• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

TV Reception, Sattelite TV and the 4th of July

LostBoyinVA

Earning My Ears
We just bought a new Travel Trailer (As in early today just bought, pick it up in 2 weeks, Yeah) and I am hoping to squeeze in a trip to FW this summer. Already have a trip planned for November and the DCL 7 day cuise for our 10th wedding anniverary, but a trip to FW this summer makes a good excuse to get new APs and do another trip next spring/summer :-). The best week for us to squeeze in at FW is Forth of July, but there aren't any preferred sites open for that week. Normally when we camp we don't use the TV much, but FW is more like taking the motel room with us and after running around the parks all day I like to just sit and veg in front of the TV and unwind a bit.

For those who have camped in a non preferred site (Or preffered, but why you would use an antenna in a preffered site I have no idea :-) ) . How is the local TV reception with a Rooftop attenna on a Travel Trailer?

I know when we where in a cabin at FW in 99 I saw some Satelite dishes along the main road. Just a couple, but they where there. Personally I'd like to go deaper into a loop then the main road. We have a Dish Network Sattelite system at home. For a relatively minor amount of money I can make the sattelite system portable. Anyone used a Sattelite at FW? Deep in a loop getting a signal an issues getting a signal due to trees? If you have sucessfully used one at FW what Site and Loop did you have?

Lastly, 4th of July Fireworks? Is the Beach at FW good enough or should we try to squeeze into a park?

Well, we usually get about 4 channels clearly and about 8 channels that are watchable with just the antenna and the built-in booster. We take lots of movies and dvd's , but truthfully we usually just watch a few minutes of tv daily--so busy!

We, too, have Dish Network and had the local guys come out to the house and set us up with a portable satellite. They gave us lessons on how to find the signal and we could do it at home. Not at FW--never! Too many trees, I guess. Oh, well, we tried. Better luck to you.

I have seen folks using dishes all around the loops, not just near the main roads.

I really think it is a site specific issue, some work and some don't just because of the trees.

Campingcorgi's description sounds about right to me for the reception with a roof top antenna. Likewise, we don't watch much TV there, though. I am just too beat after a day at Disney and generally just hit the sack.:D

Just made reservations to Arrive June 28th and Leave July 5th in a preferred site, so not an issue this trip.

So about those 4th of July Fireworks, FW Beach or crowd into the MK?

Since you don't need it for this trip I thought that I'd chime in in general. My M&D have Direct TV (part of Dish now) It was abt 200 I think to put the dish on the RV camping world did this. Then they move the house box in and out. One word of warning you have to jump through hoops with Direct sending copies of your registration and they want you to be full timers This spring when they came home it wouldn't work in the house they were very snotty to us saying that its an rv acc andyou can't have both. Nobody really seems to know. So beware.
We decided that we'd just stay at campground that had cable if we wanted. most of the time we're so tired that we just fall into bed.
Good luck
Christy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter