*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

@team bradfield Funny, since my 2014 I never use manual level unless it wont level properly. It is now just part of my disconnect process that onces the truck is off the trailer, I hit auto level while I work on connecting shore power. By the time that is done she is level and I continue on to the next task.

@SouthAlabama5er I bet it tows really well. I like the newer units except the price. Right now I have a 2012 F350DRW with 51k miles on it, the last one I had I ran till 200k miles before I traded up and that was a 2006 in 2016. I drive this truck less as I now work in an area where driving an old 2005 hyundai is easier plus fits in my companies garage.

First time I have seen the Camping Forum. We have camped at Fort Wilderness many times and now are DVC Members but still plan on staying at FW at least every other year. This summer we have a trip planned with Friends from Texas and cant wait to get back to our Happy Place!!! This picture is from 2016 when we had 10 people on our site. What a great time it was.

DenaliFortWilderness.JPG

First time I have seen the Camping Forum. We have camped at Fort Wilderness many times and now are DVC Members but still plan on staying at FW at least every other year. This summer we have a trip planned with Friends from Texas and cant wait to get back to our Happy Place!!! This picture is from 2016 when we had 10 people on our site. What a great time it was.

View attachment 481447

:welcome:

Hate you just found us, but by all means be no stranger. Looking forward to hearing some more from you.

Good looking truck, Joe.

I had a gooseneck adapter on my old 5er. I was too cheap to by the Reese hitch that fit the pucks in the bed floor. It was bad enough buying the $200 Ford gooseneck ball to tow the race trailer. Still have the adapter in the garage. It seemed to make the pin hammer a little harder over big bumps, but otherwise towed fine.

j

Hopefully, this Corona crap will just be a memory by the middle of September. Our new fifth wheel will make its debut at the Fort starting September 13.

View attachment 483670
Which model is that. We looked at the one with the Front Kitchen, but wife did not like having a table. SO DW won with the front living room.

Which model is that. We looked at the one with the Front Kitchen, but wife did not like having a table. SO DW won with the front living room.

PaHunter, She's a 2020 Montana High Country 295RL 10th Year Anniversary Edition. We really like the looks of a front living room floor plan but I was concerned with the additional pin weight that might result with front living units. So, this 295RL is a rear living coach with 3 slides (2 opposing) and a residential refer. I wasn't to thrilled with the idea of a residential refer simply because of the need for shore power. It does have an inverter and I insisted on 2 batteries but still, not thrilled with relying on shore power or batteries to keep my beer cold :-) Solar would be an option of course but that stuff is PRICEY ! Anyway, the wife loves it ... Happy Wife, Happy Life :-)

Last edited:
Good looking truck, Joe.

I had a gooseneck adapter on my old 5er. I was too cheap to by the Reese hitch that fit the pucks in the bed floor. It was bad enough buying the $200 Ford gooseneck ball to tow the race trailer. Still have the adapter in the garage. It seemed to make the pin hammer a little harder over big bumps, but otherwise towed fine.

j

Well my first time towing went well. The truck has plenty of power. Not sure if it's due to the gooseneck or not but I seem to feel more of the road. Especially crossing the long bay bridge. It could just be that the new truck has more suspension travel. But I got it to the Gulf no trouble at all. If anyone needs to run from the virus there is many open spaces from what I can see.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's due to the gooseneck or not but I seem to feel more of the road.
That's what I meant about it "hammering" more. It may have been in my head, but all the pin weight being on a little ball vs spread out on a 5th wheel plate seems like it would make the bumps a little rougher. It also seemed to have a little more push/pull that a 5er hitch.

I'm surprised GSP is still open. All the parks up here are shut down. Have a great time.

j

Nice looking Monty, we have the front living room model, 6 slides, we just love it.

P.S. I understand the concern of power for the residential fridge, if we boondocked or had limited power concerns, we wouldn't have purchased it.. we have always camped/vacationed at electric sites. I also installed a 30 amp service at the house to keep powered up. nice back up to keep extra beer cold!

20190315_181942.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure which thread to ask this so I'll do it here.

In a travel trailer freezer, how long should i expect something like 1/2 lb hamburger to freeze? Chicken breast? Steaks? Etc.

Thanks
Dave

I'm not sure which thread to ask this so I'll do it here.

In a travel trailer freezer, how long should i expect something like 1/2 lb hamburger to freeze? Chicken breast? Steaks? Etc.

Thanks
Dave

Well out trailer has a residential fridge, so it is like our home unit. I always start my fridge up at least 2 days before our trip and once cold we load with the food we are taking. Most stuff is already frozen from our main freezer in the house. If you are just freezing leftovers, I would say not very long but it also depends on the temperature that your freezer gets down to.
There is no real good answer without knowing the temps of your freezer, etc. But I would expect it to take longer than your residential unit at home does.

We have a typical Dometic gas/electric RV refrigerator. The freezer gets (and stays) cold. It will freeze things as fast or faster than my home freezer. The problem I have with my current (RV) refrigerator is the entire thing takes forever to cool down to temperature. 18-24 hours in the summer. And if I put too much in the refrigerator, it won't hold a temp. It's done it since new. There is a temperature read out on the front. It fluctuates all over. I put a thermometer inside that reads more consistent. If I put too much inside or anything warm, the temp goes from 36-48 (or higher) and will take 12 hours or more to cool back down. The hotter the outside temp is the worse it is. I added a circulating fan inside and 2 in the vent thinking it was a circulation thing, but they didn't help much.

Oddly, the freezer stays frozen fine.

Sorry for the rant. I think I answered your question. :worship:

j

We have a typical Dometic gas/electric RV refrigerator. The freezer gets (and stays) cold. It will freeze things as fast or faster than my home freezer. The problem I have with my current (RV) refrigerator is the entire thing takes forever to cool down to temperature. 18-24 hours in the summer. And if I put too much in the refrigerator, it won't hold a temp. It's done it since new. There is a temperature read out on the front. It fluctuates all over. I put a thermometer inside that reads more consistent. If I put too much inside or anything warm, the temp goes from 36-48 (or higher) and will take 12 hours or more to cool back down. The hotter the outside temp is the worse it is. I added a circulating fan inside and 2 in the vent thinking it was a circulation thing, but they didn't help much.

Oddly, the freezer stays frozen fine.

Sorry for the rant. I think I answered your question. :worship:

j
Thanks.... it answered my questions, now i just hope my wife can follow along. Lol

Oh, i totally agree, but my wife wants to be able to buy fresh meats while on the road, then freeze it for future use like she would at home.
How long are you out? Can you buy everything at the start and freeze before you leave.

But not sure why you would do this? When camping you sometimes have to adjust how you shop and eat. But we find even for a long weekend for four we can fill the fridge but have very little in the freezer.

But are you buying sides of beef out on the road? :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts