Two New Ticket Offers for DVC Members!

I added a renewal certificate to MDE for my 17yo. Do I have to visit a ticket booth to “activate”, even though 17yo does not have to be there?

Yes, a renewal certificate has to be processed at a ticket window or guest relations. You'll need your DVC card (the current version; digital or physical is fine) and your photo ID.

By the rules, the 17 year old does need to be with you, even though their ID isn't required since they're a minor. Some CMs may bend that rule, others won't. In the last year or so, we've been told to be very strict with regard to DVC passes.

Yes, a renewal certificate has to be processed at a ticket window or guest relations. You'll need your DVC card (the current version; digital or physical is fine) and your photo ID.

By the rules, the 17 year old does need to be with you, even though their ID isn't required since they're a minor. Some CMs may bend that rule, others won't. In the last year or so, we've been told to be very strict with regard to DVC passes.

I'll try next week without them. Would they be able to activate the pass on their own? Does it have to be before the expiration of their current pass?

I'll try next week without them. Would they be able to activate the pass on their own? Does it have to be before the expiration of their current pass?

Unless they have their own DVC card that matches their own ID, they wouldn't be able to activate it on their own, at least not according to the rules. I know that someone on this forum before had success with contacting Disney and explaining that their adult child would be visiting without them and got a file number put onto the child's AP certificate with a note that said they're making an exception that a CM is allowed to activate the pass without the DVC member parent present. You could try and see if Guest Relations would be willing to do something like that if they won't just do the activation for you.

The activation does not have to be before the expiration of their current pass. The renewal certificate is a placeholder. We regularly see DVC members in particular with renewal certs for passes that have been expired for months.

How many trips would these Platinum Plus passes pay for themselves? Would we need to go into a park everyday? Not sure the husband is up to all of these park days, but I would like to save our non-expired tickets....
When my wife and I bought our Platinum AP (not the discounted one) the math worked to a 3 and a 4 day trip would pay for the pass. And this didn't even include the added value of the photopass nor the discounts on shopping.
At $559 for the reduced price AP, this would be a 2 day and a 3 day already in the profit again without the extra AP values.

If you're going twice and outside of the 14 day same ticket window, an AP is almost always the best way to go. And if photopass is important, it is always better. IMHO.

Right now we're considering buying the discounted APs for activation in late 2018. We're just not familiar enough with the history/likelyhood of more AP discounts.

When my wife and I bought our Platinum AP (not the discounted one) the math worked to a 3 and a 4 day trip would pay for the pass. And this didn't even include the added value of the photopass nor the discounts on shopping.
At $559 for the reduced price AP, this would be a 2 day and a 3 day already in the profit again without the extra AP values.

If you're going twice and outside of the 14 day same ticket window, an AP is almost always the best way to go. And if photopass is important, it is always better. IMHO.

Right now we're considering buying the discounted APs for activation in late 2018. We're just not familiar enough with the history/likelyhood of more AP discounts.
I’m speculating here but I feel that with Star Wars land coming online somewhere around December 2019 at WDW we may be hard pressed to get anymore big AP discounts for DVC.

Yes, we went from Platinum to Plat Plus at the $505 renewal price.

If I renew early do I still get a whole year from my initial expiration date? For example, my current Gold AP expires March 3. As of Jan 3 (the last day of this promo) I should hit my 60 day before expiration mark, so I should be eligible to renew on Jan 3 (renew previous gold pass for a platinum pass at price of $505). If I renew on Jan 3, my new Platinum Pass does not expire on Jan 3 next year... does it? It would still expire on March 3 next year...right? I hope so. If anyone has a link that can confirm this, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

If I renew early do I still get a whole year from my initial expiration date? For example, my current Gold AP expires March 3. As of Jan 3 (the last day of this promo) I should hit my 60 day before expiration mark, so I should be eligible to renew on Jan 3 (renew previous gold pass for a platinum pass at price of $505). If I renew on Jan 3, my new Platinum Pass does not expire on Jan 3 next year... does it? It would still expire on March 3 next year...right? I hope so. If anyone has a link that can confirm this, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Yes, a renewal extends your pass for 1 year from the date it actually expires. It is not from the date you purchase the renewal.

I was thinking about buying the discounted 7 day pass and have a question. It says in the terms and condition that I need ID to pick up the ticket. But why do I need to pick up a ticket? Can't I just get confirmation codes and link it to our reservations? This is what I have done in the past. Is it necessary to actually go and pick up a physical ticket? If we do need to wait and pick up the tickets after we arrive, can I still make fast pass reservations ahead of time?

I was thinking about buying the discounted 7 day pass and have a question. It says in the terms and condition that I need ID to pick up the ticket. But why do I need to pick up a ticket? Can't I just get confirmation codes and link it to our reservations? This is what I have done in the past. Is it necessary to actually go and pick up a physical ticket? If we do need to wait and pick up the tickets after we arrive, can I still make fast pass reservations ahead of time?
You do not have to pick up the 7 for 5 ticket if you assign it to your magic band. It will work without stopping at guest services. However, the Annual Passes do have to be validated at Guest Services.

Yes, we renewed our APs on Dec 4. DD’s didn’t expire until Dec 30, 2017 and immediately showed a Dec 30, 2018 expiration. What’s interesting to me is that there is a link to reassign :scratchin didn’t realize unactivated renewals could be reassigned...

Last edited:
Do the special offer 7 day tickets (for the 5 day price) have a 6 month expiration from first use? So will not expie in 14 days from first use like other parkhoppers?

Yes, that is part of the deal.

That's correct. Just call MS (if you haven't already) and pay for the renewal.

Our Gold APs actually expire 10/8/2018. I called and purchased platinum plus renewal vouchers which I added to MDE. Whenever we're there next (from 30 days prior onward), we'll activate the renewals and will have platinum plus until 10/8/2019. I specifically requested NOT to get the promo during the last renewal because we have plans for NYE next year and I wanted to try and push it up a year. For once, it worked in my favor.

Yes, that is part of the deal.

That's correct. Just call MS (if you haven't already) and pay for the renewal.

Our Gold APs actually expire 10/8/2018. I called and purchased platinum plus renewal vouchers which I added to MDE. Whenever we're there next (from 30 days prior onward), we'll activate the renewals and will have platinum plus until 10/8/2019. I specifically requested NOT to get the promo during the last renewal because we have plans for NYE next year and I wanted to try and push it up a year. For once, it worked in my favor.

Did you pay the current special DVC renewal price for the platinum plus passes ($505 + tax, I think)? Or the current special DVC price for a new pass ($559)? I’m asking because I didn’t think you could renew an AP (or buy a voucher at renewal rate) until 60 days before the current AP actually expires. If you can, that might change our plans! TIA!

Did you pay the current special DVC renewal price for the platinum plus passes ($505 + tax, I think)? Or the current special DVC price for a new pass ($559)? I’m asking because I didn’t think you could renew an AP (or buy a voucher at renewal rate) until 60 days before the current AP actually expires. If you can, that might change our plans! TIA!

Renewal price. They show up as unused renewal vouchers in MDE when I entered the confirmation number. I was a bit surprised, to be honest, but I'm glad I called and asked. $1517.64 total for three DVC platinum plus renewals. (505.88 each)

Snip of my current pass and the renewal voucher I just bought:

upload_2018-1-4_2-16-2.png

Renewal price. They show up as unused renewal vouchers in MDE when I entered the confirmation number. I was a bit surprised, to be honest, but I'm glad I called and asked. $1517.64 total for three DVC platinum plus renewals. (505.88 each)

Snip of my current pass and the renewal voucher I just bought:

View attachment 292032

Wow, thanks. We’re on the fence about renewing our APs this year, which now is fortunate since the special offer expired yesterday! :rolleyes:

Silly me was just going to upgrade tickets we had already bought, but it seems that won't be cost effective. I should have looked into it sooner so we could have taken advantage of the ticket offer. I guess we will wait and see if they offer another one before we go.

I would like to thank this community for the information on this DVC Platinum Plus deal. We bought our PAPs before the deadline, activated on a June 2018 trip, and used them again October. For the October trip we visited both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. We had so much fun! We never would have considered going to the water parks if it wasn’t “free” and now we are absolutely in love with Typhoon Lagoon! Blizzard Beach was great too but we only went for a couple of hours....spent almost a whole day at TL the last day of our trip. Such a great deal!! And we knew about it because of Disboards.

I would like to thank this community for the information on this DVC Platinum Plus deal. We bought our PAPs before the deadline, activated on a June 2018 trip, and used them again October. For the October trip we visited both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. We had so much fun! We never would have considered going to the water parks if it wasn’t “free” and now we are absolutely in love with Typhoon Lagoon! Blizzard Beach was great too but we only went for a couple of hours....spent almost a whole day at TL the last day of our trip. Such a great deal!! And we knew about it because of Disboards.
I am kicking myself right now for not buying one of these last year to stash away for my upcoming December trip :crazy2:.

I am kicking myself right now for not buying one of these last year to stash away for my upcoming December trip :crazy2:.

I managed to grab an extra set right before the promotion expired, so we're set for another year. It really was a good deal.

We have enjoyed Blizzard Beach many times this year because of the special! I hate to think about just how much it would cost to renew these passes!:scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter