Trying to plan with people who don't like to plan - Fastpass/Rider Swap

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
Hello all!

*Disclaimer: I know Rider Swap and Fastpasses can be controversial. I know some people think you should have a FP+ for each rider and I do respect your opinion (and perhaps that is the case now since I'm not familiar and if that is so please let me know :)). But here, I'm more interested in just a straightforward answer to a specific question and going with what Disney actually allows rather than a debate =)

My husband and I go to Disney every year with our two kids (this year will be 3 & 5).

This year my parents are going. We are so excited!

Our kids are early risers. We have found what works for us is get to the park before opening, rides as well as 3 fastpasses in the morning, then lunch. Then we go back to the resort for the rest of the day so the kids can nap or play in the pool and sleep.

My parents want to go to the parks some days but kind of just want to play it by ear which is great. They don't want to buy tickets in advance. I've explained they might not be able to get the same FP's as us (which is fine) and will probably convince them to get at least a two day park ticket for fast passes but who knows.

So my question is actually related to Rider Swap. My fast pass options for MK for example are Buzz Lightyear, Splash Mountain, and Jungle Cruise. (I'm thinking I *might* be able to get them FP+ for at least some of these close to the same time (day of) since I've gotten FP's for these day of before but no I wouldn't count on it of course).

At least one of my kids is too scared for Splash (the other should be fine). Will my parents be able to ride with one of us using RS if I can't secure a FP+ for them? I'm trying to figure out how I will book FP+ and it's driving me crazy because I want them to ride stuff with us if they're there but don't know if they'll be there.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or any comments on rides they definitely will not be able to use a RS pass for if they don't have a FP+ for the ride?

Thanks in advance.

Keep in mind rider swap only applies to rides where your child doesn’t meet a height restriction. The website states it is also for guests who don’t want to ride(afraid, anxiety, etc) but in reality the CM only give RS for height issues. So no rider swap at Jungle Cruise, Buzz, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, etc because those rides don’t have height restrictions. Here is the list according to Disney’s website:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

Keep in mind rider swap only applies to rides where your child doesn’t meet a height restriction. The website states it is also for guests who don’t want to ride(afraid, anxiety, etc) but in reality the CM only give RS for height issues. So no rider swap at Jungle Cruise, Buzz, Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, etc because those rides don’t have height restrictions. Here is the list according to Disney’s website:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/
Thanks! Sorry I should have been clearer, I wouldn't need rider swap for any of those. I'd hope I could get a FP+ and if not that's all you can do really.

I'm just wondering for rides like Splash, BTMRR, Space Mountain. Would I run into any trouble with RS?

The thing is, I *could* book all 4 FP+ for 7DMT since my kids are *just* tall enough. But if I knew my parent's could use RS on splash I'd rather book that than 7DMT since I've heard they require everyone to have FP+. Either way my kids may or may not ride it but if we booked splash at least we'd know we could ride together if they go (that's if splash is more lenient than 7DMT with RS).

Same at AK. My husband and I would normally book FOP. But if we might have an easier time with RS (if my parents joined us that day) on EE, I'd book that instead.

Just wondering since I know they have tightened the rules on RS a little and it may not work the way it has when we used it in the past.

If both of your kids are technically tall enough for 7DMT (and they will measure to see if your child looks close to the minimum height) they will not give a rider swap. The height requirements are pretty close together for 7DMT (38 inches) and Splash (40 inches) so if you want to use rider swap for splash do double check that your youngest is not 40 inches when wearing shoes.

It used to work that if you had a child under the height limit, you could get a rider swap for up to three non-riders regardless of whether or not the non-riders had FPs. Reports are just really inconsistent these days on whether that is still allowed at any attraction any more. I guess the bottom line is, you might be able to do it, but I would not count on it.

Are you sure your parents even want to ride the rides? Grandparents ages can be across the board. The women my DH works with are really young grandparents while DH and I are older grandparents. We are content to go places and just hang out and not ride things anymore. We still like the rides, but we can be content to just watch the grands. We enjoy sleeping later and meeting up with them. I am retired and DH still works. I sleep late everyday now, but DH gets up early for work so he enjoys sleeping late when he is on vacation and go later in the day or stay at the resort and just meet for dinner.

I would talk to them and see what their plans are before you try to make their plans for them.

Are you sure your parents even want to ride the rides? Grandparents ages can be across the board. The women my DH works with are really young grandparents while DH and I are older grandparents. We are content to go places and just hang out and not ride things anymore. We still like the rides, but we can be content to just watch the grands. We enjoy sleeping later and meeting up with them. I am retired and DH still works. I sleep late everyday now, but DH gets up early for work so he enjoys sleeping late when he is on vacation and go later in the day or stay at the resort and just meet for dinner.

I would talk to them and see what their plans are before you try to make their plans for them.
Thanks for the response! They actually love Disney and have been with us before, and rider swap worked great for us. They are younger grandparents :) I’m just wondering about how it works with the recent changes. I’m not sure it will be as flexible if my kids can’t ride as it has been for us in the past. Unfortunately I know nothing about the new system :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!