TSH range change 6 to 2, how did you feel?

KelleyGirl

Mouseketeer
I FINALLY found an endocrinologist who agrees that a healthy TSH should be 1-2. Mine is currently 6.1 and my PCP wasn't going to adjust my medications because it was only "slightly" elevated and my Free T4 was in range.

Bad news, though, the endo says that going from 6.1 to 1-2 isn't going to make some of my symptoms go away (hair thinning, lethary, cold, weight issues, joint pain, etc). But she completely agrees that she will prescribe a new dose should my recent bloodwork show the same high result.

I am wondering, has anyone here felt better with a medication change that brought their TSH from the ~6 range to 1-2? I'm hopeful, but was a little disappointed to hear the MD say otherwise.

Thanks!

My endo says 0.3-3.0 is normal range.

I first had Hyperthyroiditis then got Hypothyroidism.
My TSH, T3 and T4 have been all over the place.
After I got the Hypothyroidism and then got my TSH back in check where it should be I have not felt an ounce of difference.

I'm not sure why your endo thinks that some of the symptoms won't improve.

My endo also agrees with the range above. My TSH is currently at about .9. I've always kept my TSH a little lower than usual due to having thyroid cancer (part of the protocol). I have had times, though, where my TSH is at 140!! I've also been at 8.0 and felt great (but that was shortly after the 140, so yeah, it was an improvement).

I don't get a lot of symptoms at the range you're in but everyone is different. I would expect you would see some slight improvements.

Also, a TSH of 6 is really *maybe* only going to contribute to a 5 lb overall weight issue. I've seem some real math done on how much thyroid problems slow metabolism and it's really minimal (and disappointing).

I think the way you feel depends a lot on the medication.

I need something like cytomel or a natural alternative to feel better. I saw an endo who only beloved in synthroid. After learning that at the first visit, I left him and never looked back.

I see a functional medicine practitioner and have never felt better.

I've had hashimotis for 40 years now- since I was a child.

Last edited:

I actually don't attribute my weight gain to the thyroid, as much as I attribute the inability to take it off to the thyroid. I've been reading up on joint pain/plantar fasciitis links to thyroid. My lack of motion in my feet is a huge demotivator! I also know that being overweight can cause your feet to feel this way, so yes, there is a lot of "chicken and egg" concepts.

I guess I'm just hoping to improve my mindset, maybe have a little more energy, so I can actually focus on what needs to be done and do it. Also, maybe just konwing that she is acknowledging I could improve the number (only if it is only an improvement in the actual number), I can move on.

The internet can be an evil thing. I had researched and completely talked myself into the fact that all my problems could be traced back to a TSH of 6 and with that improved, so would other things. :sad2:

On the positive side, check it off the list as doing my best to manage and understand my health and move on!

Like Christine, I also had thyroid cancer so my first doctor wanted to keep it really low (less than 1) for a while. Now that I'm 6 years out, my new doctor (I relocated) thought I was too low at .7 so she lowered my synthroid dosage. Now I just got retested after 2 months on the new dose and I am up to 1.1. We will see what she wants to do from here. I was taking 112 mcg 4 days a week and 125 mcg 3 days a week, but now I am only on 112 mcg, but I have no thyroid at all so I'm sure my medication changes will affect me differently than you.

I actually don't attribute my weight gain to the thyroid, as much as I attribute the inability to take it off to the thyroid. I've been reading up on joint pain/plantar fasciitis links to thyroid. My lack of motion in my feet is a huge demotivator! I also know that being overweight can cause your feet to feel this way, so yes, there is a lot of "chicken and egg" concepts.

I guess I'm just hoping to improve my mindset, maybe have a little more energy, so I can actually focus on what needs to be done and do it. Also, maybe just konwing that she is acknowledging I could improve the number (only if it is only an improvement in the actual number), I can move on.

The internet can be an evil thing. I had researched and completely talked myself into the fact that all my problems could be traced back to a TSH of 6 and with that improved, so would other things. :sad2:

On the positive side, check it off the list as doing my best to manage and understand my health and move on!

You won't know if your problems are due to your thyroid or not. They very well could be. I think it's great you are pursuing it. A TSH of 6 is not a great number to be at; however, you do say that your Free T4 was within range so that means something. In some people the feedback loop of the pituitary gland to thyroid levels isn't quite right--that's why a good doctor will never rely on TSH alone as an indicator. My doctor always runs the Free T4. Occasionally, he will run a T3 measurement to be sure I am converting properly. I always am so no need to add T3 to the mix.

You might feel a bit more perky once you get down to 1.0. You could possibly also feel a bit shaky on the way down so be prepared for that. It takes a while to get used to the changes so don't get discouraged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter