Trying to decide between these three hotels for our trip

sgerto

Living in a small world after all
Hey everyone,
Wife and I are going in September and can’t decide between these three hotels to stay at: Best Western Stovall, Candy Cane, or Tropicana.
-We previously stayed at Stovall and loved it. The walk isn’t that far to the downtown Disney entrance but then you have to walk all the way through downtown to get to the esplanade. They only show full sized beds as an option.
-Candy cane I know is a place that is sought after by many people. And they have two queen sized.
-Tropicana seems like its right off the entrance to the esplanade but haven’t heard many things about it.
Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd pick Tropicana because lots of DISers have stayed there and liked it an it's the closest of all 3.

I have stayed off property before and will never do that again. You save so much time using WDW free transportation and the hotels are much nicer. There is nothing like getting out of a park after a long day and getting back to your room in less than a half hour.

I have stayed off property before and will never do that again. You save so much time using WDW free transportation and the hotels are much nicer. There is nothing like getting out of a park after a long day and getting back to your room in less than a half hour.

This is the Disneyland forum and OP is asking about hotels around DLR which is a whole different animal than WDW :)

OP- I've never stayed at Stovall but have stayed at Candy Cane and Tropicana. I would pick Tropicana- we loved the location and rooms are clean and bright (though not huge). I guess I need to give CCI another try since it has a loyal following here (so does the Trop, though) but I just didn't love it. The room seemed very dark and while the shuttle bus from CCI is a nice perk I'd rather the short walk to the Tropicana. To be fair, CCI is not a horrible walk either but it's hard to beat the "crosswalk hotels" like Tropicana. CCI does include breakfast while Tropicana does not, though the Trop has a decent coffee bar and little market you can grab something while on the way to the park (also very close to Panera and McDonalds if you prefer that).

Our top choices are the Tropicana and The Candy Cane. You really can’t go wrong with either. I usually just chose the one that’s cheaper for our dates.
Edited to add that we’ve also stayed at the Stovalls and it’s a nice place, it’s just too far for us at the end of the night.

Keep in mind you may want to book a refundable on-property room as a backup just in case. There's a lot of speculation that as they restrict park attendance, on-site guests will have priority so it might be worth having the on-site option if you are serious about making the trip. Just something to think about.

I’ve stayed at the Tropicana a couple times and no complaints here. The short walk is the biggest benefit for me. Clean rooms, friendly staff.

Hey everyone,
Wife and I are going in September and can’t decide between these three hotels to stay at: Best Western Stovall, Candy Cane, or Tropicana.
-We previously stayed at Stovall and loved it. The walk isn’t that far to the downtown Disney entrance but then you have to walk all the way through downtown to get to the esplanade. They only show full sized beds as an option.
-Candy cane I know is a place that is sought after by many people. And they have two queen sized.
-Tropicana seems like its right off the entrance to the esplanade but haven’t heard many things about it.
Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Of the three on your list I have only stayed at the Tropicana.
It is one of our go-to places to stay on a trip.
If you are staying 5 or more nights be sure to sign up for the Special and save.
The location is so convenient!

If we aren't going to use the pool then the Desert Inn & Suites is another one we will book.
Booking WAY AHEAD of time, the rates can be as low as $89 per night.
In Dec 2020 I booked a room at DI&S for the last week of August for $89/nt.
DI&S is also close to the cross walk.

CCI is one of our go-to hotels off site. We book the Premium Rooms (larger, amenities basket, free breakfast delivered to the room each morning, DVD player, small fridge, microwave, etc.) -- worth it for the extra space and breakfast delivery! CCI offers a variety of discounts, so check to see if you qualify for something. The private shuttle is a great convenience (it runs on time and the drivers are friendly), but the walk to the Harbor entrance is only about 10 minutes or so. Property is well kept up, rooms are clean (Premium rooms have never been dark!), parking is free, breakfast is generous, customer service is great. Having two convenience stores next door helps for snacks, drinks, or in case you forget to pack something,
But you can't really go wrong with your other two choices -- plenty of posters like both those hotels! This thread from the stickies at the top of the first page has lots of good info: "Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/.

We also like Candy Cane Inn for off property. Yes, it's a bit farther but a very easy walk to the gates or the bonus option of their reliable private shuttle. Agree with above... nice property, generous breakfast, clean and great customer service !

Of your three, we've stayed at Candy Cane Inn. We really liked it and prefer it over the Fairfield that we stayed in last time. Before we stayed at Candy Cane we thought we'd walk to the parks in the AM and take their shuttle back in the PM because we'd be so tired. Well each day when we came out of our room to head to the parks their shuttle was just loading up so we hopped on. Then at the end of each day we didn't feel like waiting in the bus area, so we just walked back and it was no big deal, because it's really not that far! We are eyeing a fall trip to DLR that we'd book rather last minute, and Candy Cane will be our top choice if we do go. Enjoy your planning!

Thank you everyone for your input! :tilt: Great info for both Trop and CCI.
What to decide, what to decide.... Tropicana is right across the street, but no breakfast. CCI has a bit of a walk, but there's the shuttle option and the breakfast.

Of the three you've mentioned I've stayed at both the Stovall's and the Candy Cane. I really liked the Stovall's and had a good experience there but compared to the Candy Cane the walk is long, especially since you can't cut through the Grand Californian anymore in the morning. I liked that the Candy Cane also offered a shuttle and their breakfast was better than Stovall's too. The Stovall's had a better pool area though. Both were very clean and I felt safe at both of them. I've never tried the Tropicana but of the CC or Stovall's I'd pick Candy Cane.

The only place we stay off property is the CCI. We do the premium rooms for the added space and breakfast delivery in the morning. It's so nice to sit at the table in our room and have breakfast while we take turns showering and getting ready. Great time saver in the morning.

The only place we stay off property is the CCI. We do the premium rooms for the added space and breakfast delivery in the morning. It's so nice to sit at the table in our room and have breakfast while we take turns showering and getting ready. Great time saver in the morning.
Doesn't it make such a difference? Such a nice treat, and it helps save time when you're trying to get everyone ready for the parks in the morning! Then, if the ones who get ready first still are hungry, we send them to the breakfast room with the grandparents and meet them there when everyone else is ready.

Doesn't it make such a difference? Such a nice treat, and it helps save time when you're trying to get everyone ready for the parks in the morning! Then, if the ones who get ready first still are hungry, we send them to the breakfast room with the grandparents and meet them there when everyone else is ready.
It makes it feel like a very special treat. Room service without the hefty price tag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!