trying to figure when to go next year--less crowds?????!!!

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
we usually go the end of Jan beginning of Feb for a week

this year we went Jan 29 to feb 6--parks seemed a slight bit busier then I would have thought but then we got home it was mentioned that it was some fort of football deal--pro bowl?? super bowl???some sort of bowl on the Jan 27

so Im leaning more towards the beginning of feb possibly the 4 th through 7th (most of the time we get good air flying tues to tues) only this year we added a day since coming home on the feb 5 would have been 364$!!! PP by adding the day it was only $99

Im trying to stay away from MLK day--whatever bowl is going on--presidents day--basically any day that would uptick the crowds--

so which week would anyone of feel would be the best--and why

were DVC members so our 11 month window is opening soon

also since we usually fly tues to tues what are your thoughts on flying other days

thanks all

We were there Jan 26-Feb 1, and we thought the crowds were pretty good during the morning on the weekdays (Monday-Thursday). Except Animal Kingdom. For some reason AK always feels crowded, at least in the Pandora and Africa areas. The crowds at MK were really light on Sunday, Jan 27th in the morning when there was EMH and it rained all day.

We were just there Feb 3-12. It was a great trip but I wouldn’t call it super low crowds. There was even a 5 min wait for People Mover! I have only seen that before on our Columbus Day weekend trips! Personally the lowest crowds I have seen were on our last week of April/first week of May trip in 2018.

Unfortunately, there is a new bowl coming in late fall. It's called Star Wars Has Killed All Low Crowds Forever Bowl, SWHKALCFB for short. In all seriousness, choose a week that works best for your family and go with it.
:D If I may differ, it's not so much as a bowl, I would say more like a fully armed and operational orb, I mean land....

OP basically plan for super high crowds, have a plan and enjoy the madness

Many years ago we used to think the same way---- which month will be the slowest, that's when we will plan to go!

Then that way of thinking changed to---- ok, it is always crowded, let's plan our individual days so we can maximize our time.

In other words, we were there very early, at rope drop, did as much as we could, then we would leave midday for a break during the BUSY time of day, and then we'd return early evening and spend the nighttime there.

Tomorrowland at MK was always slower in the mornings vs the night, and Fantasyland was always slower at night vs the mornings. Ifnit's raining hit the parks anyways, crowds thin out. Instead of getting a spot for a parade, we noticed the lines got smaller. Just a personal observation, and we have treated all 4 parks this way ever since. It is always busy, but there are better times during each day.

OP, if you figure out a time when the crowds are low, let us know. I've been searching for such a time myself.

We went the first week of February in 2018 and the crowds were huge. 30 minute FP waits, hard to walk through the area between Small World and Peter Pan, outdoor queue ropes for Figment, and outdoor queue ropes and 30 minute wait for guest services kind of busy! Even before RD at Epcot, the lines at the tapstiles were already all the way back to the ticket booths! There were a lot of folks speaking Portuguese and Spanish, so the South Americans were there in full force. I can't recommend this week any more, since it was the most crowded of our last three trips.

Disney has succeeded in keeping attendance up, but it has resulted in large crowds and, IMHO, a diminished experience.

I've heard September after Labor Day isn't as busy, but you will still be dealing with the heat of summer.

We went Feb 5-13 this year, and sorry to say, but the days of "low crowds" I think are gone. Lower crowds, yes but not low. Compared to years past when we would go anywhere from the last two weeks of Jan to the first two weeks of Feb it is much more crowded than it used to be. However, I did notice is was slightly better with this year's date compared to last year when we went Jan 23-30. We are going for a few nights in the beginning of May also, which is sometimes slightly better anymore, but with higher heat. I shall see though, lol.

I would find a time that works well for your family. Have a plan. I always go into my trips expecting insane crowds so
lower crowd levels seem like a bonus. I don't think any of us can predict the degree to which SWGE will affect things other
than to say it will be significant.

I think people are really over hyping Galaxy's Edge, yes it will bring some crowds, but remember they are opening an identical version at Disneyland as well, so that will draw many people there as well and reduce the impact.

In other words it isn't going to be as significant of an impact as everyone is making it out to have, yes it will make Hollywood Studios a bit busier for a while, but overall most of that crowd will go to Galaxy's Edge leaving a good chunk of the park fairly empty, especially early in the day.

FWIW, the pro bowl doesn't really impact crowds at the parks. Not in a way that's noticeable. If you experienced longer waits than you expected, it could just be the result of a normal attendance increase due to the economy, or another event at WDW. We were there the same week in 2018 and thought crowds and waits were great, especially compared to our two other recent trips in August and October.

It is highly unlikely to be low crowds for a very long time with Star Wars opening. Expect a high crowd no matter what date you pick.

WDW has posted a 8-10 percent increase of guests every year for the past 5 years. They expect to see that increase 100% with the new Star Wars attraction. Lets do the math. 10 percent of last years 44 million visitors means an additional 4.4 million guests to the parks. If you double that projection, we can expect an increase of 8.8 million visitors over last year. There is no down time any more. Just 10 years ago we could go to the parks not needing fast passes like you need today or dining reservations. Ah for the good ole days.

I just have a hard time with these dire predictions. I know quite a few rabid Star Wars fans, none of them are planning a trip at this time. Everyone else I know has no idea Disney is evening opening this land.

Yes, the Star Wars weekends are crowded with fans, but that's one weekend and everyone comes at same time. Outside of the park opening, everyone isn't going to schedule their trip at the same time.

Yes, I think first couple months at DHS will be crazy, and I think the new rides will have hours long waits for years, but I don't think it will be a madhouse everywhere else, just normal to a bit higher crowds.

Just my opinion!

OP - we are going first/second week of May 2020. May The Force Be With Us! :D

I just have a hard time with these dire predictions. I know quite a few rabid Star Wars fans, none of them are planning a trip at this time. Everyone else I know has no idea Disney is evening opening this land.

Yes, the Star Wars weekends are crowded with fans, but that's one weekend and everyone comes at same time. Outside of the park opening, everyone isn't going to schedule their trip at the same time.

Yes, I think first couple months at DHS will be crazy, and I think the new rides will have hours long waits for years, but I don't think it will be a madhouse everywhere else, just normal to a bit higher crowds.

Just my opinion!

OP - we are going first/second week of May 2020. May The Force Be With Us! :D

We're all far better off preparing for the worst though. I'll be sweating to death in July 2020...I already told my husband he'll have to drag me out of Galaxy's Edge.

Farro - not disagreeing, but add this to the calculus: the Pandora rides STILL have multi-hour wait times - for a movie - what - 10+ years old that way fewer people saw/are fans of than the Star Wars juggernaut of movies/tv shows/etc. If either of the GE rides are as good as FOP - which is the reason I think the waits are still so long - then the waits will be multi-hours for years too.

I.e., its how great/novel the ride FoP is that (I think) causes the long waits after the initial opening. Not its Avatar theme.

I had never even seen Avatar (or even knew what it was about) when I rode FoP, and I was instantly hooked. I'm guessing that's true for the vast majority of people waiting 1-3 hours for FoP. I don't really like SW movies, but will go on the GE rides for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter