Two new Podcast members...still no diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me this thread would have been best served if the question was asked and the Dis team (Pete, I suppose) was given the chance to acknowledge and answer it.
Perhaps you missed the earlier post by @WebmasterJohn, one of the co owners of Dreams?

@Queen2PrincessG hello and thanks for the topic. I don't think you are saying anything negative or unsympathetic. It's unfortunate that people have to respond and posture online. There is nothing being attacked, and therefore, nothing to defend. Just a question; Where are the people that look like me? I hope that this thread, or a thread about the wider topic of diversity in the Disney community, continues here.

Some of the responses, here, on Facebook and on YouTube are outright offensive. I understand why John asked if we understand he can see what we are saying. People have written so many negative and hurtful things about Steve and Fiasco you could fill a book.

Why do we make negative comments at all? There is certainly enough content out there that we can find someone we like. Perhaps it is in our human nature?

Finally, I was glad to see you mention the "magical negro". There is maybe no more relevant example than the Song of the South. Little Johnny needs Uncle Remus to help him on his way. Now, there is also a truth that I hope you can recognize. I am a straight, married, cis, white, Christian male. I'm a Quaker. I am still learning. A post like yours helps with that process. And, believe it or not, so do all those old movies. Watching the movie Holiday Inn each Christmas reminds me of how insensitive and unyielding the shared artistic record can be. And I learn.

Really, thank you for the topic

Last edited:
@Queen2PrincessG hello and thanks for the topic. I don't think you are saying anything negative or unsympathetic. It's unfortunate that people have to respond and posture online. There is nothing being attacked, and therefore, nothing to defend.

Some of the responses, here, on Facebook and on YouTube are outright offensive.

Why do we make negative comments at all? Perhaps it is in our human nature?

Basically everyone, OP included, has talked about how positive and thoughtful this discussion has been. Even those who don't necessarily agree with OP are fairly respectful.

Haha, your post might be the most negative of them all!

Disney fans not liking diversity or trotting out old excuse for not having it are not new.
Reading this topic will do nothing but reaffirm that for me, so I do admire the people who are trying to educate the others.

I’m a Dis fan, clearly. I mean, I’m here! I’m also not white. Pete appreciates straightforward talk so he should appreciate this. I’m glad of John’s inclusion on the DVC show not just because it breaks up the whiteness, but to see the perspective of a parent with young children.

Just saying “we like the atmosphere of AKL” or mangling Spanish and going “sorry, sorry” isn’t diversity.

@Captain Dan No problem! LOL And OMG the amount of confliction I feel when I ride Splash Mountain!!! I don't understand why Disney won't shake "Zeep Pe Dee Do" as a song they use. It's even in their Alice In Wonderland Jr. Play. LIKE WHY! There are sooo many other songs not about how "great" it is to be enslaved! What is the actual deal?!

@Captain Dan No problem! LOL And OMG the amount of confliction I feel when I ride Splash Mountain!!! I don't understand why Disney won't shake "Zeep Pe Dee Do" as a song they use. It's even in their Alice In Wonderland Jr. Play. LIKE WHY! There are sooo many other songs not about how "great" it is to be enslaved! What is the actual deal?!

might be a slight tangent to the thread, but just to clarify, Song of the South takes place during Reconstruction, so slavery had been abolished and the characters aren't slaves. Now, to perpetuate the idea that the moment slavery was abolished everything became honkey dorey is problematic but they weren't singing about "how "great" it is to be enslaved" but rather about the search for happiness and how you can often find happiness where you are (symbolized by the Blue Bird which is a traditional representation of happiness)

might be a slight tangent to the thread, but just to clarify, Song of the South takes place during Reconstruction, so slavery had been abolished and the characters aren't slaves. Now, to perpetuate the idea that the moment slavery was abolished everything became honkey dorey is problematic but they weren't singing about "how "great" it is to be enslaved" but rather about the search for happiness and how you can often find happiness where you are (symbolized by the Blue Bird which is a traditional representation of happiness)
Actually, that's a bit incorrect. The story has no actual time stated but even if it's during Reconstruction the song is heavily steeped in minstrel music and the soundtrack of Song of the South is highly problematic. It is very much about how great it was to be "enslaved" because now look we can stay here ( with our former enslavers) and keep working on this plantation ( yet barely be paid), we didn't die like the other slaves who ran away, or fought for freedom.

Last edited:
Actually, that's a bit incorrect. The story has no actual time stated but even if it's during Reconstruction the song is heavily steeped in minstrel music and the soundtrack of Song of the South is highly problematic. It is very much about how great it was to be "enslaved" because now look we can say here and keep working on this plantation, we didn't die like the other slaves who rain away, or fought for freedom.
The Disney film is clearly set in the Reconstruction era, as the original author Joel Chandler Harris was a journalist specifically of the Reconstruction era, and with the book released in 1881 it is widely understood to be set well after the Civil War. And minstrel entertainment lasted well into the 20 century, and is also not unique to the Antebellum period.

Actually, that's a bit incorrect. The story has no actual time stated but even if it's during Reconstruction the song is heavily steeped in minstrel music and the soundtrack of Song of the South is highly problematic. It is very much about how great it was to be "enslaved" because now look we can say here and keep working on this plantation, we didn't die like the other slaves who rain away, or fought for freedom.

The time period the movie takes place in is widely known to be the reconstruction period after the Civil War.

well, the film has no time period explicitley stated, but the original stories are set during the Reconstruction era and things like the clothes worn in the film also fit that period per experts. And while it is still very problematic (as I said), I do think it makes a big difference - one case it is singing about being happy to be legal property vs the other of wondering whta happiness can be and working towards it, eventually, knowing things (at least legally) have changed (even if in the moment day to day life hasn't changed much if at all - there is the promise out there, to work for, to look towards)

well, the film has no time period explicitley stated, but the original stories are set during the Reconstruction era and things like the clothes worn in the film also fit that period per experts. And while it is still very problematic (as I said), I do think it makes a big difference - one case it is singing about being happy to be legal property vs the other of wondering whta happiness can be and working towards it, eventually, knowing things (at least legally) have changed (even if in the moment day to day life hasn't changed much if at all - there is the promise out there, to work for, to look towards)
It may be Reconstruction I could be wrong. I always heard it discussed as vaguely hinted. Again, I can be wrong. I know that this description of the song may be a popular one but knowing the "time", a lot of the history of that film and when that movie was released, I think your explanation is "Disneying" (LOL ) the song. It's a bit harder for me to just whimsically through it aside sometimes knowing what I know. You should read " Disney Most Notorious Film: Race, Convergence, and Hidden Histories of the song of the South" By Jason Sperb. It's easy to get caught up in the nostalgia of our beloved place but there is really no reason "Zip" needs to be played anywhere.

Last edited:
Again, that may be how you view it but knowing the time and history of when that movie was released, I think your explanation is "Disneying" (LOL ) the song. You should read " Disney Most Notorious Film: Race, Convergence, and Hidden Histories of the song of the South" By Jason Sperb. It's easy to get caught up in the nostalgia of our beloved place but there is really no reason "Zip" needs to be played anywhere.

I mean, I repeatedly said it is still "Highly pragmatic" and never defended the song it being played anywhere at all - actually didn't mention the song at all ... so not sure where you are getting that. :confused3

and I have read that book - though, personally I found "Who's Afraid of the Song of the South? And Other Forbidden Disney Stories" by Jim Korkis to be better for raising this as a discussion topic

It's easy to get caught up in the nostalgia of our beloved place but there is really no reason "Zip" needs to be played anywhere.
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah is a wonderful song, which is why it won an Oscar then and why it's still beloved today, and an important piece of American cultural history. While the film itself was obviously misguided in some ways, the song can easily be appreciated on its own merits (and definitely on Splash Mountain).

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah is a wonderful song, which is why it won an Oscar then and why it's still beloved today, and an important piece of American cultural history. While the film itself was obviously misguided in some ways, the song can easily be appreciated on its own merits (and definitely on Splash Mountain).
Not really when you know the history of the song itself, personally. The film was misguided in all ways not some. Like I said sometimes nostalgia makes it hard to examine ugly truths. Also, Just because something wins an Oscar doesn’t mean it’s great.

The song has been recorded by Louis Armstrong and The Jackson 5, so apparently some POC aren’t offended by it.

Not really when you know the history of the song itself, personally. The film was misguided in all ways not some. Like I said sometimes nostalgia makes it hard to examine ugly truths. Also, Just because something wins an Oscar doesn’t mean it’s great.

It's literally one of Disney's signature songs. It's not going anywhere. The lyrics themselves, away from the context of the movie, are innocent and do not promote or present a racist position. It's literally a song about make believe cartoon characters. It is uplifting and lighthearted and catchy and everyone knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter