Tulum Ruins

TeensMom

Mouseketeer
Our family took the Western cruise in August and visited the Tulum Ruins as our Cozumel excursion. We loved it and I've previously posted on that.

A couple of weeks ago, my daughter and I went to give blood at the Red Cross. The nurse was going down the long list of screening questions which are designed for the answer to be "no" to be eligible to give blood. When she got to the one about "Have you traveled outside the US or Canada in the past year" I almost said no, but then thought about the cruise and said "We went on a Carribean cruise this summer". She got very interested and asked where we went, exactly. Then she grabbed a big notebook and flipped open a page. There it was on a list of "Unacceptable risk of Malaria": Tulum Ruins. So, my daughter and I were both deferred for 1 year from the trip.

We, of course, went home and looked up the symptoms of Malaria (mental confusion is one and my daughter thought perhaps I had it, but did not have the fevers, etc.).

Just thought I'd let folks know in case others out there routinely give blood. I'm so used to answering "no", "no", "no" that I almost didn't respond correctly.

The exact thing happened to my husband. He almost said no, too, when he mentioned the Western we took this past July. The woman was also very interested when he told her it stopped in Cancun. He was also told he was not allowed to donate blood for one year if you visited Mexico, even for a day trip. He didn't even mention the Tulum Ruins (which we also had visited). Interesting..........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter