trying to decide on a pre-vacation solo trip

skyblue17

DIS Veteran
I'm on the fence about a possible, very quick, solo trip to Disney ahead of a trip to the Caribbean.

Basically, I'm nervous about flying south in late January after having a pretty anxiety-ridden experience last winter when the Bomb Cyclone hit the northeast. I had a JetBlue flight that was canceled and only because I was quick enough to think to do so, booked one of a few remaining seats on a Caribbean Airlines flight for the next day. If I hadn't, my Friday flight would not have gotten me to Montego Bay until MONDAY, for an event that was ending Wednesday. As it was, my Saturday flight was delayed eight hours and I didn't land in Montego Bay until midnight.

So. This year, I'm considering flying to Orlando two days ahead of time, staying somewhere in the bubble and getting a park ticket for a day. However, since I'm solo, I'd really love to keep this from being a. complicated and b. expensive. I'd love to have the cheapest possible option from the airport to the park, a pretty good deal on a room and the most bang for my buck on a park ticket.

As of now, my guess is that I should stay at a value and get a park-hopper so that I can visit more than one park in my single day. However, I'm not super up-to-date on park hours in January, or if planning to bus from one to the other (likely Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom) makes sense from one certain hotel property.

I'm certainly planning to dig into this a little deeper on my own but thought I'd put this out there for advise from those who knows best as well! Does this sound like a realistic plan? Is being nervous about northeast weather a good reason to basically complicate my flight plans by adding in additional flying? Can I do this without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about a possible, very quick, solo trip to Disney ahead of a trip to the Caribbean.

Basically, I'm nervous about flying south in late January after having a pretty anxiety-ridden experience last winter when the Bomb Cycle hit the northeast. I had a JetBlue flight that was canceled and only because I was quick enough to think to do so, booked one of a few remaining seats on a Caribbean Airlines flight for the next day. If I hadn't, my Friday flight would not have gotten me to Montego Bay until MONDAY, for an event that was ending Wednesday. As it was, my Saturday flight was delayed eight hours and I didn't land in Montego Bay until midnight.

So. This year, I'm considering flying to Orlando two days ahead of time, staying somewhere in the bubble and getting a park ticket for a day. However, since I'm solo, I'd really love to keep this from being a. complicated and b. expensive. I'd love to have the cheapest possible option from the airport to the park, a pretty good deal on a room and the most bang for my buck on a park ticket.

As of now, my guess is that I should stay at a value and get a park-hopper so that I can visit more than one park in my single day. However, I'm not super up-to-date on park hours in January, or if planning to bus from one to the other (likely Magic Kingdom to Animal Kingdom) makes sense from one certain hotel property.

I'm certainly planning to dig into this a little deeper on my own but thought I'd put this out there for advise from those who knows best as well! Does this sound like a realistic plan? Is being nervous about northeast weather a good reason to basically complicate my flight plans by adding in additional flying? Can I do this without breaking the bank?

Thanks!
Sometimes in January Magic Kingdom closes at 8. You can count on at least 12 hours of park time, maybe a few more hours on certain days.

Sometimes in January Magic Kingdom closes at 8. You can count on at least 12 hours of park time, maybe a few more hours on certain days.

Thanks, that's good to know! Twelve hours would probably be enough but would at least help me decide on how much hopping would be realistic.

I was looking at the packages and it looks like a two-night stay only offers a two-day hopper, which I wouldn't be interested in as I don't think there'd be enough time on my travel day + available park hours to make it worth the extra expense. Hmmm. I'll have to do some math.

Sorry I can't help with the weather/flight issues but I have traveled solo to WDW before and know what it's like to be borderline obsessed on being on a budget and overall convenience. I've always stayed at POP because it's a value resort and it's still within the Disney bubble. Of course there are cheaper options elsewhere and many of those resorts/hotels have larger rooms but I also factor in cost of transportation. With Magical Express, bus to/from airport is taken care of. Also bus to/from the parks. Outside hotels are more tricky and less consistent with park transportation. Also I like the fact that POP has a food court so I don't have to venture out to find a place to eat if not in the parks.
By staying onsite, you can maximize your time by using EMH. If I had just one day I would buy a 1 day PH and do EMH at the designated park and then skip to another park where I would have reserved my FP's. Also to note that hours may not be lengthy at the parks in January but you also don't have the large crowds either. Not saying it's going to be dead but a lot less people than the summers/holidays. You'll get a lot done. USE THE SINGLE RIDER LINES! I think most of the rides that offer SRL also offer FP's so you can save that FP to use for something else.
Whether you do Disney or not I hope you have a fun trip in the Caribbean!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter