Trump coming to Grand Floridian 12/7?

I have been at hotels for both a Presidential address (Obama) and a Vice Presidential address (Biden). Both times, those places were locked down tight as a drum. Elevators were taken out of service. Parking lot was secured. Entire sections of the hotels were completely off limits. After a certain time, you could leave the building but wouldn't be able to re-enter until the event was over. The extent of the security is quite impressive. And that doesn't even count the advance team that sweeps the building prior to the arrival of the Pres or VP.

I have been at hotels for both a Presidential address (Obama) and a Vice Presidential address (Biden). Both times, those places were locked down tight as a drum. Elevators were taken out of service. Parking lot was secured. Entire sections of the hotels were completely off limits. After a certain time, you could leave the building but wouldn't be able to re-enter until the event was over. The extent of the security is quite impressive. And that doesn't even count the advance team that sweeps the building prior to the arrival of the Pres or VP.

yes, i've experienced it for both presidential and vice-presidential visits during the clinton administration..
the level of security on and off the roads was beyond anything i possibly imagined!!!

Having longtime employment with a law enforcement agency that included a Bomb Squad (including K-9's), and Emergency Management/Homeland Security sections, plus being in the NY metro area, so having numerous visits by all levels of governments (from all over), and many other VIP;'s, I can vouch. ;)

I had plans to leave for airport at 5:30 pm for a 7:30 pm flight. Luckily I had reserved the room for whole night and was just planning on leaving early and having a room for day. I saw Trump was coming and rescheduled my flights till next day as I have experienced first hand the disruption caused by President or vice president. Its exciting to meet them but a pain if you get delayed and delayed and miss connecting flights. It can't be helped so I decided to be proactive. Doubt even people staying at Grand will get to see much as they keep a wide birth normally out of security fears .

Doubt even people staying at Grand will get to see much as they keep a wide birth normally out of security fears .
For sure. I didn't see Obama's arrival as I was already in the ballroom where he was going to be speaking but I did see Biden's arrival. He came in a back service entrance. Prior to his arrival, they set up an opaque black fabric tunnel long enough to hold the whole motorcade. The cars then arrived and pulled into that. The black tunnel extended all the way to the door into the building which took him through back service passages to the stage where he was speaking. He was never out in the open in any unsecured area. So if anyone is expecting to see Trump stroll through the GF lobby, fuhgeddaboudit. Unless you are attending the event he is there for, you aren't likely to even get a glimpse.

I have been at hotels for both a Presidential address (Obama) and a Vice Presidential address (Biden).

Wow that's awesome! Was it a coincidence both times or were you there specifically to hear them speak (I don't know if it was even a thing the general public could see).

Where did they each speak? I know Obama spoke in front of the Castle (which I still think is so cool) but I didn't know he also spoke at one of the resorts.

And I think Michelle also did a speech in Disney... pretty sure at the Boardwalk Inn.

I have been at hotels for both a Presidential address (Obama) and a Vice Presidential address (Biden).
Wow that's awesome! Was it a coincidence both times or were you there specifically to hear them speak (I don't know if it was even a thing the general public could see).

Where did they each speak? I know Obama spoke in front of the Castle (which I still think is so cool) but I didn't know he also spoke at one of the resorts.
Sorry if that wasn't clear. These didn't occur at WDW. They were featured speakers at a convention I was attending. Obama spoke to our group in 2011 at the Gaylord National in National Harbor, MD. Biden spoke to us in 2015 at the Marriott World Center in Orlando, so close to WDW but not actually on property. So yes, I was there specifically to see them.

I highly doubt it. The security logistics..yeesh. But if he really wanted to go to Magic Kingdom I doubt anyone would say "no".
I was in WDW once when the President came. George H.W. Bush spoke outside American Adventure in Epcot. I think it was on the 20th anniversary in 1991. As I recall, all of World Showcase was blocked off for the duration of his visit.

Sorry if I missed it...but would he actually fly into MCO? I don't know what the options are around Orlando, but when he flies to Houston (or any president, for that matter) he does not use our main airports. I think it's more secure and less disruptive when they have cities where they're able to do this.

Sorry if I missed it...but would he actually fly into MCO? I don't know what the options are around Orlando, but when he flies to Houston (or any president, for that matter) he does not use our main airports. I think it's more secure and less disruptive when they have cities where they're able to do this.
When the POTUS comes to Philadelphia, they use PHL. It always creates a traffic mess on I-95 because they maintain a 3-mile security zone in front of and behind the motorcade.

I don't know about MCO. Generally, they land the plane far away from the passenger terminal though.

Sorry if that wasn't clear. These didn't occur at WDW. They were featured speakers at a convention I was attending. Obama spoke to our group in 2011 at the Gaylord National in National Harbor, MD. Biden spoke to us in 2015 at the Marriott World Center in Orlando, so close to WDW but not actually on property. So yes, I was there specifically to see them.

Ahh.... yeah that makes more sense. I was thinking maybe you plan your trips to Disney around its presidential speeches schedule!

Hmm that's interesting. When Obama and W. came to Buffalo, they both used the regular airport.

And to echo what Steve said about the traffic mess, he ain't kidding! I went to see Obama at a place that is normally 10 minutes away from my house. I think it took me an hour to get home that day!

Will be interesting to see if Disney has any of these traffic issues. Free fastpass for presidential disruption??

When the POTUS comes to Philadelphia, they use PHL. It always creates a traffic mess on I-95 because they maintain a 3-mile security zone in front of and behind the motorcade.

I don't know about MCO. Generally, they land the plane far away from the passenger terminal though.

It just crossed my mind since the POTUS always uses Ellington in Houston and keeps IAH and HOU open for standard air traffic. He may use MCO in Orlando.

Will be interesting to see if Disney has any of these traffic issues.
They could land at MCO and then take Marine One right onto Disney property but I doubt they'll do that. They'll probably take the motorcade onto 417 to WDW. So yes, it will create a traffic mess on property while the motorcade is in motion.

Oh - duh! I forgot. I did have a sitting President, Jimmy Carter, attend my Boot Camp Graduation in Orlando in October, 1978, because I graduated on the Navy's birthday, and he was there for that (being former Navy himself)! :) I did not see him, except as I passed VERY quickly, as we did an "eyes right" and then a "hand salute" while marching in review. :)

President Reagan also attended the recommisioning of the Battleship USS New Jersey (ironic, for me, as I live here now, and have been aboard her!) :) in 1982, at my duty station of Long Beach, CA. I did not see him either, I was too far away. But as they played "Colors" (you had to stop on a dime if you were anywhere outside, no matter where. If in uniform, you had to salute, if in "civvies" put hand over heart), I did all that and promptly broke into proud tears, as I saw the flag being raised next to her 16" guns. :)

Wow - that REALLY brought me BACK!!! :)

Last edited:
President Reagan also attended the recommisioning of the Battleship USS New Jersey (ironic, for me, as I live here now, and have been aboard her!)
The New Jersey is docked about 10 miles from my house and less than 5 from my old office.

We did see George W. Bush very briefly while he was on the campaign trail in Philadelphia. We were not fans so didn't stop. We just happened to be walking past where he was speaking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!