Tumble Monkeys in Festival of the Lion King

John Gallagher

DVC Member and Annual Passholder
Is there any speculation as to whether or not the tumble monkeys will go back to doing they trampoline section of there act? I know because of the injury they had to stop doing it, but the show is really missing that extra something.

I thought they only stop doing it when one of the monkeys is out sick? Otherwise I thought it was still going as usual.

I thought they only stop doing it when one of the monkeys is out sick? Otherwise I thought it was still going as usual.
One of the monkeys suffered a serious injury from a mistake during the act so they haven't run it in the last few weeks. I don't know if this is permanent or until they have a replacement.

One of the monkeys suffered a serious injury from a mistake during the act so they haven't run it in the last few weeks. I don't know if this is permanent or until they have a replacement.
If I am not mistaken that injury happened quite a while ago now. They haven't hired a replacement or extra so they usually don't run the trampoline part if not all of them are there. At least that is how I have seemed to understand it.

If I am not mistaken that injury happened quite a while ago now. They haven't hired a replacement or extra so they usually don't run the trampoline part if not all of them are there. At least that is how I have seemed to understand it.
Oh I had heard the injury was within the last two months. I saw it about 3 or 4 months ago and the monkeys were in it but the last 4 times I've seen it which were all this month, they only did the first section and there were only 3 of the monkeys.

The last two times I have seen it (July and June of this year) The Tumble Monkey's Trampoline segment was also omitted... Was it just bad luck or did it have something to do with AK's extended hours and increased number of shows?

Oh I had heard the injury was within the last two months. I saw it about 3 or 4 months ago and the monkeys were in it but the last 4 times I've seen it which were all this month, they only did the first section and there were only 3 of the monkeys.
Yeah they take the section out when they only have three monkeys. It definitely is hit or miss whether they do that section or not.

Oh good! We saw it in mid August & early Sept... it was missing both times & we were really bummed.

I can confirm that they have done it this week.

This is now making me speculate that they give one monkey a break per show. You have a better chance of seeing that section if you go to the early or later shows with my recent experience.

I can confirm that they have done it this week.

This is now making me speculate that they give one monkey a break per show. You have a better chance of seeing that section if you go to the early or later shows with my recent experience.

Most shows have some degree of rotational casting.
If you go to the 11 and 12 shows, you will see different performers.

Its very likely that they either have 2 sets of tumble monkeys (8 total slots, with 7 active) so every other show will be modified
Or they have 5 slots with 4 active (or whatever number is decided) and every 5th show is modified. It all depends on how their contracts work out.

In the worst of the missing tumble monkey saga, the last set of the day was always modified (I was going at least once a week if not more)
I haven't seen a modified show in several weeks, though I have also been going to daytime/weekend shows rather than weeknight

Given that it's live theater, elements of the any given show may get dumped for a variety of reasons. Lack of available performers, equipment problems etc. As for the monkey troubles, I've heard that Disney has been content recently with not keeping the pool of gymnasts fully staffed as a cost savings move. With a minimal set of performers it doesn't take much to not have a full set of four performers ready to go for each show. An illness here, a sore ankle there, a monkey that oversleeps, etc. and suddenly it's not hard to see shows where the monkeys are just dancers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter