*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I looked them up, I think I would do two 500 units rather then a single 1000sq ft just to leave one in the BR and one in the main living. I am usually powered all winter as well. I have not put a full 50A plug in yet, but we are going to at least put a 30A in at this new place.

Just reading through the post, not trying to be a smart ( fill in the blank ) but, looking at the Davis unit, your measurements would be in cubic feet , length x width x height. ( 32’ x 9’ x 7’ =2016 cubic ft. ) Not square feet which would be length x width ( 10’ x 100’ = 1000 sq. ft., that would be one big camper.

I was thinking about that too. I put sq/ft, but was thinking cu/ft. thinking a 1000 would likely be enough in this area, but two 500 could be just as good.

I took your advice Jim/ @Teamubr advice, I ordered the Sailuns for the 5er, two days later...received_527868424680369.jpeg
When I ever get back in town I'm going to go have them installed with metal valve stems. The grand total w/tax was $1017 on simpletire.com free shipping via FedEx right to the house.

My stepson has a pipeline job coming up in Bushell, Fl. for the next three months so I'm gonna let him use the 5er to stay in. So I found a nice campground there and he booked it. I told my DW that it's kinda close to Disney and Tampa / Busch Gardens area. So some short two or three day mini trips might be in our future.

I was just thinking how next summer I will need to do that as my tires are old in age. Would love to hear what you think about them.

I took your advice Jim/ @Teamubr advice, I ordered the Sailuns for the 5er.

My stepson has a pipeline job coming up in Bushell, Fl. for the next three months. I told my DW that it's kinda close to Disney and Tampa / Busch Gardens area. So some short two or three day mini trips might be in our future.
I think you will really like the tires on your trailer. Below is the spreadsheet Sailun sent me to determine how much air to put in. Per the chart, I can run mine down to 60psi (3,000lbs on each tire).

I was just thinking how next summer I will need to do that as my tires are old in age. Would love to hear what you think about them.
jbrostek,

I have pulled a lot of different trailers all around the country. My current camper is my 4th, but I raced sports cars for a long time. I've towed everything from open single car trailers to 48ft enclosed 2 car haulers with triple axles (21,000 lbs). For heavy trailers (12,000lbs and up) load range E tires will give you problems, especially if you tow at regular highway speeds in the heat. The sidewalls flex too much and the heat generation will eventually kill them. The Sailun S637 is G rated. You'll have to check the rims on you camper to see what the rim is rated. Mine were stamped "110psi" on the inside. The S637 has very stiff sidewalls. I was amazed how much the old E tires squatted sitting in the driveway compared to these Sailuns. The RV forum "experts" have recommended Sailuns for a long time.

I just pulled the trailer back from the storage lot last night and it continues to amaze me how well the tires "roll". With the old E tires, when lifting off the gas, you could feel the trailer immediately pulling to slow you down. Like pulling the trailer through sand or snow. I lift off the gas now and the truck slows like it does without the trailer on.

I can't speak to longevity, but other are getting many miles and years on them.

The Sailuns are also rated to 75mph. I highlighted that on the spreadsheet. If you look up the fine print on many E rated ST tires, they are only rated to 60mph (or less).

j

With our setup we will be putting new tires on in the spring, but will be going with BOAR tires and rims. It converts your tires over to use semi truck tires on your trailer.

Thanks for that spread sheet Jim, I'm going tomorrow to get them put on,m with metal valve stems, I'll probably set them at 80 psi. Looking at the sailuns I'm impressed that they have a date of 2919 which isn't bad at all. Nice heavy stiff sidewalls. I think they'll roll pretty easy like you say, especially behind that 625 horse Cummins in my Pete. (yup finally got it "tuned")

Chris I've seen that setup your talking about going with good choice, it's like a 17.5 or 19.5 rim or something I've thought about it but never did pulled the trigger on it. It's a better peace of mind when your towing.

I would like to take one of the old Westlakes and find another rim and have two spares. I wanna move the winch for the one spare over and install one more winch and store both tires underneath the 5er. The Westlakes on it now have a 15 has the year they were made, cant remember the week number but I believe its time to replace before I have a blow out. I pulled one tire off last week to check the rim psi and after looking it over pretty good I didn't see any cracks or bad spots in the tire nor did I find a psi number on the rim, I had to research it online.

Dash Cameras
Just checking to see what dash cameras other people are using. I currently have a KdLinks X3 2.7k super HD. I think I paid around $130 for it. It works ok. It's a camera and it records. I would like something with more clarity as well as being gps equiped. (My fault, I hit the wrong button when ordering). Before this I had a Garmin Dash Cam 55. It was around $200, had all the bells and whistles as well as great video, Problem was it only lasted one day. It shut off and wouldn't restart so it went back. I wouldn't mind replacing the current camera with one having better features but I'd like to know what others are using and how they like what they have.
Thanks!
Don

I have been using a cheap 30 dollar camera from online, but I saw the other day it has been discontinued. My next one will be integrated with the GPS, have looked a lot at the Garmin Dezl. It is designed for larger trucks, but should work when towing for me.

I have been using a cheap 30 dollar camera from online, but I saw the other day it has been discontinued. My next one will be integrated with the GPS, have looked a lot at the Garmin Dezl. It is designed for larger trucks, but should work when towing for me.
I've had a bunch of Garmin items and they've been good. The one I had really turned me off on them, once burned etc. That being said, I'll check out the reviews on the Dezl. Thanks!
I just looked in Amazon, is that a camera or a gps unit?

I know it is a bit pricey and not for everyone. It is nice that you can customize to your length and height and weight so it knows where to route you.
The price isn't as much of an issue as placement. If I put it close enough to see I don't think the camera would pick up the road?

Well - we did it! As our 2006 HD Suburban nears a month of sitting on the lot of a local garage without readily available parts for a repair, we decided it was time to move on.

The bad news - we've added a payment to the budget... :worried:

The better news - the payment is basically the same as we spent on repairs on the Suburban this year... :P

The best news - We can take the trailer on the road with far less concern about a roadside failure (ie - the brake lines blowing out while driving down the interstate last summer)… :yay:

The worst news - I have to wait 4-5 months to hook it up and give it a try! :sad:

Nice truck! Sometimes the piece of mind that you won't break down are worth the money. And if the payment is what you were spending on repairs, better to put the money towards something that will last.

What year and motor did you get?

j

Nice truck! Sometimes the piece of mind that you won't break down are worth the money. And if the payment is what you were spending on repairs, better to put the money towards something that will last.

What year and motor did you get?

j

It's a 2019 with the Ecoboost and Max Tow Package. It's not quite as beastly as the big block in the Suburban, but the Ecoboost should handle our trailer fine, and the extra 2' of wheelbase will be a big step up. It will also become a daily driver when our daughter starts driving, so the difference in MPG's over the Suburban will be massive! We have every expectation that this will be a 10+ year truck for us!

Well - we did it! As our 2006 HD Suburban nears a month of sitting on the lot of a local garage without readily available parts for a repair, we decided it was time to move on.

The bad news - we've added a payment to the budget... :worried:

The better news - the payment is basically the same as we spent on repairs on the Suburban this year... :P

The best news - We can take the trailer on the road with far less concern about a roadside failure (ie - the brake lines blowing out while driving down the interstate last summer)… :yay:

The worst news - I have to wait 4-5 months to hook it up and give it a try! :sad:

View attachment 456293View attachment 456295

Good looking truck, mickeyfan0805.

Bama Ed

It's a 2019 with the Ecoboost and Max Tow Package.
One of my managers has the same truck and loves it. He uses it as a daily too. I rode with him out to one of our satellite hospitals and I was impressed with the turbo 6. He says he gets about 20mpg with it.

I think you will really like it.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!