TSA precheck

They randomly selected one of my kids for precheck on the way to DC and the other 3 of us on the way home to LAX. I wouldn't pay for it personally. It didn't seem much faster, at least at the times we went though TSA. Taking off our shoes only took a couple minutes.

It's worth it to me. My family all has Global Entry. If you do any international traveling it's the way to go. TSA precheck is part of GE.

If you only fly domestically 1-2 times a year probably not worth it. But if you fly frequently and through large airports that have ungodly long security lines it's fabulous!

I weirdly now always get it for free and I'm not even American! My mum got it for free for our trip in 2014 (3 flights departing in the US) then we both got it free for our trips in 2016 (4 flights) and this year (2 flights). I'm not sure why we get it (as we aren't eligible to pay for it), but I definitely appreciate it! I think I would pay for it if I had a few flights each year - I absolutely hate having to take my shoes off!

I got it after spending 2.5 hours in a TSA line at DTW which caused us to miss our flight (and the associated weekend trip to NYC and all of our $$$). I haven't waited more than 2 minutes since. Best purchase ever.

I have it through Global entry and will gladly pay as long as it is offered.

People who get it for free (printed on the boarding pass not just go this way type) usually have a ton of miles on that airline so the airline flags them as ok.

Having pre isn't just the shoes:
Laptops stay in bags
Light hoodies jackets etc stay on
No body scanner
Usually a much shorter and faster moving line

GE is valid for 5 years, as I said before I can't go back.

I just remembered though, you should check if the airports you usually use actually offer it all the time. Apparently at Newark in the terminal United uses it closes after a certain time (I think 6 or 7pm)! Don't worry though, they'll still torment you with ads for PreCheck while you wait in the security line for an hour!

Global Entry (which includes tsa pre but you'll have to go to an airport for an interview with CBP) all the way. If you only fly 1x/year then maybe it's not worth it.

I fly moderately frequently and I find it so worth it. But I also pay $179/year for Clear (I'm so thrilled at their expansion) since my home airport is a cluster and I'm generally willing to pay a premium for convenience, especially when travel is involved.

Having pre isn't just the shoes:
Laptops stay in bags
Light hoodies jackets etc stay on
No body scanner
Usually a much shorter and faster moving line

GE is valid for 5 years, as I said before I can't go back.

Plus liquids don't have to come out. You still can't have anything over 3.4oz but I haven't used a clear plastic bag in years haha.

It's basically like the old-ish days where it was just your bag on the belt and take the metal out of your pockets.

DH has it to travel for work, and it has saved him a lot of time in faster lines, but I'd say it's only worth it if you fly frequently.

I cannot travel without it now. It's one of those things you can live without. But once you have it it is a necessity.

Of course I am a weekly traveler so it is definitely worth it for me. I love getting to airport 30-40 minutes before flight and also not having to deal with laptops, liquids, shoes, or jackets. Such a time saver.

Global Entry (which includes tsa pre but you'll have to go to an airport for an interview with CBP) all the way. If you only fly 1x/year then maybe it's not worth it.

I fly moderately frequently and I find it so worth it. But I also pay $179/year for Clear (I'm so thrilled at their expansion) since my home airport is a cluster and I'm generally willing to pay a premium for convenience, especially when travel is involved.

I keep hearing about Clear but what makes it so special? I know our baseball stadium has it as well as the local airports but I am having a hard time dropping 179 for Clear when I already paid 100 for Global Entry.

Older people usually get it for free. Not always but a lot of times. My parents always get it for free.

That's been my experience as well. When my mother and I travel, she always gets it. I don't. When my parents travel, they get it. Last year I flew with my mother, Aunt and uncle (mid 50s to early 60s). They all got pre check. I didn't. I actually got through security faster than they did. My aunt and uncle rarely fly and held up the line at the metal detector.

It's definitely worth it for me, the lines are always much shorter in my home airport (Pittsburgh).

I keep hearing about Clear but what makes it so special? I know our baseball stadium has it as well as the local airports but I am having a hard time dropping 179 for Clear when I already paid 100 for Global Entry.

It honestly may not be worth the price if your home airport is reliable in terms of wait time for security and you're not incredibly impatient like me lol. Especially since clear is $179/year not 5 years like GE (though several Visa cards have a cheap first year and discounts after that).

In Disney terms, Pre is like a security fast pass and Clear is a FOTL pass lol. You don't have to have your ID out since you just scan your fingerprints at the kiosk (Clear has a special pre-security lane), then they take you to the front of the security line, either regular or pre.

You get a whole lot of evil side eye but I'm ok with that. Their whole premise is to get you through security in 5 minutes or less.

I actually went and got Global Entry....I do some international travel so its been great. It included Pre Check for me last time.

It honestly may not be worth the price if your home airport is reliable in terms of wait time for security and you're not incredibly impatient like me lol. Especially since clear is $179/year not 5 years like GE (though several Visa cards have a cheap first year and discounts after that).

In Disney terms, Pre is like a security fast pass and Clear is a FOTL pass lol. You don't have to have your ID out since you just scan your fingerprints at the kiosk (Clear has a special pre-security lane), then they take you to the front of the security line, either regular or pre.

You get a whole lot of evil side eye but I'm ok with that. Their whole premise is to get you through security in 5 minutes or less.

Ah I'm at JFK and MCO so don't think I need it. Both have been phenomenal with pre-check.

I love it! It has been great for us at MCO. We always seem to hot security at the wrong time - have waited 45 mins.

So easy when you have small kids

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter