Trying to Become a Runner - Comments Welcome

#1hoosierfan

DIS Veteran
Tomorrow is Day 1 of my journey. I don't have time to post much tonight, but I am holding myself accountable. Tomorrow (Monday) I begin.

I have "run" 3 half-marathons. Using the term running because there was much more walking than running going on. My last was the Princess in February 2015.

I have tried the couch to 5k a few times but could never get past weeks 3-4. I can complete exercise classes at the gym like Insanity but cannot sustain running for any period of time without stopping to walk. I do need to lose some weight too....

I found a "training plan" on a runner's blog. You increase your running time by 30 seconds each time until you can run for 30 minutes straight.

The plan goes a follows.... Run/walk for 30 minutes begin day 1 by walking 5 minutes, running 30 seconds, finish out the 30 minutes with walking. I did days 1 and 2 already this week. I'm on the treadmill because we are having a crazy heatwave right now. My walking portion is just under a 16 minute mile and my running portion is a 12:45.... Slow, I know, but the logic is that after you have a base of running, you can work on speed. I threw in a few more 30 run intervals yesterday because I was feeling really good. I will finish out week 1 tomorrow and Saturday.

Last edited:
I have been running for a little over 3 years with the goal to run no more than a 5k. I'm currently training for my second marathon. I still clearly remember that first day I put on my running shoes and downloaded a couch to 5k app. I thought I was going to die during the 60 second run intervals, but I convinced myself I could do anything for 30 minutes. I kept up that mantra for a long time, and it held true. I could do anything for 30 minutes then 60 minutes ... now up to 4 hours. I hated every second of running for the first couple of years, but I loved the result. I lost a ton of weight quickly, and I felt better (after my runs) than I had felt in years. I now love running and am still amazed at what my body can accomplish. Good luck on your journey. I hope you grow to love it too!

90% of my time in the Disboards is either in someone's training, race trip reports, and the running thread.

I started at run 30 sec, walk 2. It's been about 7 years for me, but I am working on the speedier part now. I've read almost everything Jeff Galloway has written. Right now I'm reading and training via Hanson ideas. But connecting running w Disney has been such a great motivator for me! Good luck!

I started with C25K and while I still can't complete a 5k is 30 minutes, it got me into running (as well as finding out I could run races at Disney!)
I started running was I was 283 lbs. I'm at 174 right now I've run 3 half marathons in addition to a few 5ks and 5-milers. I'm still not "fast" but I can run most of a 5K without having to take a walk break and maintaining a 12/13 minute-mile pace. It's been a long process but I've had fun along way. Persistence (and a sweet running playlist) helped me the most. Keep at it, you'll do great!

How is the running going? I would like to add a few comments if I may. I would suggest sticking with a couch to 5k plan, they are designed by folks with plenty of knowledge and honestly they work well. Like your other plan, the end result is similar, with being able to run non stop for ~30 minutes. Which in theory is enough training to get you to complete a 5k without stopping to walk. I know the feeling you are experiencing about extending the running time, but by the time you get a few weeks into the program, the time running becomes more of a mental barrier to cross than a physical one. I'm not saying its physically easy to do, it isn't, but your brain telling you 1,000's of reason on why you should stop is much more difficult to overcome.
I would also suggest reading and posting questions on "The Running Thread" on the runDisney forum section. The thread has people with a wide variety of experience from beginner to folks who run marathon, Tri's and IM events at various different paces.
(I'll add that I started the thread, but only account for about 2-3% of the content.) Again good luck and keep working at it!

Good luck. I have just started C25k- finished week 1 and finding it hard but enjoyable( once I have completed!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!