Trying to help plan 5 y.o. niece's FIRST TRIP! on her single mom's budget - help with hotel options!

NurseJamie

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since I planned a WDW trip! My single mom part-time employed SIL wants to take my niece (who will be 5) to WDW this fall and has asked me for some help. Trip will be 4 adults total and one child, but DH and I will be booking our own part of the trip. I have been to WDW myself about 7 or 8 times, but haven't gone with kids. It's also been 4 or 5 years since I have made a really good long trip to WDW, so things have changed since I was last there. I have experienced All Star Movies, both Port Orleans resorts, and Coronado Springs. I love POFQ and consider that my WDW "home", but at nearly twice the expense of the value resorts, am wondering how that fits in my SIL's budget.

So I am here looking for help/advice on a kid-friendly (i.e. great pool, love the extras like movie nights, etc) hotel that isn't $500 a night. My niece is so much fun but like a lot of younger kids, doesn't have a ton of patience, so I worry that the crowdedness of the AllStar buses might be overwhelming to her and start each day off a little more cranktastic than I'd prefer. So for Value resorts, I am leaning more toward PopCentury. Any thoughts? How are the buses? And the pool?

Also considering booking one of the family suites I have heard about... Anyone have any experience sharing one of the family suites with in-laws? We get along well - but we don't live together. I'm thinking separate rooms so we can take a break from each other a few hours a day might not be a bad thing...

I also have a Disney Visa so am encouraging my SIL to wait for the room deals to come out for the fall and I can book the whole thing on my card for the deal. SIL is considering an early October trip, so hoping there will be some sort of deal by then.

Thanks for reading this far - I really appreciate any advice you guys may have! We're not trying to bare bones this trip, but really make it as affordable as possible.

I would look at Pop or a Little mermaid room at AOA. The AOA pool is considered one of the best, and the LM units are over the top and perfect for a girl that age. They are almost never discounted but I would expect very little for discounts for early October and Columbus Day.

I would look at Pop or a Little mermaid room at AOA. The AOA pool is considered one of the best, and the LM units are over the top and perfect for a girl that age. They are almost never discounted but I would expect very little for discounts for early October and Columbus Day.
If there is any promo, it will be room only, not free Dining. And your options will be limited.

You mentioned the suites, and I think that’s a good option.

Looks like you would all fit into an AoA suite. You could pay two-thirds of the room cost and take the private bedroom and bathroom. SIL could take the other 2 beds and separate bathroom.

You and DH get private room and SIL gets a big discount on a great resort for tots.

I’ve done suites (not AoA) this way with family and friends and it’s not bad for a short or medium trip.

I would book now to reserve whatever room you decide you can always try to add a discount later, but this way you insure you can have the room you want, this is just how I do it. Some people disagree but if your going no mater what why wait for the discount to reserve? It’s a 200 deposit and with Disney visa it’s 0% financing on Disney vacations.

We stayed at the pop and we thoughts the bus service was great! We didn’t do the pool there so no real comments on that.

Personally when I travel with my sister and we do often I need my own room, a suite would be hard for me. But next year with my husbands cousin I’m debating a suit but leaning towards two rooms. It’s just easier for me to have my own space.

If you can figure AOA somehow, I just think the theming for a 5 yr Olds first trip is much better. It's made for them! Sure POP is great, but , really, a 5 yr. Old doesn't know our past -- what they know is Nemo, Lion King, Cars and LM

I agree with this. I would look at 2 rooms at Pop or 2 rooms in a LM room at AoA. I would probably lean toward Pop with the refurbished rooms and more chance of a discount, plus the LM rooms are quite far from the main areas of AoA. With Pop, you can always walk over to AoA to see the theming. I shared an AoA suite with my sister on one trip and it really wasn't very comfortable. We did much better on trips when we had completely separate rooms.

I think Pop Century is a good choice. I know my TA already has discounts available there 10/1-15.

In the past, Pop hasn't been my favorite, but the newly refurbished rooms look really cool and the All Stars are in need of a room refurbishment, which is coming. Pop usually has some sort of discount. However, I have had better bus experiences at the All Stars than at Pop. Pop is just so much bigger and only has one bus stop. The All Stars don't always share buses either and Music and Sports will probably be discounted more than Movies or Pop.

I would hesitate on The Little Mermaid rooms only because I keep reading about how far away they are from everything, terrible cell reception, etc... honestly I haven't read much good about them and they are rarely/never discounted. The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite movies and I always want to try things myself before making a judgement. I just don't feel good about them as far as trying it for a first Disney trip.

I have stayed in the AOA suites with family and I wouldn't recommend it for the OP. They are really well done and functional but the set up can be tricky for more than one family. You mentioned 4 adults so that would mean OP and DH in the bedroom which is very small but does have its own bathroom. Once the SIL, her SO (?) and niece are in for the night in the main area the sofa bed will be pulled out and the table as well making it difficult to get to the sink and coffee etc. You will also have to walk past sleeping folks in the am or pm if your schedules are different.

Alternately two rooms at Pop or one of the other values will give you your own exit/entrance, bathroom and much more privacy for both parties! We don't mind the buses and have never had long waits except for leaving a park after fireworks, honestly we think the PoP and AOA buses are among the best along with POFQ. IIRC all the resorts have some sort of pool games in the afternoon and a movie at night so no worries there.

If you think she can swing a moderate we LOVE POFQ, if you could get adjoining or connecting rooms that would be my @1 pick. Its a small resort with a great pool area, good food court, boat to springs, imho among the best bus service and lots to do for kids including the activities at POFQ as well as POR.

We love thd mods, I'd love to stay at a deluxe. When we finally get the go ahead to take my great nephews, it's All Star Movies all the way. They are 5 and 3 years old. The mods wouldn't mean anything to them. The All Stars tho' will be a Disney dream come true, just like it was for me, the first time I evrr stayed on site. Our only other option would be to get a suite at AoA but thats if his dad came too. I hope you and family have an amazing time where ever you land!

plus the LM rooms are quite far from the main areas of AoA.
I would hesitate on The Little Mermaid rooms only because I keep reading about how far away they are
According to this poster https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...imation_Walking_Distance-Orlando_Florida.html on Trip Advisor, it's 1/4 mile. In compwriso , one loop around World Showcase is 1.3 miles. A football field is 2/3 the distance - and according to the same person, slightly shorter routing is possible.

Once the SIL, her SO (?) and niece
No SO. Three adults, one child.

According to this poster https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...imation_Walking_Distance-Orlando_Florida.html on Trip Advisor, it's 1/4 mile. In compwriso , one loop around World Showcase is 1.3 miles. A football field is 2/3 the distance - and according to the same person, slightly shorter routing is possible.

No SO. Three adults, one child.

OP says 4 adults one child...

"Trip will be 4 adults total and one child, but DH and I will be booking our own part of the trip"

........I worry that the crowdedness of the AllStar buses might be overwhelming to her and start each day off a little more cranktastic than I'd prefer. So for Value resorts, I am leaning more toward PopCentury. Any thoughts? How are the buses?

As far as crowded buses, in our experiences at all levels of resorts, the buses are loaded until they are standing-room only, so it wouldn't matter which resort you stayed at for that. At least POP had corrals to lend some orderliness before boarding, unlike the moderates and deluxe resorts, where it's every man for himself.

What the priority? If it’s price then stay at a value. It’s much cheaper. Your niece isn’t going to know anything else. There are lots of kids there and she will have fun. The pool is full of kids, there are games and movies.

Wow this is kind of weird because it’s so similar to our situation. We are taking our niece and my SIL in 9 days for both of their first trips. My SIL is a single mom so we had to plan around her budget. Dh and I have never been with kids before. All we knew going in was we wanted a value resort. I honestly don’t even consider AoA a value with how much the rooms cost there. We ended up going with pop and arrive in 9 days. I am so excited to try our first value resort and see the refurbished rooms!

Thank you for all the advice, everyone! I really appreciate everyone's input and advice - it's hard considering places you haven't experienced yourself, so it was really helpful to hear what everyone else thought about the places I haven't stayed!

We looked at the LM rooms at AOA and while we are excited about Disney, my SIL and I thought the only one who would be really excited about them would be my 5 y.o.niece. The grown-ups might need a little less in-your-face theming. SIL wasn't really sold on Pop, either. I think my MIL is going to chip in a little bit - we booked POFQ in the end. DH and I know it well, it has a great pool, it's smaller in size so my niece doesn't have a meltdown when she realizes she still has to walk all the way back to the room at the end of the day. Hopefully we will get adjoining rooms, and the theming of POFQ is so fun without screaming DISNEY at you constantly.

Thanks again for all your help! Much appreciated!

As an FYI - on a budget - really - picking the cheapest All-Star is JUST FINE. I've taken my niece and SIL a few times now when my niece has been between the ages of 16 months to 8 years old - and she finds something to love about each resort. They are ALL great to her - and she loves Disney. While we've had melt-downs leaving the park (I don't want to go!!!) - we haven't had melt-downs from the bus to the room - and she's been doing that late night bus to room walk since age 5 (no stroller rental at all that trip).

Kids LOVE the big statues at the All-Stars - they think they are cool. So - the theming for them is neat - big, over the top symbols. Bathroom amenities and quality of bed typically don't matter at that age. My niece likes any pool (now - once she discovers pool slides that might change). POFQ is so popular among couples/adults because it feels quaint, romantic, quiet - characteristics typically not as important to kids.

Things I DO think are worth paying for at that age - character meals. Mainly because it means you don't have to wait in line in the parks to see them. The only princesses we have ever waited in line for were Anna/Elsa and Merida (they aren't at a character meal). Other things - my niece cared about "which Disney outfit" she was wearing to the park each day - and her mom could bargain shop for that stuff (just themed T-shirts!) before the trip - so she never begs for clothes/Disney attire while there - she already has it in her brain.

Now - part of this is your trip - so yes - you have to be happy, too. So - if you want POFQ - okay. I'm just saying if you spent less on the room - could you spend more elsewhere?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!