Uber/Lyft on Thanksgiving day (from LAX to Anaheim)

sky13

DIS Veteran
I know there are a million and one threads about getting from LAX to Anaheim and back, but needed to ask very specifically: are there likely to be issues with getting a Uber or Lyft from LAX to Anaheim on the night of Thanksgiving (arriving into LAX around 10pm)? Since this is a holiday I'm wondering if there will be fewer drivers on the road making it difficult to get one...

Essentially, if it's likely to be difficult to get an Uber then I'll pre-book Super Shuttle or Lansky (it's so expensive though compared to the other options). But if Uber is a viable option then I'll probably go with Uber...

Anyone have experience of using Uber or Lyft on a holiday?

I know there are a million and one threads about getting from LAX to Anaheim and back, but needed to ask very specifically: are there likely to be issues with getting a Uber or Lyft from LAX to Anaheim on the night of Thanksgiving (arriving into LAX around 10pm)? Since this is a holiday I'm wondering if there will be fewer drivers on the road making it difficult to get one...

Essentially, if it's likely to be difficult to get an Uber then I'll pre-book Super Shuttle or Lansky (it's so expensive though compared to the other options). But if Uber is a viable option then I'll probably go with Uber...

Anyone have experience of using Uber or Lyft on a holiday?

No experience with doing it on a major holiday specifically, but I wouldn't even think twice about it if I were planning to do it. I don't think you'll have a problem.

I read an article that Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas are the three days there are the fewest drivers. So there is a high likelihood you could end up with surge pricing in effect. The good thing is at that time of night you probably have a good chance of not getting into surge pricing. That $55 ride could quickly approach $100 with surge pricing. Having other options would be a good idea.

I think you should definitely have a backup plan. Holidays are notorious for not having enough Uber/Lyft drivers and they tend to have surge pricing. Can you book a super shuttle when you land at the airport still (I did this once AGES ago)?

We used Lyft last year on Thanksgiving from SNA to DLR. There were plenty of drivers.

I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case is that you have a short wait.

Thanks all!

I hadn't even considered that surge pricing might be in effect on Thanksgiving day!

Tempted to book Super Shuttle now - since we're landing so late it doesn't really matter how long it takes to get to the hotel... At least it's a guaranteed way of getting from LAX to Anaheim...

As a Lyft driver, those ARE the days to drive because there's surge pricing. Plenty of people will be driving, but you'll pay more for that ride.

You can pre-book both Uber and Lyft. Not sure if that 'locks in' the rate though. I'd expect not.

It doesn't even lock in a driver, if I remember correctly.

We are offered scheduled rides and someone does in fact accept ahead of time, so you should know your driver. Perhaps not immediately, but before the time of your ride.

Just to update - I ended up booking Super Shuttle for my LAX-Fairfield Inn ride on Thanksgiving, mainly as I was worried about the availability of Uber/Lyft on Thanksgiving. Super Shuttle was super easy to use with the app - I just followed their directions from baggage claim to their stop at LAX Terminal 7 (the app can show where you are on a map and where to walk to), and checked in through the app and was able to track where the assigned driver was and when he was going to arrive at the Super Shuttle stop.

For reference - I checked Lyft at that time too and it was around $50 for the same trip, which was just a couple dollars more than what Super Shuttle cost for 3 of us. So that could have been an option too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!