TSA PreCheck

Jack_Sparrow_NJ

DIS Veteran
I have been thinking about apply for TSA PreCheck for myself and family. Just wondering what folks think about it, is it worth it??

It is very handy to have - For us, I got it free from being platinum on a online travel website, we paid for my husband and our kids are under 12, so they are included in his or mine. Once they are 12, I think we are going to Global Entry as it is also accepted more internationally.
All in all, it is quicker thru most every airport and we have enjoyed using it. If everyone was over 12 and we paid full price, I would definitely consider how many times you will use it versus the cost of everyone. Also it takes some time and there are not application places everywhere, so that could factor if you have to drive to get to the place and spend a whole day. The actual application process is very quick once you are at your appointment.

For us it is worth it. Especially on trip down last month. we had a break down on way to airport. If we did not have the PreCheck we would never had made flight. Got to gate and boarded in 5 minutes. We would have been in line for at least 40 - 45 minutes. instead of 10

Definitely for us. We fly out of Orlando International up to 12 times per year. Big time saver on that end. Up in Albany, NY though the TSA line seams to be only open part time. I've timed it a couple of times in Orlando as 7 minutes from the time I step out of the Uber/Lyft till I'm stepping out of the tram at the Southwest gates.

I don't fly that often, but I like it using a wheelchair. Even though getting through the line for unloading my personal items that I carry on my wheelchair and medical items in my backpack might be a bit crowded for me. I do bypass the regular waiting line queue.

I feel it to be one of the best investments, ever. It's especially useful at MCO, where the normal security lines can get very backed up, and the Pre lines move so quickly, that I'm through and on my way to the gate within a few minutes. I also like not having to remove shoes, bag of liquids, tablet, etc., at the checkpoint. That's not to say that they will never pull you over to inspect your bag (they said they had to inspect the contents of my carry-on and found the item that the agent running the x-ray machine questioned - a blunt-point children's scissor). The agent who looked at my bag's contents apologized and said everything was fine.

I also like that I only need to pass through the metal detector and not the full body scanner.

Five years for $85 is well worth it, IMO. My PreCheck will be up for renewal, soon, and I have no doubt that I will be renewing.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

This all depends upon the amount yo8 travel, where you go and the type of traveler you are. I was traveling at least twice a month for work and this allowed me to save a lot of time especially in the busier airports. I will admit that I always arrive way too early and this has allowed me to show up much later for many of the locations such as Orlando. I just had to renew after 5 years of having this and I am happy to see the value for me. My wife only travels once a year so we have not gotten it for her but my kids use to be able to hot through the lines with me. Now that they are getting older we will have to consider it for the rest of the family.

For anyone considering it who lives (or travels) near a Canadian border, get NEXUS. It's cheaper (and free for minors) than precheck or global entry, and gets you both of those things. But it can take longer to get an appointment, you get the pleasure of meeting with American AND Canadian officials, and the interviews are up at border cities (plus at King County airport just south of Seattle).

I have it and really enjoy it, but I fly about 6-12 times per year, so that's 10-20 trips through security checkpoints (it doesn't help on my international travel). My credit card also reimburses me for the expense. If I traveled once a year or so and didn't have it thrown in for free, I wouldn't do it. It's not worth the hassle of going to the interview and paying the money and so on, and chewing up 4+ hours to get it versus waiting an extra 5-15 minutes a dozen times per year.

Question for those with Precheck. We bought it a year ago and I thought at the time it was good for 3 years now it says 5 years. Is ours good for 5 years now or only for those first timers or renewals?

TIA!

Question for those with Precheck. We bought it a year ago and I thought at the time it was good for 3 years now it says 5 years. Is ours good for 5 years now or only for those first timers or renewals?

TIA!
Maybe you were just mistaken? You can log into your account and check the expiration date.

TIA!
The $85 fee has always been good for a five year membership.
Perhaps you are thinking of CLEAR, which is valid for one year, per $179 annual fee (discounts are available).

For anyone considering it who lives (or travels) near a Canadian border, get NEXUS. It's cheaper (and free for minors) than precheck or global entry, and gets you both of those things. But it can take longer to get an appointment, you get the pleasure of meeting with American AND Canadian officials, and the interviews are up at border cities (plus at King County airport just south of Seattle).
Thanks! I forgot about that and we only live three hours from a place they do it.. Thats what I want to do next!

@Jack_Sparrow_NJ, based on your user name, are you flying out of one of the NY/NJ/PA airports regularly? EWR is our "home" airport (LGA is the same distance but a mess right now). We purchased TSA Pre-Check at the end of 2017. Each time we have flown we look at each other and say it was the best $85 pp we have ever spent.

My approval came through within 3 days because at that time I was flying a lot for work and was getting TSA Pre-Check for free on many flights. My husband's took a bit longer. We added our KTNs to our frequent flyer profiles, but it did not update to our existing reservation. We had to call the airline and have the agent add it. Also, since we used the names on our passports (F, M, L), we had to update our frequent flyer profiles and ask the agent to adjust our names on our tickets (no charge to add a middle name).

@Jack_Sparrow_NJ, based on your user name, are you flying out of one of the NY/NJ/PA airports regularly? EWR is our "home" airport (LGA is the same distance but a mess right now). We purchased TSA Pre-Check at the end of 2017. Each time we have flown we look at each other and say it was the best $85 pp we have ever spent.

My approval came through within 3 days because at that time I was flying a lot for work and was getting TSA Pre-Check for free on many flights. My husband's took a bit longer. We added our KTNs to our frequent flyer profiles, but it did not update to our existing reservation. We had to call the airline and have the agent add it. Also, since we used the names on our passports (F, M, L), we had to update our frequent flyer profiles and ask the agent to adjust our names on our tickets (no charge to add a middle name).
Yes, I do fly out of EWR as well. There seem to be more flights out of LGA but it's such a hassle to get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter