Tybee Island, GA - questions...

Tattylou

DIS Veteran
I'v recently heard of Tybee Island, which is near Savannah. I have considered it along with a few other spots for April 2019 spring break. Flights from Boston to Atlanta are generally reasonable even on school vacation weeks. Travel party is myself, DH, my parents (age 71 in 2019), my 2 sons (ages 8 and 10 in 2019).
Is it about 5- 6 hour drive from Atlanta airport to Tybee Island? So, what's the weather like there mid-April? Can we swim? What are the best spots/locations? Any suggestions on lodging (open to hotel, condo, or house rentals)? What is there to do besides the beach? Are there things for kids to do in Savannah?
Thanks in advance!

April might or might not be warm. Could be hot, cold, or nice depending on luck. The weather could vary greatly from day to day. More then likely warm, in the 80’s.

The drive is probably closer to 4 hours from the airport.

The hotels on Tybee itself are old tired beach hotels. If you want a nicer hotel you have to stay back in Savannah. I would look into renting a condo or house if you want to stay on Tybee. The newer houses are on stilts. If the house you look at renting is on the ground just be aware it will be old and may not have been updated. The island is narrow and the beach is walkable from most any part of the island.

I have a cousin who owns a restaurant on Tybee. Food is decent, atmosphere is fun.
http://stingraysontybee.com/

The beach on Tybee is nice, wide with tide pools around the 14th Street area.

There are lots of interesting things to do in Savannah for kids. Ghost tours, a railway museum, explore Ft Pulaski, hop on hop off trolly tours, etc.

My wife's cousin lived there for a few years and we visited. Great vacation destination.

Fly into Savannah. Otherwise it is a 2-3 hour drive and you will have to rent a car. I think Savannah and Tybee Island would be a great destination.
The savannah airport is an hours drive to Tybee. You need to rent a car either way. I would just fly into Atlanta and take the boring drive down I-16. Depending on how long you have to wait between flights you could potentially drive faster.

Last edited:
Personally I like Hilton Head Island better than Tybee. We felt like there was more to do there with the kids and the hotels/resorts were better. You have to drive a little further to get to Savannah but it’s a really short day trip.

Following. My son is down in Savannah now and Tybee is a destination we will be visiting on one of our trips down there (but it is only 4 hours from us.)

Have you looked into Jekyll island? It is a really neat island with lots of biking trails. It has a wonderful historical inn in the center of the island and lots of beaches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter