Two Disney After Hours Events or 1 Day at Universal/IOA?

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
This August we are heading to Walt Disney World for 9 nights and we are looking into attending the Disney After Hours art Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom (assuming they continue the events). When I was looking into the cost (2 adults and kids ages 8 & 10 would be $500 total each night) I compared it to 1 day at Universal with Park Hopping and Express Pass unlimited. Both would total $1000 in total when booked in advance...

So the being the case, would you go to Universal/IOA for 1 day and be able to ride all the rides with Express Pass or is the exclusivity of the After Hours events a more memorable experience and more worth the money?

I would choose UO. You have 8 days to do the wdw parks, so should be able to hit everything you want to. And the HP areas are really really really good.

Last edited:
Absolutely do universal/IoA. You'll have plenty of time to hit all the rides during regular hours that you'd do during the after hours events. Universal and IoA are great parks you'll want to visit

If you were staying like shorter I'd probably recommend doing the after hours especially at AK or HS (After Star Wars land opens up).

But if you are spending 9 days in Disney, even if you only do 6-7 days in the park, that's enough time to do stuff and then some there, so I'd recommend doing Universal.

Still debating... When during the trip would you recommend going to Universal? Possibly shorten the stay at WDW and stay one night at a Universal resort that includes Express Pass?

Option 1:
Day 1: Arrive to MCO later in the day (no park this day) - Stay Universal before WDW and stay at Royal Pacific
Day 2: Early entry to Universal - park hop to IOA - head to Yacht Club at the end of the day after Universal closes.
Day 3-9: WDW (7 park days)
Day 10: Fly Home

Option 2:
Day 1-8: WDW (7 1/2 park days)
Day 9: Universal - Check in early - go to both Universal and IOA for 1 full day
Day 10: Fly home

Option 3:
Day 1-9: WDW (7 1/2 park days)
Day 5: DHS Early Morning Magic
Day 7: MK Disney After Hours
Day 10: Fly home

I also vote for UO! We really enjoyed it last time. We are doing option 1, except UO at the end. It is cheaper to stay at RPR and get the EP. FYI, you get 2 days of EP. You may also may want to check for discount tickets to UO and add a 2nd day, even just half a day is so easy with EP!

I also vote for Universal especially if you have any thrill riders in your party or children who love Dr. Seuss or Harry Potter fans. We've been 7 times; stayed at Royal Pacific or Hard Rock. Staying 1 night at a deluxe there with front of the line will totally spoil you! Universal is such a different experience, well worth your time!!!

Still debating the cost of one day park to park with Express Pass ($1300) vs. Villains After Hours ($600) for our family of 4 (me, wife, daughters 8 & 10).

How many of the headliners in both parks could we expect to experience in one full day using Express Pass in Aug with 4 people?

Since the kids have not been to Universal, they are voting Villains After Hours, but I think they would really enjoy Universal/IoA as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter