*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Ok, after looking at all the stickers, I found the one in the glove compartment that lists parts, and I found one corresponding to the 3.42 axle ratio, which is good.

Our door sticker didn't have nearly that much info, wish it did! We found the GVWR (7000 lbs) early on, but it does not list the GCWR.

Here's one for a GM I found on the web that shows trailer weights. Looks like it is next to the door tag (typically driver's door B-pillar) with tire and axle ratings.

View attachment 502760

j

Teamubr, the GM Trailering Information sticker info you posted started in 2020 ... prior to that, the sticker was similar to Ford.

Ok, after looking at all the stickers, I found the one in the glove compartment that lists parts, and I found one corresponding to the 3.42 axle ratio, which is good.

Our door sticker didn't have nearly that much info, wish it did! We found the GVWR (7000 lbs) early on, but it does not list the GCWR.

Another sticker that is important is the yellow/black sticker on the drivers door post that list tire inflation. I also indicates how much cargo carrying capacity your truck is rated for. I.E., how much additional weight your truck can safely carry such as, persons, coolers, dogs, firewood, hitch weight, and tongue weight of the travel trailer.

Teamubr, the GM Trailering Information sticker info you posted started in 2020 ... prior to that, the sticker was similar to Ford.
BBB,

It figures. I've never owned a GM product, but found a bunch of images for the trailer weights. Seems everyone is impressed with that new addition. It's about time the manufacturers made it easy to find that info. Ford publishes their tow ratings for every possible cab/frame/engine/axle/transmission and tire and wheel combo. It is a bit overwhelming, but it is fairly easy to find all the info you need.

j

Okay looking for recommendations on towbars and baseplates for those with Class A or C Motorhomes. After hemming and Hawing over the subject we pulled the trigger and got a vehicle we can tow behind the coach. Got a good deal on a 2018 Chevy Equinox that came off lease. Weight limit is under our max and it according to MotorHome Magazine Dingy Guide and owners manual it can be towed 4 down.
Going next week to talk with service and parts people at our local RV dealership for their recommendations as to tow bar, baseplate for Toad and braking system and Toad shield. Still would love to hear what others have and how happy you are. TIA

Okay looking for recommendations on towbars and baseplates for those with Class A or C Motorhomes. After hemming and Hawing over the subject we pulled the trigger and got a vehicle we can tow behind the coach. Got a good deal on a 2018 Chevy Equinox that came off lease. Weight limit is under our max and it according to MotorHome Magazine Dingy Guide and owners manual it can be towed 4 down.
Going next week to talk with service and parts people at our local RV dealership for their recommendations as to tow bar, baseplate for Toad and braking system and Toad shield. Still would love to hear what others have and how happy you are. TIA
Hey Mike, we have the Blue Ox tow bar and base plate and have been very happy with it. Is it "the best"? I don't know but we've had it since 2014 and have about 30k miles on it. We tow a 2011 Tahoe. I also use the Blue Ox Patriot brake. I wanted a brake that tied into the coach air system but nobody near where we lived knew how to install it so we went the easy route. I bought everything that was rated at 10k even though I don't get near that. Just looking for the safety factor.
PS: Whatever you do make sure the tow bar is level. I didn't! First trip really had me on edge. As soon as I got back I bought a 6' drop hitch which did the job.
This is without the drop hitch. Don't be this guy!
Drop Hitch!

Last edited:
@Stratman50th I use a Blue OX Sway Pro 1500# spring bar WD hitch for my trailer towing needs. I love it. I met the company out at the Hershey RV show a few years back. I thought it was a super slick system. When I got my new trailer a few years ago, I ordered the BO hitch. I have not looked back since. I had a Reese Pro Series with Sway control. That thing I was annoying to hook up. The Blue Ox for me is so much easier plus no issues with backing up or unhooking the bars and sway control for that.

We're going to be at the Fort for the entire month of November, plus the first 2 weeks of December. After that we're goint on a cross country trip staying a month each in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada, before heading back east to Michigan.
Well, it looks like we're not going. Lovie wants to cancel due to covid.

I'm thinking we might be jumping the gun.

Im so confused.

Cancel just prior to the point of incurring a fee/penalty for canceling. RVing sounds like the safest travel option available if you need or want to be on the road. Other than dedicated Snowbird campgrounds, however, I don't see Mom & Pop campgrounds being as thorough as FW in cleaning or sanitizing. It's probably safer to boon dock these days versus going for the "resort" environment.

Wifey poo doesn't want to have to go to the nearest piggly-wiggly every 4 days. I told her at least once a week is going to have to work.

On the 94 day trek FL-to-AK (and back) summer of 2018, significant other actually enjoyed seeing how other people shop/live on our weekly grocery runs. Also, well stocked fridge and freezer is more opportunity for loss in the event of power disruptions. Oh wait, those never happen at campgrounds. What am I thinking?

Besides, liquor cabinet can only hold a one week's supply!

Last edited:
The new truck was missing something, but I fixed it.

Now we are ready for Disney.

What kind of auxiliary tank is that? I've ogled auxiliary tanks for years. I think I might finally make the leap when I buy a new truck in a year or two. The thought of packing 80 gallons or more while pulling 40+ foot of trailer in the boonies sounds a lot better than 36.

What kind of auxiliary tank is that? I've ogled auxiliary tanks for years. I think I might finally make the leap when I buy a new truck in a year or two. The thought of packing 80 gallons or more while pulling 40+ foot of trailer in the boonies sounds a lot better than 36.
PTP,

It's a RDS 60 gallon tank. We put these in the old truck when I was racing all over the country. It gave us a 800-900 mile range towing the race trailers. (97.5 gallons total capacity). We fab'd up some mounts for them (my team mate had a matching truck) that elevated the tank off the bed so we could still slide boards or plywood underneath. Here's a pic of the tag on the tank and the mount we welded up from some scrap angle iron we had in the shop. We made it just high enough to fit under the bed rails so we could roll a tonneau cover over. I swapped it into the new truck before we went to the Midwest DISmeet 2 weeks ago. The tank is gravity fed through a coupler in the truck fuel filler.

20200804_185805_copy_2016x1134.jpg

20200804_185752_copy_2016x1134.jpg

j

PTP,

It's a RDS 60 gallon tank. We put these in the old truck when I was racing all over the country. It gave us a 800-900 mile range towing the race trailers. (97.5 gallons total capacity). We fab'd up some mounts for them (my team mate had a matching truck) that elevated the tank off the bed so we could still slide boards or plywood underneath.

I like the elevated mounting. Slick.

Did you have to fiddle with the computer since it's going to read full for 60 some odd gallons?

Did you have to fiddle with the computer since it's going to read full for 60 some odd gallons?
No, we didn't do anything. It is funny watching the Distance to Empty calculation as you drive. It will drop 15 or 20 miles, then jump back up. I always wondered if the computer would get confused, but my old truck had 80k towing miles on it and it never did anything silly.

j

I always wondered if the computer would get confused, but my old truck had 80k towing miles on it and it never did anything silly.

Please update if your newer truck ever blows a sprocket. I feel as cars keep getting more and more easier to drive with technology, but keep getting harder to work on or modify because of all the crap from the OEM that's in the way.

PTP,

My "old" truck was a 2011. Almost identical to the "new" 2016. Same engine and transmission, although more HP and torque. 440/860 vs 400/800. The new truck has nicer stuff on it too. NaV, sunroof, rear window defroster, rear seat heaters. Both were Lariats, but the new one is a "Lariate Ultimate". It also has airbags, a front receiver hitch, tinted windows and window visors. Overall a nice upgrade from my old one that was getting tired from 120,000 miles of towing 15,000- 21,000 lb trailers around for 10 years.

I like the looks of the newer F350s (2017-up), but I didn't like the price. This 2016 only had 46,000 miles on it when I bought it.

j

It's been a while since anyone posted here.

I bought some new truck tires yesterday for the new (to me) F350 dually I picked up over the Summer. It is a 2016 that only had 46,000 miles on it. The front tires were new, but the rears (all 4) are getting close to the wear indicators. I started looking around for new tires, dreading the $250 a piece I was expecting.

I started looking for good LT truck tires like I have bought in the past. Firestone used to make an HT truck tire that was great and cheap, but I can't find them anymore. The set I had on my last truck I really liked. They were Yokohama Geolander G015. Great tire and they are under $200 a piece. Then I remembered the Sailun G-rated trailer tires I bought for the camper. They are amazing if you have a big heavy trailer and are half the price of a similar Goodyear. The factory support, if you have questions, was also fantastic.

The only place I can find Sailun tires is online at Simple Tire. It just so happens there is a Sailun LT245/75/17 E tire with an AT profile (all terrain) for my truck. Reviews on them were great. (4.7/5 for 47 reviews) They normally run $259/ each (ouch), but Simple Tire is running a "12 Days of Christmas" sale and they are 38% off. That makes them $152 a piece. There was also a $32 discount at checkout for their "12 Days of Christmas" that mostly covered the tax. There are 4 in the mail that should be here by the end of the week. I still have to pay for mounting/balance, but it is still hundreds less than Goodyear, BF Goodrich or even the Yokos I like. I'm not sure if I will put these on before my NC trip in January since the current tires aren't quite down to the wear indicators (likely will), but I have them.

I'll let you know how I like them.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!