Two new Podcast members...still no diversity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Craig probably doesn’t know there are TWO Doctor Dre’s I guess?

I would assume most people don't.

It was actually recently announced that the "other" Dre is now blind.

I feel bad for my head that I just read through this entire thing. We're now trying to discredit current hosts of a DISNEY podcast because they're white and don't know who a particular 90's R&B artist is.

Honestly, it seems like more of a generational thing than a cultural thing. I'm as white as it gets, but I'm well aware of BBD & "Poison" (it still has one of my favorite lines in any song). But it was popular ages ago when I was in high school (even in the small hick town where I grew up).

Is it possible that Millennials (regardless of color) just aren't as familiar with groups that haven't had a hit since the early 90s? Do you think Millenials or Gen Z would know Heavy D, Salt-n-Pepa, Digital Underground, C & C Music Factory, or hair bands like Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, or Scorpions? All had big hits in their day, but haven't been relevant for a while, so I'm not surprised if the younger generations aren't familiar. We Gen X-ers are now reaching an age where we have to come to grips with the fact that the music we grew up with is now "old people music."
I'm an older Millennial (on the edge) while Craig and Ryno are a few years younger than me. I wouldn't call myself a fan of any of the bands you listed (I did like Push It as an elementary school student LOL), but I do know them all.

I'm an older Millennial (on the edge) while Craig and Ryno are a few years younger than me. I wouldn't call myself a fan of any of the bands you listed (I did like Push It as an elementary school student LOL), but I do know them all.
I should have said "most Millenials."

I'd wager you're the exception. And as you said, you're a Xennial (i.e. on the cusp), so you're old enough to have heard of those groups, or had older Gen-X friends/family who introduced you to them. My wife, who is younger than I am, is a Xennial like you, and when we were having a discussion about music a while back, BBD's "Poison" actually came up, and she hadn't heard of it.

So even though you know them, that few years between Xennial and Millenial can make a big difference in how familiar people are with a group after their popularity fades. A few years can also make a big difference in how familiar someone is with popular music in general. I think most people are far more aware of popular music at 10 or 11 then they were at 4 or 5, so it's a matter of timing - someone who's in their early 30s now would have been a toddler or infant when this song came out.

So while I'm sure there are some younger folks (who all need to get off my lawn, btw) who might be familiar with early 90s music, my guess is there are many more who aren't. And that was my point - that it's very possible that the song was simply before Craig's time.

I am VERY humbly suggesting - but, am always open to differing opinions - that yes, this discussion HAS morphed from the original core discussion of the Team itself, and diversity representation there, for sure., However - IMHO - the morph into music, and what someone is "supposed to listen to/like/know about" is actually somewhat of a progression, or maybe an expansion of the idea of stereotypes, the expectations of society, and how, as I related, someone like myself can be seen by several races as "abnormal and fringe" because of those musical tastes. I am also, as a human, included in the diversity universe, and should not be expected to act like anyone perceives I should because of my race, right? It may have become a very PARALLEL discussion, but I think one that is just as important. And, to me, shows why all of us exposing ourselves to different things - cultures, races, sexual orientations, religions - and yes, even music (and the list could go on and on, of course!) is SO important these days, as there is so much beautiful diversity all around us, and in our everyday lives. Much more so than when I was growing up in the 60l's, for sure. And thank God!

I hope some of that made sense - it always makes sense in my HEAD, and hopefully does to somebody out there.

Last edited:
I am VERY humbly suggesting - but, am always open to differing opinions - that yes, this discussion HAS morphed from the original core discussion of the Team itself, and diversity representation there, for sure., However - IMHO - the morph into music, and what someone is "supposed to listen to/like/know about" is actually somewhat of a progression, or maybe an expansion of the idea of stereotypes, the expectations of society, and how, as I related, someone like myself can be seen by several races as "abnormal and fringe" because of those musical tastes. I am also, as a human, included in the diversity universe, and should not be expected to act like anyone perceives I should because of my race, right? It may have become a very PARALLEL discussion, but I think one that is just as important. And, to me, shows why all of us exposing ourselves to different things - cultures, races, sexual orientations, religions - and yes, even music (and the list could go on and on, of course!) is SO important these days, as there is so much beautiful diversity all around us, and in our everyday lives. Much more so than when I was growing up in the 60l's, for sure. And thank God!

I hope some of that made sense - it always makes sense in my HEAD, and hopefully does to somebody out there.
OMG YES! THANK YOU! People forget about how this topic is one core but that intersectionality plays a key.

Yep. If you don't already have a lawn, you need to get one so you can start yelling at the kids to get off of it. 😏

And since we're all feeling elderly now, I'll share this... While watching a middle-aged Boyz II Men perfom the national anthem at the NFC championship game last weekend, my wife commented that they should just be called "Men" now. 🤔 🤣

Yep. If you don't already have a lawn, you need to get one so you can start yelling at the kids to get off of it. 😏

And since we're all feeling elderly now, I'll share this... While watching a middle-aged Boyz II Men perfom the national anthem at the NFC championship game last weekend, my wife commented that they should just be called "Men" now. 🤔 🤣
Men II Geezers... the "End of the Road" draws ever nearer.

I don't watch or listen to every podcast, but I can say that of the ones I've consumed more of (Mostly Best and Worst and Dining Show), they have become, IMO, more same-y and bland as the some of the more distinctive people or personalities (to beat a dead horse in this thread, Charles is one example) have left or migrated to other shows over the past few years. While their replacements are competent, there's nothing unique about them or their views, and my consumption of the podcasts has gone down as a result.

Some different perspectives or worldviews would definitely result in me consuming more Dis content.

Last edited:
I don't watch or listen to every podcast, but I can say that of the ones I've consumed more of (Mostly Best and Worst and Dining Show), they have become, IMO, more same-y and bland as the some of the more distinctive people or personalities (to beat a dead horse in this thread, Charles is one example) have left or migrated to other shows over the past few years. While their replacements are competent, there's nothing distinctive about them or their views, and my consumption of the podcasts has gone down as a aresult.

Some different perspectives or worldviews would definitely result in me consuming more Dis content.

The all-star dream team of the DIS Unplugged, IMO, is Pete, Kevin, John, Bob, Charles, Craig, Kathy, Dustin, and a rotating Martin!

I don’t understand why people in this thread keep saying the last podcast staff member with a broad world view was Charles... sure he was well spoken but his opinions were almost the exact same as everyone else’s lol

I don’t understand why people in this thread keep saying the last podcast staff member with a broad world view was Charles... sure he was well spoken but his opinions were almost the exact same as everyone else’s lol

Not at all... he would very often have a unique twist on the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter