Two questions: Villas and Strollers

cinderaimee

DIS Veteran
I'm still six months away from my next trip but I have a few questions I'm hoping more experienced Disers could weigh in on (this will be only my second trip as an adult/with my own kids).

Question one: We have a 1-bedroom villa booked at WL. DH and I would take the bedroom with the kids (two boys age 4 and 6) on the sleeper sofa in the other room. I'm honestly a bit worried about the kids either opening the doors and going out of the room or onto the balcony, or playing with the stove or sharp things in the kitchen if they wake up and DH and I are still sleeping. Is this something to actually be worried about? Are there safety precautions other parents take or would take in that situation? Obviously I plan on telling them "the rules", no opening doors, what to do if they wake up before us, etc. My older one is generally pretty good about following rules but can be a little mischievous, but the younger one is basically feral :)

Question two: Stroller situation. For our last trip, the boys were 2 and 4 and a double stroller was absolutely necessary. Now, I just can't decide. And I know this trip is still months away so what we need today might not be true 6 months from now. My older boy will be 6 when we go and he is just a lazy kid. He complains about walking at Target. My younger one would prefer to run everywhere we go, and I'm talking RUN, so sometimes he needs to be contained. I have a nice Britax stroller that is rarely used these days, so do we bring that as a nice to have and then the boys can swap out as needed? It's also nice to have a place to keep the bags and drinks when on rides. But, it is kind of on its last legs, so should we just rent a single? Rent a double again? The other factor is my kids are huge (older one is 5 and the size of an average 8 year old) so we need a stroller that can handle a larger kid.

If you have any advice or experience with either of these, I would love the input!

I'm responding because I hope to see what others have to say to your first question. I'm in the same boat in just over 6 months.

As for strollers, my wife and I were having the exact same conversation this morning if I were you, I would bring your own. The rental company ones seem nice, but pricey and lightweight. I think we have no choice but to rent next month, so I will you know if my perception is wrong.
It is better to bring one and not need it than vice versa, and I agree that it is a nice place to leave a bag or push a sleepy child around in.

I'm still six months away from my next trip but I have a few questions I'm hoping more experienced Disers could weigh in on (this will be only my second trip as an adult/with my own kids).

Question one: We have a 1-bedroom villa booked at WL. DH and I would take the bedroom with the kids (two boys age 4 and 6) on the sleeper sofa in the other room. I'm honestly a bit worried about the kids either opening the doors and going out of the room or onto the balcony, or playing with the stove or sharp things in the kitchen if they wake up and DH and I are still sleeping. Is this something to actually be worried about? Are there safety precautions other parents take or would take in that situation? Obviously I plan on telling them "the rules", no opening doors, what to do if they wake up before us, etc. My older one is generally pretty good about following rules but can be a little mischievous, but the younger one is basically feral :)

Question two: Stroller situation. For our last trip, the boys were 2 and 4 and a double stroller was absolutely necessary. Now, I just can't decide. And I know this trip is still months away so what we need today might not be true 6 months from now. My older boy will be 6 when we go and he is just a lazy kid. He complains about walking at Target. My younger one would prefer to run everywhere we go, and I'm talking RUN, so sometimes he needs to be contained. I have a nice Britax stroller that is rarely used these days, so do we bring that as a nice to have and then the boys can swap out as needed? It's also nice to have a place to keep the bags and drinks when on rides. But, it is kind of on its last legs, so should we just rent a single? Rent a double again? The other factor is my kids are huge (older one is 5 and the size of an average 8 year old) so we need a stroller that can handle a larger kid.

If you have any advice or experience with either of these, I would love the input!

Re your concerns regarding the safety of the studio.....why not go to your local baby proof store or section of a big box store and alleviate your concerns there? They may even have items for sale that you didn't even think of yet.

I no longer offer an opinion on strollers for older children. They are your children and you should do what you think best.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
I'd probably rent a double just to be on the safe side. It's bulkier, but nice when both kids want it. The rentals we used were sturdy and reliable. Pushed way nicer than my own ever did and turned on a dime, which came in useful many times. I also found them to be quite a bit roomier than a normal stroller and they accommodated the 7 year old we had with us when he needed a break. (And he did many times)

If your children are anything like mine, their poor arms will also stop working after about half an hour in the park and you will get to carry everything for them the rest of the day, which is way more convenient if you can just toss it in the stroller. I'm trying to justify getting one. My son will be 7 so it's hard. You really aren't stroller "age" anymore but if I could get some one to push me around in a stroller all day I'd take it. Plus I do not want to give up the drink holder and snack table, it was like my command station.

Rent a stroller that gets delivered to your resort and some of them come with a running board sort of thing on the back where an older kid like your 6 yr old can ride while the younger kid is sitting in the stroller. That’s what we did at Disneyland when our kids were 4 and 6. And the kids just took turns between riding IN the stroller or riding on the back of it.

And I could steer it one handed. It was great. We did it through Anaheim City Strollers. I’m sure that there are options like that in Orlando.

You don’t need a double stroller.

I'd probably rent a double just to be on the safe side. It's bulkier, but nice when both kids want it. The rentals we used were sturdy and reliable. Pushed way nicer than my own ever did and turned on a dime, which came in useful many times. I also found them to be quite a bit roomier than a normal stroller and they accommodated the 7 year old we had with us when he needed a break. (And he did many times)

If your children are anything like mine, their poor arms will also stop working after about half an hour in the park and you will get to carry everything for them the rest of the day, which is way more convenient if you can just toss it in the stroller. I'm trying to justify getting one. My son will be 7 so it's hard. You really aren't stroller "age" anymore but if I could get some one to push me around in a stroller all day I'd take it. Plus I do not want to give up the drink holder and snack table, it was like my command station.

Thanks for your response. I do like having the command station of a stroller! My only hesitation of the double stroller is my kids are so big they're probably 120 pounds combined which is over the weight limit for most strollers (although we treat that more like a guideline than a rule :D), but it's a lot of kid to push! I think you're right at the end of the day it will be safer just to have it.

Rent a stroller that gets delivered to your resort and some of them come with a running board sort of thing on the back where an older kid like your 6 yr old can ride while the younger kid is sitting in the stroller. That’s what we did at Disneyland when our kids were 4 and 6. And the kids just took turns between riding IN the stroller or riding on the back of it.

And I could steer it one handed. It was great. We did it through Anaheim City Strollers. I’m sure that there are options like that in Orlando.

You don’t need a double stroller.

Thank you for responding. That's a great suggestion! I actually considered a running board but my kids are over the weight limit for most of them. Maybe I'll go to the baby store and see if I can try any in person.

I'm glad to hear that worked out for you!

I'm responding because I hope to see what others have to say to your first question. I'm in the same boat in just over 6 months.

Right now I'm considering order a set of these for the doors:
2018-06-22_100702.png
Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00178HMCI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_0jqlBbFJF8E31

They go on with two-sided tape, and I'm thinking you could use command strips instead. A little overboard, and my husband will probably roll his eyes, and I'm sure we won't even need them, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And I'll sleep better knowing my little monsters aren't sneaking off onto the balcony in the wee hours of the night.

View attachment 331770

They go on with two-sided tape, and I'm thinking you could use command strips instead. A little overboard, and my husband will probably roll his eyes, and I'm sure we won't even need them, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. And I'll sleep better knowing my little monsters aren't sneaking off onto the balcony in the wee hours of the night.

Or you could go 'old school" and just tie a ribbon or string with some jingle bells attached to them and put that on the doors to the outside.

View attachment 331770

I was thinking of a door alarm too. I’m not sure how affective the balcony or front door are against a four year old. I like the idea of bells, but I don’t know if that would be loud enough to wake myself, personally. In the kitchen and laundry room you’ll want to make sure all contraband are out of reach, probably even factoring in what he could reach with a chair.

As far as the stroller, I would lean towards the double if you think it will avoid fights and whining. The riding board sounds nice too if you can find one with a high enough weight limit. I wouldn’t say that if he was much older, but he’s still in the gray area to me.

The people on the DVC boards might have some more childproofing ideas. My son is the get into everything type, so I’m not sure when we’ll be comfortable letting him sleep in the main area of a villa room.

Great idea and less intrusive to the other guests at the resort.

The alarms I linked to have an off switch, so I would only set them at night! I wouldn't consider something that would disturb the other guests every time we opened a door.

I was thinking of a door alarm too. I’m not sure how affective the balcony or front door are against a four year old. I like the idea of bells, but I don’t know if that would be loud enough to wake myself, personally. In the kitchen and laundry room you’ll want to make sure all contraband are out of reach, probably even factoring in what he could reach with a chair.

As far as the stroller, I would lean towards the double if you think it will avoid fights and whining. The riding board sounds nice too if you can find one with a high enough weight limit. I wouldn’t say that if he was much older, but he’s still in the gray area to me.

The people on the DVC boards might have some more childproofing ideas. My son is the get into everything type, so I’m not sure when we’ll be comfortable letting him sleep in the main area of a villa room.

Thanks for your suggestions! I hadn't really thought much about childproofing until I watched a tour of the kind of room we're staying in and they opened one of the drawers in the kitchen and there was a large chef's knife sitting right on top so that sent me down this spiral. When we went last time the kids were 2 and 4 but we stayed in a studio and we were all so close they couldn't do anything without waking me up. Being more spread out in a strange place is kind of scary!

Thanks for your suggestions! I hadn't really thought much about childproofing until I watched a tour of the kind of room we're staying in and they opened one of the drawers in the kitchen and there was a large chef's knife sitting right on top so that sent me down this spiral. When we went last time the kids were 2 and 4 but we stayed in a studio and we were all so close they couldn't do anything without waking me up. Being more spread out in a strange place is kind of scary!

You’re welcome. We recently stayed somewhere that had a drawer full of sharp knives that a small child could easily access. It’s definitley a different experience to travel with littles. I hope you guys have a great trip!

We've stayed at the BRV's and WL and they sliding doors had 2 latches on that had to be switched before the main lock would work, one of these is pretty high and my 11 year old struggled with it, so I wouldn't worry about it too much if they follow the same format. The front door has a lock and a security latch higher up that should prevent them from opening it. If they get really creative to unlock it, they will make so much noise you will wake up before they get it open.

As for Strollers? Get the City mini GT double stroller, its slightly over 5inches wider than the single version, so while visually it looks bigger due to the dual seats, the dimensions are very similar. For the sake of 5 inches, having the ability to move both kids if they need it is worth it! Size wise, my 12 year old squeezes in it! So you will be fine if you rent one of those.

The alarms I linked to have an off switch, so I would only set them at night! I wouldn't consider something that would disturb the other guests every time we opened a door.
I'm sure you wouldn't leave the alarm on all day.
Night time is what I was thinking of since that is when it's generally quieter and noise travels further. I'm sure you can do a RL test to check the decibels at home and feel more confident of it's use.

Good that you watched a video to see the room's layout!

We've stayed at the BRV's and WL and they sliding doors had 2 latches on that had to be switched before the main lock would work, one of these is pretty high and my 11 year old struggled with it, so I wouldn't worry about it too much if they follow the same format. The front door has a lock and a security latch higher up that should prevent them from opening it. If they get really creative to unlock it, they will make so much noise you will wake up before they get it open.

As for Strollers? Get the City mini GT double stroller, its slightly over 5inches wider than the single version, so while visually it looks bigger due to the dual seats, the dimensions are very similar. For the sake of 5 inches, having the ability to move both kids if they need it is worth it! Size wise, my 12 year old squeezes in it! So you will be fine if you rent one of those.

Sounds like that part of your safety worries are solved.

Thanks for the info! We are actually staying in a BRV so that is super helpful! When we stayed in a BWV studio 2 years ago, I think the patio door had only a simple turn lock on the handle. Our patio door at home has a similar double latch thing, so that makes me feel worlds better.

We rented the GT double last time and loved it. I'm just concerned about the weight limit with my giant children. The older one is 5, 6 in a few weeks and 50 inches tall and about 75 pounds. Combined they are 130 pounds, probably 140 by time we go on the trip, which is quite a bit over the limit of the seat. I'd hate to break it and be responsible for a $600 stroller!

Thanks again for your input, super helpful!

Even command strips can cause damage. And I also thing jingle bells would be less likely to wake your neighbors up in the middle of the night.

My middle is 75+lbs, youngest is 55lbs and they use the GT double all day every day, across gravel, grass, turf etc..... Had it for 3 years and while we take care of our stuff, we use them as tools despite their inherent cost. My 12 year old is 90+lb's and can be in there with the middle... obviously there is a little drag on that one! haha... but they can handle the weight easily in my experience.

Spring for a double stroller! I am in the same boat. My 7-year-old *could* walk all day, but I know it won't be pleasant - for her or us!

I have a garage sale every year, so I decided to buy our own stroller to take to Disney, then I'm going to sell it next summer at our garage sale or through Facebook marketplace. A rental was going to cost me $140 for the week - I paid $150 for a Joovy X2 on Amazon, and I hope to get at least $75 back ... assuming the kids don't trash it. ;)

My middle is 75+lbs, youngest is 55lbs and they use the GT double all day every day, across gravel, grass, turf etc..... Had it for 3 years and while we take care of our stuff, we use them as tools despite their inherent cost. My 12 year old is 90+lb's and can be in there with the middle... obviously there is a little drag on that one! haha... but they can handle the weight easily in my experience.

That makes me feel much better! Thank you!

Spring for a double stroller! I am in the same boat. My 7-year-old *could* walk all day, but I know it won't be pleasant - for her or us!

I know there a lot of opinions about older kids in strollers at Disney but my older boy is the laziest kid in the world. 9 days in Disney would be awful. We can’t even get the kid to do a lap around the grocery store without complaining.:rolleyes2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter