Two races in one day...

bellrae

DIS Veteran
So, my grand plan for November was to do Wine & Dine for my C2C and then the following weekend hit up Vegas to do RnR (as I loved the idea of being on the strip at night for a run). I was all good with not doing Avegners and not having to worry about the crazy registration process.

Then I woke up this morning and realised that the challenge didn't sell out in 30 seconds flat and was only 97% sold and I registered on a whim.

So my question is this - has anyone ever done two in one day? I could in theory do the Avengers half, hit the airport, fly to Vegas and then do the race that night in Vegas as well.

Am I crazy for even contemplating doing both?

If you feel your level of fitness can handle that. There are a few people on this board that have done a 5K & Half in the same day but other than that youtube video, I haven't seen two halves.

Are you planning on doing the half or the full? If you are planning on doing the half, it may be doable as instead of training for a half you can just train it like you would a full marathon.

I think you'll be fine doing both as long as you've trained properly. Didn't seem to bother this guy any. Two halves is pretty much the same thing as running a full only with a nice break in the middle. A half and then a full is like an ultra, and those aren't too bad either with the right training.

As long as you've trained accordingly and can physically be present at both I don't see any reason why not. I've done several double race days, but usually they are a 1-miler or 2K and then a half 45 minutes later. Did one this past weekend actually, a 1-miler and a half. PR on both so I was running hard on both. But if its two HMs, you probably won't be running all out on both.

If RnR do the half of the half this year on the Sunday as well I might downgrade to that (looking at the registration details you can downgrade to a lesser race, so I can downgrade my half registration).

I did the Rebel Challenge earlier in the year and my body backed up really well (my 10K split for the half on the Sunday smashed my time on the Saturday). I actually found the more I moved the better I felt. Also helped that I had a big chat to Jeff Galloway at the expo and he gave me some awesome tips for back to back races that I stuck to and really helped.

I was thinking training wise I would stick to a similar program to what is did for Rebel Challenge and that should help for two races in a day. Unless someone out there has a better suggestion?

If you're going to train for two halves in a day, I'd view it as training for a marathon, not a half marathon. Your legs are going to be far more tired running a half twice than a 10k followed by a half after nearly a full day of rest. A typical half marathon training program will not get your legs the mileage they need to run 26.2 in a day.

Love out-of-the-box challenges like that. You could follow the Dopey training that RunDisney and Jeff Galloway have shared as that challenge ends with a half and a full. Hopefully not much difference in running first thing in morning and later that night compared to running two mornings in a row.

Only concern I can see might be the air travel from one destination to the next.....flight delays, bad weather, etc.

Sounds like fun. Go for it.

Last edited:
I agree with the suggestion of training like you would a full in order for your legs to handle the mileage within a 24 hour period -- not to mention the added 6.2 miles the day before. Also, I think the rest in between could be a challenge more than a blessing. Pretty much any time I'm finished with double digit mileage my legs are a bit stiff and less responsive if I try and use them again that day. Sitting upright -- as you would be on an airplane -- would probably exacerbate that issue, for me anyway.

A flight to Vegas probably isn't that long, and you may respond differently after running double digit mileage than I do, but it's a flip side to consider about that inbetween period. Not that you can't do it -- I think it's a totally doable challenge -- just think through some worst-case scenarios so you can anticipate the mental and physical hurdles and have a plan to overcome them.

Good luck! :thumbsup2

I think you can do it. If you're trained enough for a full marathon, breaking it down into two "shorter" races would work. Just ice while in between!

I have flown within a few hours of really long runs with no problems. I will be flying 3 hours after I finish the NJ half in 3 weeks. The flight will only be a problem if you are the kind of person who tightens up after a race. The real risk, as mentioned already, is flight delays that keep you from making it to the 2nd starting line on time.

My only concern would be the flight on a cramped airplane and how my legs would respond - even if it is a short flight.

Good luck with your choice!!

In addition to what everyone else said, I'd make sure to drink a good amount of water/Powerade in between races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter