Tylenol 1

Kennywood

Kennywood
We don't often get to Canada, but when we do, we like to stop by a pharmacy and get some Tylenol 1 / Tylenol w/ codeine / 222. I know you have to go the pharmacist to get it, but what is the legal limit on what can be brought back into the U.S.?

As we'll be in Vancouver next month for our Alaskan cruise, we thought we'd pick up some Tylenol 1 to bring back with us.

Last edited:
Technically, zero but it is not normally enforced. Although with it being a narcotic, you might run into trouble.

If you have a prescription, they may ignore it as long as it's 90 days or less. If you somehow get a scrip for an insane amount, that might cause problems.

If you do not have a prescription, the legal limit would be definitely 0 as it is a Schedule III Controlled Substance and would be highly likely to be enforced.

Last edited:
I think you're right about it not being enforced. When we came back from Niagara Falls a few years ago, we told the Canadian customs officer at the border that we had bought a bottle of Tylenol 1. He didn't even blink an eye at that.

Funny story - when my brother and his wife honeymooned at Niagara Falls, they found a great deal on Coke, so they bought a bunch to bring back. When they got to the border, the Canadian customs agent asked my brother if he had anything to declare. My brother said, "Not much.... just a bunch of Coke in the trunk." My brother said that the customs agent's face went white. As soon as he saw that, my brother started yammering, "Coke! Coca-Cola! Drink!!" After checking the trunk, the customs agent told my brother that he needed to be more careful about how he said certain things.

I think you're right about it not being enforced. When we came back from Niagara Falls a few years ago, we told the Canadian customs officer at the border that we had bought a bottle of Tylenol 1. He didn't even blink an eye at that.

Funny story - when my brother and his wife honeymooned at Niagara Falls, they found a great deal on Coke, so they bought a bunch to bring back. When they got to the border, the Canadian customs agent asked my brother if he had anything to declare. My brother said, "Not much.... just a bunch of Coke in the trunk." My brother said that the customs agent's face went white. As soon as he saw that, my brother started yammering, "Coke! Coca-Cola! Drink!!" After checking the trunk, the customs agent told my brother that he needed to be more careful about how he said certain things.
My sister got pulled over by TSA for protein powder she had in a ziplock bag in her carry on. They almost didn’t make the flight there was so much investigating. Haha. We were calling her the el chapo of protein powder for a while.

Your best answer will come from contacting US CBP and asking them, who may refer you to FDA and/or DEA.

But some quick googling turns up some useful info to give you an idea of what you may be told:

From the FDA: "Is it legal for me to personally import drugs?" https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm194904.htm

BUT, since Tylenol 1 has codeine and is a controlled substance in the US, special rules apply to it, particularly as it relates to quantity.

This regulation on the DEA website will be helpful: https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1301/1301_26.htm
Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations
PART 1301 — REGISTRATION OF MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS, AND DISPENSERS OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
EXCEPTIONS TO REGISTRATION AND FEES
§1301.26 Exemptions from import or export requirements for personal medical use.

*IF* as a US resident you are allowed to bring back any at all, it appears there is a 50 dose limit, not the 90 day supply that the FDA document above indicates they normally don't object to for other medications.

I know as someone who lives in Canada, when I contacted US CBP about bringing in Tylenol 1 for personal use as a tourist, they advised me of the 50 dosage unit limit. And it has to be declared.

FYI - finding 50 dose bottles in Canada, IME, can be a challenge, as they often come in 100 count bottles. Some pharmacies do carry the 50 count bottles, though.

SW

FYI - finding 50 dose bottles in Canada, IME, can be a challenge, as they often come in 100 count bottles. Some pharmacies do carry the 50 count bottles, though.

That's odd - most pharmacies, at least where I live, sell them in bottles of 30, 60 or 100. I currently have a bottle of 30 count - generic brand. I rarely buy the 100 count unless I plan to divide them up into smaller bottles to put in different spots.

That's odd - most pharmacies, at least where I live, sell them in bottles of 30, 60 or 100. I currently have a bottle of 30 count - generic brand. I rarely buy the 100 count unless I plan to divide them up into smaller bottles to put in different spots.

I'd love to find a nice small bottle of 30, but the pharmacies here only have 50 or 100, depending which one you go to. A couple trips ago I tried to find the 50 bottles, since the physical bottle is smaller [I only carried what I need for the trip plus a few extra doses in case of delays], which is how I discovered some pharmacies here have 50s and some have 100s -- my pharmacy only had the 100s and it took me checking at about a half dozen pharmacies before I found one with the 50 count. All generics.

I'll have to check again to see if the bottle counts have changed more recently. We use them so infrequently even a bottle of 50 will usually expire before it all gets used.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter