as replace the pre filters on the pickup tube.

What Jim posted is essentially what mine is as well. Mine already had a pump when I bought it, otherwise I'd probably of just gravity fed it.

I just finished repairing my leak (hopefully) a few hours ago. I bought a new filler hose and dropped the tank. My auxiliary tank was nearly full, so I just started transferring fuel. Keeping an eye on it over the last few hours. The gauge now shows above full, and I can see there is still fuel in the auxiliary tank. No fuel in the filler neck yet when I pull the cap off. If the check valve works, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to see it or not. No sign of any dripping fuel so far though! Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!