*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I so know this feeling, but no more! I am done with the white stuff!
This was from about four years ago and it was the final push to get me to move south...

Yeah - I would if I could. At the moment, work wins the day and keeps me where I am. I dream of a retirement including heading south in a FW just after Christmas and not returning until Easter. DW is not so keen. Given that it's still a good 20 years out - who knows! For now, nothing to do but suck it up!

Looks great!

'Shakedown this weekend!' Boy am I jealous...

Not going to say you jinxed me, but I've woken up to sleet and freezing rain and highs and lows below freezing through TUE. I died a little inside when I suggested to DW that we postpone our shakedown trip until President's Day. She reluctantly agreed.

If the roads thaw like the weatherman predicts (so accurate these days...🙄) we're going to go to the storage lot and move in all our RV junk that is still sitting in the garage from the old trailer. Then go to WM to find the new shelving and other accouterments we need to make the new rig our home away from home. So at least I'll be in the camper?

Winter can be so unpredictable for camping. The traditional FW trip I have had to dig out the RV from a 14" snowfall, left in driving rain and sleet (non accumulating), And January 2014 it was 6F when I left VA heading south. Then last weekend it was 68F and we went on a 3 mile walk after spending saturday buying our new rig at the RV show. We are scheduled to pick it up next weekend and this weekend they are calling for snow while we work to box up most of the stuff and unload the old unit.

Winter can be so unpredictable for camping. The traditional FW trip I have had to dig out the RV from a 14" snowfall, left in driving rain and sleet (non accumulating), And January 2014 it was 6F when I left VA heading south. Then last weekend it was 68F and we went on a 3 mile walk after spending saturday buying our new rig at the RV show. We are scheduled to pick it up next weekend and this weekend they are calling for snow while we work to box up most of the stuff and unload the old unit.
Where are you in VA?
In January 2014 we were heading back to MD from Florida. What a letdown that was!

Where are you in VA?
In January 2014 we were heading back to MD from Florida. What a letdown that was!

At the time Manassas, and the rig was stored in Chantilly near the cadillac dealer. We now live in Haymarket/Gainesville a short walk from Greenville Farm Family Campground with enough land and no HOA stopping us from storing the rig at home.

I bet that was a fosty let down. I actually blew out an injector near Rocky Mount, NC and got to spend a few 9F days at the local KOA while Ford fixed the truck. Its when I found out that my Sanibel faired pretty well as long as you had the tank heaters and heat running.

Winter can be so unpredictable for camping.

And how. Our spring break trip last year was 40s, windy, and miserable through KS, OK, and TX until we got down San Antonio.

My camping addiction is ready for years when my job is more flexible or retirement when we can snowbird in the SW or SE.

I work in technology but always seem to find the jobs that require me to be in the office. One day I will find a 90-100% telework job and can spend a summer when my wife (teacher) is on break and just travel the country. She knows my goal for retirement is to spend a couple years on the road visiting places.

Right on jbrostek. I have an Alaska RV trip in my dream planning folder. I want to get the kids up there for a summer before they leave the house for good.

I work in technology but always seem to find the jobs that require me to be in the office. One day I will find a 90-100% telework job and can spend a summer when my wife (teacher) is on break and just travel the country. She knows my goal for retirement is to spend a couple years on the road visiting places.
I've been in IT for almost 18 years now. For the last 5 I've been completely web based. I consider myself very lucky! It has allowed us to make our move from Maryland to Florida. Not retired yet but at least we've changed our geography to our retirement jumping off point. We are still in the take off for travel days and stay a week phase. I have worked from our home on wheels for 3 months while the house here was being finished so if I want to go an a road trip I can. That being said it's really no fun to be stuck in the coach working while my wife heads off to the pool! Best of luck to you and your goal!

The 100 loop is tight. We stayed there had a 3500 DRW and a 25 foot travel trailer and had a fun time getting in to a site. 200 and 300 have a little more room but are still tight. Biggest issue is if people are parked toward the end of the site and you lose the trailing room for the trailer to track. Enjoy the stay.
Thanks to all for the kind posts! Getting excited for the trip (except the weather in July) :sunny:

One good thing about the newer diesels. We just traded up on our 5er going from the Sanibel 3600 with a GVWR of 15500, to our GD Solitude 380FL with a GVWR of 16800.

The old unit was empty for the trip down, and the new one was empty for the trip home and they towed the same in my opinion. As one would probably expect and knowing that my max is 21500 and nowhere near it even if I loaded up the trailer more is a good cushion for me.

If I still had my 2006 6.0 I would be upgraded no matter if I had a SRW or DRW as they max at at 15400 and 15600 respectively. After 4 years, I can say I do not miss my old truck at all other then it was paid off (which the 2012 will be shortly.)

We are pulling our 38ft. 5th wheel down next Feb. for 2 weeks. It will be our first time at FW. We have reserved a preferred site, but I am unsure if there is a certain loop we should request? I'm thinking we might want to be towards the front of the park, for easier access to the bus (not the inner loop). We will most likely bring our bikes to ride around the campground to get to the bus stops.
Any advice on a loop to request or any advice at all? Anything would be appreciated.
Also, are the sites easy to back into? We are new to the 5th wheel and aren't real adept at this yet ;)
Thanks!

It will be our first time at FW. We have reserved a preferred site. I'm thinking we might want to be towards the front of the park.

Any advice on a loop to request or any advice at all? Anything would be appreciated.

Also, are the sites easy to back into? We are new to the 5th wheel and aren't real adept at this yet ;)
:welcome:

You've come to the right place. Preferred sites are my favorite. They are loops 100, 200 and 300. All are close to "The Settlement" with the boat dock to MK and the Bay Lake resorts (WL and Contemp), Trails End restaurant, Hoop-D-Doo and one of the Trading Posts. Unfortunately, if you want to be close "to the front", Preferred are about as far from the front (Outpost) as you can be. In reality, none of the camping loops are "close" to the Outpost.

Personally, I would request Loop 100. It is the closest to The Settlement, but the 200 loop is right next door. The Preferred loops are a little tight for negotiating a HUGE camper, but you should be ok at 38 ft. Take your time and watch your mirrors, you'll be fine.

One thing to remember, if you aren't sure you can get backed into your assigned site. Take a look around for an empty one in the loop you think is easier. Call (or go up to the front gate (Outpost) and ask to be switched. Like any campground, some sites are easier than others to back into. This certainly applies to the Preferred sites. It may be a trash cans, an ill placed street light or the neighbor's truck across the street. Don't feel locked in to the "assigned" site if you don't think you can get it.

Hopefully you fall in love with the Fort and the Preferred sites. Unfortunately, I sized out with the new 5er (42 ft and a 23 ft truck). 65 ft is a little much for the most seasoned driver to wind around the preferred loops. (Although I have seen it done). I stick to the Premium sites now.

Here's a map of the Fort. The blue loops at the top are the Preferred loops. The entrance (front) to the Fort and the Outpost with the bus stop to the parks (except MK) is at the bottom.

new-map-jpg.315552

j

Last edited:
Teamubr,
Thanks for the welcome and your advice! Would you think we would be better off changing to a Premium site? (I want all to go as smoothly as possible ;) )

Would you think we would be better off changing to a Premium site?
Preferred sites are narrower (12ft on average vs 18ft). The length of sites varies no matter what category. I really like the location of the Preferred sites, especially Loop 100. It is an easy walk to the boat dock, the Settlement Trading Post and Trails End. The Settlement bus stop (internal bus that takes you throughout the Fort) is an easy walk. There are a few Premium (Premium "Meadows" now) loops that are an easy walk to the "Meadows" area with the swimming pool, 2nd trading post and the campfire (singalong and movies). There really isn't much near "the front" of the Fort except the Outpost registration building and the bus depot to the parks and Disney Springs. The closest camping loops are still a 10 minute walk to the Outpost.
If you are pretty concerned about being able to get backed into a Preferred site, I would see if a Premium (or Premium Meadows) site is available. If you would like to be close to food, shopping and transportation, I'd stick with the Preferred.

j

Preferred sites are narrower (12ft on average vs 18ft). The length of sites varies no matter what category. I really like the location of the Preferred sites, especially Loop 100. It is an easy walk to the boat dock, the Settlement Trading Post and Trails End. The Settlement bus stop (internal bus that takes you throughout the Fort) is an easy walk. There are a few Premium (Premium "Meadows" now) loops that are an easy walk to the "Meadows" area with the swimming pool, 2nd trading post and the campfire (singalong and movies). There really isn't much near "the front" of the Fort except the Outpost registration building and the bus depot to the parks and Disney Springs. The closest camping loops are still a 10 minute walk to the Outpost.
If you are pretty concerned about being able to get backed into a Preferred site, I would see if a Premium (or Premium Meadows) site is available. If you would like to be close to food, shopping and transportation, I'd stick with the Preferred.

j
Thanks again for your input! I just messaged our TA and asked her to upgrade us to Premium ;)
We don't care too much about being close to the Trading Post, Trails end, etc. We are hoping to be able to get around on our bikes instead of relying on internal buses though :)

We don't care too much about being close to the Trading Post, Trails end, etc. We are hoping to be able to get around on our bikes instead of relying on internal buses though :)
Go for a Premium Meadows site then. They are the most central loops at the Fort. It is a new category this year, but most of the loops in the middle of things are the new, pricier, category.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts